Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Telegram bots

Started by Yuki, July 06, 2015, 08:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Ever since the founding of CodeWalrus, we've been using Telegram for admin communication and other random stuff among friends, additionally to IRC. Recently, Telegram released an API to easily make bots, since then many of us has been developing our own bots, like Eiyeron's W-800 and my YukiBot. Starting from today, YukiBot added relaying between our IRC channel and a Telegram group we created for that, so you can chat on IRC and our WalrusIRC chatbox from Telegram!

If you have a Telegram account, join the group today and join the fun!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

aetios

This is the most awesome development in bots to day, I think. Awesome job, I was starting to not use IRC as much but now that we have a telegram relay I will probably become way more active again :D

I have a couple suggestions, though, mainly on the telegram side:

o) Let the message start at the username, so filter out the first uhh, 7-something characters; snip off the ' <l|> 4 ' part.
o) Parse Walrified nomifications
o) Get rid off the random color codes
o) On the WIRC side, maybe try making WIRC display the user who sends the message rather than 'YukiTG'. This should be possible as we're already doing that with IRC->WIRC comms.
o) Maybe also try fetching the nickname to display?

Then some other less important-but-still-interesting points
o) re-host telegram images to an image hosting site?
o) maybe same for audio and video? (Not sure how feasible this is. I know however that we have plenty of bandwitdh on the server and also I guess we can reserve some space for images as they aren't that big)
o) Stickers: I guess we can make WIRC display something to indicate there's been a sticker sent to make telegram-sided sticker communications make some sense on the other side.

I guess that's it :P
Again great job, this has been a long living wish of a bunch of us because telegram is just so darn awesome
ceci n'est pas une signature

alexgt

O.O everyone in IRC is using it :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

bb010g

Quote from: alexgt on July 06, 2015, 04:08:42 PM
O.O everyone in IRC is using it :P
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. I think it was only a matter of time before this happens, considering many of us use Telegram to chat. The bot needs to show forum nicks and be renamed to 2 chars, though, else it's hard to read.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

It's pretty much an experiment right now, but glad you like it. You'll understand it misses quite a lot of features right now (I coded this thing at like 3am), don't worry it's planned, like color parsing and photo upload.

Quote from: aeTIos on July 06, 2015, 01:35:50 PM
o) Let the message start at the username, so filter out the first uhh, 7-something characters; snip off the ' <l|> 4 ' part.
Putting the bot on EFNet does help.
o) Parse Walrified nomifications
o) On the WIRC side, maybe try making WIRC display the user who sends the message rather than 'YukiTG'. This should be possible as we're already doing that with IRC->WIRC comms.
Integrating it to WIRC should be doable, kinda weirder, though.
o) Get rid off the random color codes
Yes, of course.
o) Maybe also try fetching the nickname to display?
Piece of cake.

Then some other less important-but-still-interesting points
o) re-host telegram images to an image hosting site?
o) maybe same for audio and video? (Not sure how feasible this is. I know however that we have plenty of bandwitdh on the server and also I guess we can reserve some space for images as they aren't that big)
o) Stickers: I guess we can make WIRC display something to indicate there's been a sticker sent to make telegram-sided sticker communications make some sense on the other side.
That would all go to an image hosting site. It's a planned feature.

Yeah, thanks to the new API it was indeed made easier to make such bot.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

DarkestEx

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see that all implemented :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Audio could go on an audio hosting site maybe?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I'm working on a file hosting site, supports video, audio and everything and it'll be integrated into YukiBot, I'll probably use that.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

CKH4

Would it be possible to have the telegram bot convert the <name> part of the message to the name column?

Edit. Also it'd be cool if it kept the <> because then we could know if something was from telegram.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

The bot no longer relays messages between IRC and Telegtam, it seems D: @Juju

Yuki

Sorunome rebooted his server just as I was leaving for the weekend (you sly son of a pony :P) (because for some reason I've put it on his server because YukiBot was already there), so I didn't had time to start my services back. I'm going to restart it now.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I also noticed that my FTP was down for months so I told him, but I only realized that the bots were down much later.

Shouldn't you move the bots to CodeWalrus server instead?

Yuki

Probably, yes. (And by YukiBot I meant the telegram bot, not the IRC bot, FYI.)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I know. I still think that all the bots should be hosted on CW server, though.