Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

AdventureWalrus! [CSE] [xlibC]

Started by Unicorn, April 04, 2015, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

bump:

Well, I have the fighting engine just about done! :w00t:

Anyways, just a quick question: Does the delay and graphics suffice for each person, you and enemy? Tell me what you think! (I want ideas :) )

And I really need to make a bug report for those display issues.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

THis looks good so far and I'm glad that you have made progress. My suggestions:

If you add a background to battles, instead of making the enemy/walrii sprites blink inside an inverted square, you should just change COLOUR_OFFSET with real(0,3,5,VALUE then redraw the sprite, then change COLOUR_OFFSET back to zero then redraw the sprite again and so on. If the offset is 255 it will make the sprite outline become white and setting it lower might change some other colors. This would create a nice effect like in some SNES RPGs when enemies attack and Reuben Quest series used a similar effect too.

During battles you should keep the energy UI intact (the purple box should remain) for the sake of consistency.

Maybe make the purple box border white instead of black? And perhaps make it with a gradient (eg the inside of the border could be gray and the outside white)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

Looks great! Glad that you are working out the functions - everything seems to be coming together nicely :).

Unicorn

Hmm, yeah, I should put the status bar on the bottom in the fighting program. I'm not sure what you mean about the offset, I guess I'll have to take a look at that. I don't really want to make another background AppVar, so is there some other animation you could suggest for an attack?

Thanks at ton for the suggestions! :)

And thanks, tr1p :D
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

For the battle background you could just make some sort of gradient with rectangle commands. I am not sure for attacks. Also by color offset you would need to check xLLIBC wiki. Basically, it makes the sprite colors rotate around the xLIB color spectrum (eg with an offset of 255, black becomes white)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Looking good so far, I see you used Chibii. :P

Unicorn

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 01, 2015, 12:29:48 PM
Looking good so far, I see you used Chibii. :P
Chibii? Do you mean the icon?

DJ: I guess I may do then when the game is finished, for know I just want it done.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Chibii is the name of the 16x16 :walrii:

Good luck Unicorn :)

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 03, 2015, 03:51:05 AM
Chibii is the name of the 16x16 :walrii:
Ah, didn't know.

Anyways, I should hopefully get a good amount done tonight

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool to hear. Do you still have a crapload of stuff to add yet besides maps?

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 03, 2015, 05:05:55 AM
Cool to hear. Do you still have a crapload of stuff to add yet besides maps?
Well, I need to figure out how to make the map have borders, or maybe I shouldn't.... Anyhow, I need to figure that out, along with leveling up health and stuff. I'm thinking that when you beat a boss you get a token that you can use to upgrade health or attack.

And actually this is probably going to be called WalrusAdventure now.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

For borders you could draw the map as it is in screenshots above, but for maps with exits, you could just draw a plain rectangle on the appropriate side to create an exit. That rectangle would be brown like the floor, of course. You would also need to add a green grass border at the bottom above the HUD, though. As for the token thing, I like the idea. You could get money when defeating enemies to buy items, and bosses would allow you to upgrade 1 specific stat or something. Some bosses could be secret so you would need to find them.

Unicorn

To prevent confusion, I have a list of what is going to happen.

MAP
~ It will be an infinite map, with 1 room you can go through at a time.

ENEMIES
~ Whenever you move, there is a random chance that you will find an enemy.
~ The enemies any level, between 1 and 6
~ Bosses are level 7
~ Your damage is changeable, by buying attack upgrades, using coins you get from beating enemies.
~ You damage dealt will be maxed out, depending on your level, which at that point, you can either fight the boss, to upgrade 2 levels, or get enough coins to upgrade
~ If you beat a boss, you get to level up to an even number.  If you level up by buying, you increase by one level.
~ So far, you can only go up to about level 7, which is when you try to beat the final boss, bringing peace to WalriiLand, or wherever.

HELP
~ I would like to see more suggestions for battle animations.
~ Please also suggest ideas you have, like more walruses, boss types, and such.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

How will you find bosses, by the way? Will there be a specific pattern or set of objectives to follow to spice the game up and not make it too repetitive?

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 06, 2015, 05:25:03 AM
How will you find bosses, by the way? Will there be a specific pattern or set of objectives to follow to spice the game up and not make it too repetitive?
That is something I haven't gotten to yet. What do you suggest? I'm thinking that when you get to a certain level, the boss starts appearing in fights.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???