Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Commands?

Started by Woodrow, January 25, 2018, 01:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodrow

I don't understand these commands/functions:

ln(
Web
Time
Menu( ((I get the syntax, and I even made a menu myself, but I can't figure out how to make it useful without using up a stupid amount of storage))
Lbl
Goto
GarbageCollect
sin(
cos(
tan(
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: TI-83+, iPhone, Nintendo Switch, iPad, Kindle
.emaG ehT esol won lliw uoy ,siht gnidaer rof tnemhsinup sA

JWinslow23

ln( is the natural logarithm, log base e (= 2.71828182845...).

Web has to do with graphing iterations of a function in Seq mode, and is admittedly of little use to programmers.

Time has a similar use to Web, but it graphs sequences as series of points.

Menu( does take a stupid amount of storage, yes, but to be fair, making your own menu often takes more (not always, though!).

Lbl and Goto are used to jump to places in the program. Lbl marks points in the program with one or two character names (which can include 0-9, A-Z, and theta), and Goto jumps directly to those points.

GarbageCollect is a command (usually triggered automatically) that clears up "garbage" data in the archive, which can build up if you archive and unarchive things often.

sin(, cos(, and tan( (as well as the many variants you will find in the catalog with 2ND+0) are trigonometric functions. cos( represents an X value on the unit circle, sin( represents a Y value on the unit circle, and tan( is the sin( value divided by the cos( value (which can result in an error if cos(X)=0!).

For future reference, TI-BASIC Developer is a good resource for any information you need about a command. :)

Woodrow

Quote from: JWinslow23 on January 25, 2018, 02:14:48 PM
ln( is the natural logarithm, log base e (= 2.71828182845...).

Web has to do with graphing iterations of a function in Seq mode, and is admittedly of little use to programmers.

Time has a similar use to Web, but it graphs sequences as series of points.

Menu( does take a stupid amount of storage, yes, but to be fair, making your own menu often takes more (not always, though!).

Lbl and Goto are used to jump to places in the program. Lbl marks points in the program with one or two character names (which can include 0-9, A-Z, and theta), and Goto jumps directly to those points.

GarbageCollect is a command (usually triggered automatically) that clears up "garbage" data in the archive, which can build up if you archive and unarchive things often.

sin(, cos(, and tan( (as well as the many variants you will find in the catalog with 2ND+0) are trigonometric functions. cos( represents an X value on the unit circle, sin( represents a Y value on the unit circle, and tan( is the sin( value divided by the cos( value (which can result in an error if cos(X)=0!).

For future reference, TI-BASIC Developer is a good resource for any information you need about a command. :)

Thank you!

I'm not in trig classes yet, but using desmos with sin/cos/tan functions produces some amazing results lol
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: TI-83+, iPhone, Nintendo Switch, iPad, Kindle
.emaG ehT esol won lliw uoy ,siht gnidaer rof tnemhsinup sA