Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

I agree. Also the comma in the way, that could maybe go away?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Yup both would be good.

I need to check if I can make one similar to Omni's as well as an alternative for people that prefer it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually I put the label there so it's easier to distinguish the topic titles from the nicks but whatever. :P Also Street if you do that it might be better to take the code of a topic listing (such as http://codewalr.us/index.php?board=1.0 )  and modify it so that it lists topics from any visible board instead of just one. You could maybe ask for help to Cooliojazz. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

I added something to the todo list, although I am unsure if many people use it, but it seems that there are problems reaching the site via a Playstation Vita. I assume it's the same browser as the PS3 but I could be wrong. Basically, after about 6 pages, the browser will throw Connection Failed messages and a browser restart will be required. The error is also trigger as soon as you try submitting a new post.

Also the language drop down at the top of every page was temporarily removed, because when somebody changed his language it changed everyone else's instead of just his.

Go to Profile->account settings to change the language now.

EDIT: A new dropdown has been added. However if you are not logged in, the setting will only persist during that session or at least until you logged in again.

Dream of Omnimaga

Very minor security update: Permissions for post ratings were wrong. Normally, only people with at least 20 posts should be able to Like/Flag posts (to prevent vote spamming from brother/friend/duplicate accounts). But permission issues allowed anybody with an account to do it, so this was now fixed.

Dream of Omnimaga

So the top post blocks now shows 5 users. I need to make the title clickable, though, and get rid of those underlines.

Dream of Omnimaga

There is now an extra easter egg on the forums.

Hint: HP Prime

aetios

Okay. I had a laptop to run a backup server on, but I'm afraid I fried the power circuit. At least it doesn't respond to plugging the charger anymore.

Should not use chargers that look broken. They usually are.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

"Huh, did it made a bunch of sparks? Meh, just plug it anyway."

I hope that will be quick and not too expensive to repair that up.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

aetios

I have no idea how much it'll cost. Not that I care: I don't intend on repairing it anyway.

Dream of Omnimaga

That sucks aeTIos. I think you should get a new laptop or desktop if you plan  to replace it because repairing it will cost much more than a new computer, especially if you get it repaired at a store or something.  That's unless you live in USA where you can order parts online for dirt cheap with free shipping and do it yourself.

EDIT: Update on forum theme: Attachment text is now larger and download links bolded.

Dream of Omnimaga

Bump: Something we might need to get fixed ASAP because it states that this might affect our Google ranking when people use Google from a mobile device:

QuoteWebmaster Tools
Fix mobile usability issues found on http://codewalr.us/

To: webmaster of http://codewalr.us/

Google systems have tested 79 pages from your site and found that 99% of them have critical mobile usability errors. The errors on these 78 pages severely affect how mobile users are able to experience your website. These pages will not be seen as mobile-friendly by Google Search, and will therefore be displayed and ranked appropriately for smartphone users.

Fix this now:

Find problematic pages
View a report of the non-mobile-friendly pages found on your site, and the issues discovered.
Inspect mobile issues
Learn about mobile-friendly design
There are a variety of techniques you can use to make your site mobile-friendly. Specifically, look for information about the issues brought up in Webmaster Tools.
Follow our guidelines
3   Fix mobile usability issues on your site
Fix the issues preventing your site from being mobile-friendly.
Not sure how to proceed?

•   If your site is built with software like Wordpress or Joomla (also known as "Content Management System" or CMS), read the easy steps to make a CMS mobile-friendly.
•   Read more about building mobile-friendly websites on our Developer site.
•   Ask more questions in our Webmaster Central Forum —mention message type [WNC-451500]

But I'll need assistance from more experienced web developers.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Suggestion : add Duke Tape as smiley, it'd take the "(-_(//));" code! :p (Oh and original content guys!  :thumbsup: )
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

aetios

I'm not sure how urgent it is to fix that issue DJ. Do we have a list of incompatible pages?