Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Tetris

Started by aetios, November 16, 2014, 01:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I guess backgrounds from Supersonic Ball or perhaps other ones I made could be modified then re-used. Also I tried this game when it was posted secretly and it's quite cool so far. :) How do you make blocks fall down instantly, though?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Animated backgrounds are definitely possible.I have been thinking about a scoring mechanism, nad I came up with the following:
There's a base line score of current_level*2. If you fill multiple lines at once, you get a +1x multiplier on this base score per line. e.g. if you are level 9 and make a tetris, you get a whopping 18+36+54+72=180 points :0 On top of that if you keep cleaning lines in subsequent turns your base line score goes up by (current_level-1)/3+1 points per turn (current level / 3 rounded up). If you make a tetris, you get a permanent score multiplier bonus of +0.2. Clearing the screen gives you +0.1 score multiplier. Insta-dropping will award you 0.5x the distance dropped in score.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 18, 2014, 03:15:17 AM
I guess backgrounds from Supersonic Ball or perhaps other ones I made could be modified then re-used. Also I tried this game when it was posted secretly and it's quite cool so far. :) How do you make blocks fall down instantly, though?
You don't. It's currently unimplemented. :P
Quote from: aeTIos on November 18, 2014, 12:18:59 PM
Animated backgrounds are definitely possible.I have been thinking about a scoring mechanism, nad I came up with the following:
There's a base line score of current_level*2. If you fill multiple lines at once, you get a +1x multiplier on this base score per line. e.g. if you are level 9 and make a tetris, you get a whopping 18+36+54+72=180 points :0 On top of that if you keep cleaning lines in subsequent turns your base line score goes up by (current_level-1)/3+1 points per turn (current level / 3 rounded up). If you make a tetris, you get a permanent score multiplier bonus of +0.2. Clearing the screen gives you +0.1 score multiplier. Insta-dropping will award you 0.5x the distance dropped in score.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Sounds good to me. :)
I'd make clearing the screen more rewarding though since it's way harder than doing a tetris lol.

Dream of Omnimaga

How does one clear the entire screen instantly, though? O.O

I like the ideas otherwise, though. Just make sure that above level 9 you don't get like 300000 pts for each Tetris or something like in the NES tool-assisted speed-run.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Well, there's copying stuff to the screen and actually drawing. The latter requires a lot of calculations, especially with transparency where you need to test every pixel.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I meant clearing the entire screen as in clearing lines during gameplay. I was confused because you can't clear the entire screen instantly with just 1 vertical block. It takes like 4 or 5 :P

Keoni29

Does it have mode B? (Clearing a certain amt of lines with a screen filled with random blocks at the beginning)
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

aetios

No, because there's no mode select screen yet :P I plan to add it, though. It's quite a classic. Anyways I made quite a bit of progress yesterday: I added a scoring system :D It's not quite finished yet (I still have to add certain situation checks) but it's already very playable.
Download beta 0.0.1 here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64788231/tetris001.tns The version numbers after this will be determined using a 1d4+2d10 dice roll :P

Dream of Omnimaga

I tried last night copy and the score leaves traces behind digits when updated.

aetios

Yeah, that's because the screen isn't wiped on update. It only re-draws the tilemap :)

novenary

Quote from: aeTIos on November 19, 2014, 06:57:48 AM
The version numbers after this will be determined using a 1d4+2d10 dice roll :P
Haha yes do that. I'm sure you'll beat Firefox/Chrome version numbers really fast. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, you should really implement Next block feature so we know what block is about to appear, like in other Tetris games :P

novenary

I think it's already implemented but not sure. In the code I mean, no visual output yet.

aetios

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 19, 2014, 11:42:49 PM
I think it's already implemented but not sure. In the code I mean, no visual output yet.
This is not entirely true. Sure I can know what block is next up, but I will have to generate 2 bags at a time because eventually I want to give a next 5 blocks preview. I also want to add the ability to put a piece on hold, and I want to add a drop shadow (this will make insta-dropping a lot easier)

novenary

Wow that sounds ambitious. At first we were trying to recreate the gameboy classic lol.