Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your favorite chiptune music

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipi

I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen krelez mentioned yet, since he uploads great tracks.

• Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

utz

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 22, 2016, 02:07:11 AM
@utz might recognize a few of those old computers or the music style on them:

Damn right I recognize these :D My favourite OST from the Ys series is the original Ancient Ys though, specifically the OPN/PC-88/98 version.

• Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice find 123outerme. It seems like a  blend between 8 and 16 bits btw, with some non-chiptune tracks in-between but still with some chiptune elements, so perhaps that might be why it wasn't posted?

Also Utz yeah I didn't post Ys 1 because I couldn't find comparison videos of it. My favorite Ys 1 version, music-wise, is the FM77AV and 2001 PC remake, because they have the longer version of the Dark Fact battle song, which I always loved:

This version starts like the PC-8801 version, but there is an extra part. The 2001 PC OST is a remake of the FM77AV OST.

I wish someone made a ROM hack of Ys IV for the SNES that turned the game and music into Ancient Ys Vanished. It would be cool to hear how Ys I music sounds like with ys IV: Mask of the Sun soundfonts.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 01:48:05 AM
Nice find 123outerme. It seems like a  blend between 8 and 16 bits btw, with some non-chiptune tracks in-between but still with some chiptune elements, so perhaps that might be why it wasn't posted?
(That was Scipi, not me)
But while I'm here, I might as well leave some of mine.

I imagine these are pretty widespread, in comparison to the other stuff, but nonetheless I enjoy good chiptune as well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

For odd reasons, I always mix up his avatar with yours. My bad >.<

Also Terranigma rules. I got a repro cart for the SNES but it doesn't keep my saves if I remove the cartridge from the SNES, which sucks. D: I need to find a way to play PAL games on American SNES consoles at some point. Also the rest of the Soul Blazer trilogy (which Terranigma is part of) is great. Soul Blazer is the first game and Illusion of Gaia is the second.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 03:07:49 AM

Also Terranigma rules. I got a repro cart for the SNES but it doesn't keep my saves if I remove the cartridge from the SNES, which sucks. D: I need to find a way to play PAL games on American SNES consoles at some point. Also the rest of the Soul Blazer trilogy (which Terranigma is part of) is great. Soul Blazer is the first game and Illusion of Gaia is the second.
It's all good. I want to play Terranigma by emulating the SNES on my Wii, but I have Melee on my Wii right now and don't know when I'll want to take it off.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

aetios

One of my all-time favourites will always be Dubmood's cover of 3D Galax. His version of Afterburner is awesome as well :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

p4nix

Quote from: aeTIos on February 25, 2016, 09:26:49 AM
One of my all-time favourites will always be Dubmood's cover of 3D Galax. His version of Afterburner is awesome as well :D

Same for me. :)
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on February 25, 2016, 01:01:02 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 03:07:49 AM

It's all good. I want to play Terranigma by emulating the SNES on my Wii, but I have Melee on my Wii right now and don't know when I'll want to take it off.
Why can't you have both at once?

Quote from: aeTIos on February 25, 2016, 09:26:49 AM
I remember that song. One of my favorites and still in my YT playlists.

garvalf

I agree Utz, Ys has one of the greatest soundtrack for a game. It's deep and moving.

A favorite of mine when I was younger (and I'm still enjoying it): (Stormlord on Atari ST)
I love the in-game music as well:

In more recent discovery, there is this one (Kjell Nordbø) : https://soundcloud.com/vicious-sid/genuine-madness?in=vicious-sid/sets/vicious-sid-volume-2
There are a bunch of tracks I dislike from him (mostly the funky / happy stuff), but the melancolic ones are so nice...

Other musics I like are the Beyond the Ice Palace and  Xenon 1 musics on the Atari ST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2yGJzaa_I&list=PLvf41E1k8S56HHewILZJ07qDZdRJP-UcO&index=3

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

utz

Yeah, Xenon music rulez! Beyond the Ice Palace is nice, too, though that was a conversion from C64 iirc.

Also, Kjell Nordbø, yes. One of the greatest SID composers of all times imo. I have to thank you again for bringing his music to my attention. His brings tears to my eyes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

garvalf

QuoteI have to thank you again for bringing his music to my attention

you're welcome ;)
I think I've learnt about him on the goto80 blog.

We're having the same discussion we once had on your blog, this "indre kildre" reminds me of ! (I'm copying the link here too, so people can listen to those great music as well).

Some more which move me quite much:

(cool project btw: http://www.6581-8580.com/post.php?id=000006012016182402 )

###########

Other musics I like are the Ultima III, IV and V (by Ken Arnold):

Ultima VI music is wonderful too (FM/adlib):

and Wizardry music (by Mike Alsop) is good too:

EDIT (by DJ Omnimaga): Merged double-post
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

My favorite 16-bit music of all time is Crazy Bus (Sega Mega Drive) theme.

Just kidding, I am listening to parts of the above right now and I like that Stormlord menu theme. I heard it before but I couldn't figure out where it was from. It's a shame that personal computers were not popular in the 80's in North America. It's quite ironic considering in 1983 the North American video game console market collapsed, so you would have expected the Commodore and Atari ST to take over until the NES came out.

As for the links you posted Garvalf, I always loved how some of the sound effects used in C64 and Atari ST music, and perhaps even the Amiga, were ahead of their time, especially compared to what we hear on the NES. Also that Wizardry song is just epic. I also like this version:

Also I remember way back in 2001 or 2002 when I tried making a Wizardry style RPG for the TI-83 Plus, but it was mainly outside rather than in dungeons. I wish I didn't lose it.

On a side note I also like Wizardry V music. I really need to dig further in the early parts of the series to hear more of its OST.

Dream of Omnimaga

Here is some Stratovarius in 16-bits style:

Dream of Omnimaga

This is a friggin amazing rendition of Valestine Castle theme from Ys III, on the MSX FM chip: