Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your favorite chiptune music

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Storm

I like metal (power metal  :thumbsup:), some melodic chipset music, so when a guy made a remix of Inis Mona by Eluveitie on 8bits, I found it very good :)

https://soundcloud.com/whitemages8/inis-mona-8bit-white-mage
French young Casio programmer.
If I do some (big) mistakes in english, could you correct me?

Keoni29

You might like some of DJ's work then ;)
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dark Storm

French young Casio programmer.
If I do some (big) mistakes in english, could you correct me?

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Travis on January 01, 2015, 09:13:50 AM
I've come across so many chiptune favorites I couldn't possibly list them all. In the NES genre, the most recent gems I've found (using VRC6) are Esper Dream 2 and Madara. Neil Baldwin also made some awesome NES music, and I liked music by Alberto Gonzalez, too (who did music for GB Turok series, NES Asterix, Smurfs, etc.). Oh, and NES The Immortal (Rob Hubbard) and the Namco N106 audio games are cool. Sorry I don't have specific links/videos handy; I downloaded all of these as NSFs years ago from sources I no longer remember.

Lot of cool homebrew NSF stuff I've come across on forums and 2a03.org before it vanished, as well. I've come across a lot of great MOD tunes, too, though they're a huge PITA (I haven't found a single MOD player that plays all of them correctly, if at all).

Wow I just listened to songs from the first two games you mentionned and I didn't realize the 2nd one was even possible on the famicom. It sounds very nice too. :) It's a shame that North America didn't get those games nor NES sound quality.

I didn't know about 2a03.org, though. Is any of the stuff available on Youtube?

By the way Travis, nice to see you around. :) Since you are very into old school games and music, I wonder if you might know where the original songs from Chiptune Rocker could be downloaded? I am missing song 3 and 4, for example. D:

Quote from: Dark Storm on January 01, 2015, 10:34:39 AM
I like metal (power metal  :thumbsup:), some melodic chipset music, so when a guy made a remix of Inis Mona by Eluveitie on 8bits, I found it very good :)

https://soundcloud.com/whitemages8/inis-mona-8bit-white-mage

Actually I think that remix was generated using GXSCC from either a MIDI found on the Internet or a MIDI that the guy made himself. However, this song came out pretty well (GXSCC is hit and miss because sometimes MIDI tracks are not converted properly and some people dislike it because it doesn't sound enough like the NES to them). Thanks for the sharing :) It's also my favorite Eluveitie track.

By the way I make power metal stuff, but it's not exactly chiptune since it was made using a Playstation 1 (which is a 32 bits console). I did make one chiptune song, though, called All the People in the House.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Travis

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 02, 2015, 07:00:19 AM
Wow I just listened to songs from the first two games you mentionned and I didn't realize the 2nd one was even possible on the famicom. It sounds very nice too. :) It's a shame that North America didn't get those games nor NES sound quality.

By the way Travis, nice to see you around. :) Since you are very into old school games and music, I wonder if you might know where the original songs from Chiptune Rocker could be downloaded? I am missing song 3 and 4, for example. D:

Yeah, it's striking what a couple of extra square waves and a sawtooth wave channel can do. The Famicon Castlevania III also used the VCR6, now that I remember, and had enhanced sound. The North America version we got had to scale back the music due to the lack of extra VRC6 channels.

Lagrange Point (VRC7) was a famous example of Konami sticking an entire Yamaha FM synthesizer chip on the cart and piping that through the analog audio pins. It was the only commercial game that used the sound, but there are quite a few homebrew NSFs that also use it. Namco N106 had a whopping eight sampling channels; I've seen people on chiptune forums actually complain that it's overkill. :P

Not sure if the 2a03.org archive is available anywhere; I haven't yet looked. There are some chiptune/NSF sites where at least some of that stuff might have been uploaded. I haven't really looked around in a while to see what's out there.

I'm not familiar with Chiptune Rocker, I'm afraid. Sorry. :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

TIfanx1999

The VRC7 is kind of similar to the sound chip that's inside the Sega Genesis, so it can produce a similar sound. There were several Famicom games that had access to more sound channels, they're pretty interesting to look into.

I'll leave these here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL0lhc494WGHbDpGvoiM31w
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUptJyGWFJKfzd7rcfeXD0w
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1KEDxD2ZP95p7TDdMSFeA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuC0A0ywnvzvPKiI0oKD0w

I also like Lukhash, David Wise, and Jake Kaufman.
For old school NES games, most anything from Konami, Capcom, and Sunsoft are fantastic. Also gotta agree with Scipi on Silver Surfer. Amazing soundtrack, stupid hard game.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Travis on January 02, 2015, 01:05:56 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 02, 2015, 07:00:19 AM

Yeah, it's striking what a couple of extra square waves and a sawtooth wave channel can do. The Famicon Castlevania III also used the VCR6, now that I remember, and had enhanced sound. The North America version we got had to scale back the music due to the lack of extra VRC6 channels.

Lagrange Point (VRC7) was a famous example of Konami sticking an entire Yamaha FM synthesizer chip on the cart and piping that through the analog audio pins. It was the only commercial game that used the sound, but there are quite a few homebrew NSFs that also use it. Namco N106 had a whopping eight sampling channels; I've seen people on chiptune forums actually complain that it's overkill. :P

Not sure if the 2a03.org archive is available anywhere; I haven't yet looked. There are some chiptune/NSF sites where at least some of that stuff might have been uploaded. I haven't really looked around in a while to see what's out there.

I'm not familiar with Chiptune Rocker, I'm afraid. Sorry. :(
IIRC Lagrange Point was also very expensive per Japanese standards because of the extra chip. If it had been sold in USA, I bet it would have costed as much as some late SNES era RPGs.

But yeah, Lagrange was truly the only Famicom game that used that chip entirely for sound. Some other games use extra sound capabilities but nowhere close to Lagrange. I was amazed when I saw that Silius just used the NES soundchip despite sounding much more complex than 8 bit stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Keoni29

Loading up midi's in fl-studio and changing the sounds to be chippy is lame. Everyone can do that.

Edit: Wow there is some really nice stuff on those channels, AoC. I just recently started playing Twilight princess again and I really like this song:
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Travis

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 03, 2015, 09:19:16 AM
IIRC Lagrange Point was also very expensive per Japanese standards because of the extra chip. If it had been sold in USA, I bet it would have costed as much as some late SNES era RPGs.

But yeah, Lagrange was truly the only Famicom game that used that chip entirely for sound. Some other games use extra sound capabilities but nowhere close to Lagrange. I was amazed when I saw that Silius just used the NES soundchip despite sounding much more complex than 8 bit stuff.

Yeah, that's what I've also heard regarding Lagrange Point.  Journey to Silius probably sounds distinctive because of SunSoft using the DMC/DPCM channel for bass samples. Most games just used it for drums and digitized sound effects. Using the sampling channel for melodic instruments was tricky due to the limited playback rates available, which is why (or so I've read) some of the bass notes in Sunsoft games are slightly out of tune (though I can't personally tell). Recca also made pretty extensive use of that channel in its music, to the point of almost making it sound like it's using more channels than there actually are.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

TIfanx1999

@Keoni: Yea, IKR? :D I might have a few more to drop in here. :D

@Travis and DJ: Sunsoft is know for using the sample channel (on NES) for bass. The drums (which are one of the main instruments usually sampled) are instead put on the triangle and noise channels. This creates a pretty distinctive sound from most other NES titles. Batman Return of the Joker, Ufouria, and Fester's Quest also make nice usage of the sampled bass.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Keoni29 on January 03, 2015, 12:47:00 PM
Loading up midi's in fl-studio and changing the sounds to be chippy is lame. Everyone can do that.

Edit: Wow there is some really nice stuff on those channels, AoC. I just recently started playing Twilight princess again and I really like this song:
I actually don't mind if people do that if it sounds good. I just don't like if they take someone else's MIDI file, replace the samples then claim it as their own remix/cover, plus doing this is prone to errors, such as too many channels or not sounding natural.

Also awesome video :D

Quote from: Travis on January 03, 2015, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 03, 2015, 09:19:16 AM

Yeah, that's what I've also heard regarding Lagrange Point.  Journey to Silius probably sounds distinctive because of SunSoft using the DMC/DPCM channel for bass samples. Most games just used it for drums and digitized sound effects. Using the sampling channel for melodic instruments was tricky due to the limited playback rates available, which is why (or so I've read) some of the bass notes in Sunsoft games are slightly out of tune (though I can't personally tell). Recca also made pretty extensive use of that channel in its music, to the point of almost making it sound like it's using more channels than there actually are.
I actually couldn't notice any out of tune basslines. We can sometimes notice the low sound sampling rate, though.
Quote from: Art_of_camelot on January 03, 2015, 09:30:08 PMBatman Return of the Joker, Ufouria, and Fester's Quest also make nice usage of the sampled bass.
For some reasons, I never could notice much difference in Batman Return of the Joker compared to other NES music? ??? Maybe the bass sample they used just sounded closer to NES bass so it didn't sound as advanced as Silius?

TIfanx1999

Not sure what to tell you but for comparison:

Sunsoft's first Batman game without sampled bass:

Sunsoft's Return of the Joker with sampled bass:

Dream of Omnimaga

Hmm for some reasons, music sounds different in this 2nd Return of the Joker video than in TASes I watched. Maybe the videos I watched were lower quality, which caused the bassline to become muddy and sound more like a triangle bass or something?

TIfanx1999

It's possible. I've noticed that stuff can sound differently depending on how the audio gets encoded. There are also some nes osts that are uploaded in "stereo" and it sounds way off compared to how it should.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I noticed that. Sometimes I wish I could listen to it in mono without echo but often it's the only video available.