Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

Not if an old version of chrome is already installed. In that case I use chrome canary.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Yuki

I did that a while ago, but I forgot to tell you guys: http://codewalr.us/recent

Also we have a file uploader! It's up to you to find where it is (although you can find some clues at some places) :P But I still want to give you some rules about it in case you find it.

The file uploader is perfect for quickly sharing some small files such as calc screenshots and random smilies, and WalrusIRC will show a 50px thumbnail when you post it there, but please don't abuse it and upload a lot of files. The file limit is 128KB, you should be enough. (Note: the maximum file size can change at any time.) It cannot upload anything else than images either. The files are subject to all our forum and IRC rules, so no NSFW. The uploads are logged and I can know who uploaded what, so yeah, watch yourselves :P We also recommend Omnimaga's http://img.ourl.ca for anything else such as bigger image files and have fun!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It's installed in your Appdata folder,  not in Program Files.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on February 18, 2015, 12:52:55 AM
I did that a while ago, but I forgot to tell you guys: http://codewalr.us/recent

Also we have a file uploader! It's up to you to find where it is (although you can find some clues at some places) :P But I still want to give you some rules about it in case you find it.

The file uploader is perfect for quickly sharing some small files such as calc screenshots and random smilies, and WalrusIRC will show a 50px thumbnail when you post it there, but please don't abuse it and upload a lot of files. The file limit is 128KB, you should be enough. (Note: the maximum file size can change at any time.) It cannot upload anything else than images either. The files are subject to all our forum and IRC rules, so no NSFW. The uploads are logged and I can know who uploaded what, so yeah, watch yourselves :P We also recommend Omnimaga's http://img.ourl.ca for anything else such as bigger image files and have fun!
Nice update for the image uploader. Just make sure to add a flood control of like 8 files a day (maybe 4 an hour too so people won't spam in one go) in case in the future. If 30 members upload 8 files a day non-stop for 3 years straight and all those files are 128 KB large, then our disk space is maxed out. Maybe we should make it so that there cannot be more than 1000 files in the folder and the oldest file gets deleted once the limit is hit?

Nonetheless, this gets quite handy when I want to post a screenshot fast (assuming it's not a very long topic page requiring me to scroll a lot) because I can now upload it directly from the same page where I am posting, then grab the URL. :P

Also is there anything new on the Recent posts page or is http://codewalr.us/recent just a redirect?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 18, 2015, 08:02:18 AM
Nonetheless, this gets quite handy when I want to post a screenshot fast (assuming it's not a very long topic page requiring me to scroll a lot) because I can now upload it directly from the same page where I am posting, then grab the URL. :P
Yeah, that's the point :P

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 18, 2015, 08:02:18 AM
Also is there anything new on the Recent posts page or is http://codewalr.us/recent just a redirect?
Yep, just a redirect.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

That reminds me, at one point Street or yourself said they might look into SMF's topic listing to see if they could do their own recent posts mod based on it. I wonder what happened to this?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

I don't know if it was reported already and 26 pages is a bit too long for me to check :P

WalrusIRC doesn't scroll automatically for everyone. Cumred_Snektron (Chrome) said it worked but matref and I (Firefox) are having problems.
Note, I am only talking about the embedded thing, http://omnomirc.codewalr.us/ works great.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Already reported there with my Fx on Windoze 8x64

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah same issue in Firefox here. Seems like juju's code is Chrome/Chromium-only.

Dream of Omnimaga

So the todo list on the first page was quite out of date. I updated it now: http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=2.0

Among the most recent entries in the TODO list are the following:
-If possible, a mod that adds extra customizable links to the post/quick-reply form (for example, if we want to link to an img.ourl.ca pop up) or make img.codewalr.us work with the post forms instead of just WalrusIRC.
-Make WalrusIRC show forum users in the online list instead of just IRC users
-Get a better Recent Posts mod similar to the one Omnimaga has (or the actual one they use, although it has been several months since we asked permission.)
-Figure out why website stops working randomly (and prevents posting) on the Playstation Vita browser, requiring a restart.
-Make current site skin mobile-friendly (Mediaqueries) - http://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=187.

Site development has kinda stalled in the last month (eg school for people in charge of fixing certain issues I cannot fix and in my case, both being exhausted from work or stress) or so but a lot of things on the todo list were either finished long ago or got worked around, while some were deemed impossible to fix/not a serious issue.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Usually it crashes on Playstation handeld devices because of their low memory. It happened to me on some old websites with the PSP, it'll happen on the Vita also on bigger sites. (IIRc it only has 256/512 MB RAM...)

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean when you get the Failed connection message? I guess that could explain things. The message is rather cryptic, though. >.<

What sucks is that Tapatalk isn't even available for the PSVita. All there is is WAP, WAP2 and imode, which are basically like text-based CodeWalrus.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I'm going to be honnest to you : almost no one is browsing the intertubes with the Vita. even though their browser is based on Opera, Opera itself have a really tiny brwosing part and thus the Vita (or the Wii) is way smaller. I don't think web devs will get to catch some more annoyment for something that won't even run a medium-heavy sized site (I'm talking about heavy scripts like jQuery or something like these).

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I guess you have a point. It's probably why not much effort was put in the Vita/PS3 browser and why not many develop for it. I know also that the Vita isn't that popular. However, some people don't have a computer and only have their gaming console as a way to get online. I know on TIMGUL we had an user that used the site using a PS3.

I'm probably gonna strike out that from the todo list, though, because it's among the oldest thing added in the most recent (in black) stuff that got appended there and it's probably not a serious issue for everyone. I was mostly worried that it was a site bug or something or perhaps because of OmnomIRC since the problem only happened when logged in.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I have often these errors, I don't think they're related to the sites I get them though.