Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalr.us Post Notifier [Windows] [Mac] [Linux]

Started by DarkestEx, May 17, 2015, 09:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

Awesome idea, and great implementation already :D
I might download it tomorrow if it's ready to use on Linux.

Not exactly on topic, but why is there two "+1/0" on that post instead of "+2/0" ?
Or maybe there's only one +1/0 but it is displayed twice ?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 28, 2015, 05:34:09 PM
Cool to hear. I'm gonna give it a try when I have a chance after it came out :) Is it Windows 7 compatible? (I see the theme but I don't remember if Windows 8 allowed you to use Windows 98/XP/7 themes)
Of course is it Windows 7 compatible (I am running Windows 7 as you see in the screenshot :P). It is compatible to Windows Vista and 8(.1) and all major Linuxes aswell. Mac should work too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

Quote from: Hayleia on May 28, 2015, 05:44:43 PMAwesome idea, and great implementation already :D
Thanks, Hayleia. Great that you use it on Linux. It should work fine on any Linux, and I already tested it on Ubuntu and Debian so far and it works great there.
Don't forget to install Mono ;)

Quote from: Hayleia on May 28, 2015, 05:44:43 PMNot exactly on topic, but why is there two "+1/0" on that post instead of "+2/0" ?
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe a bug in SMF?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on May 28, 2015, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 28, 2015, 05:34:09 PM
Cool to hear. I'm gonna give it a try when I have a chance after it came out :) Is it Windows 7 compatible? (I see the theme but I don't remember if Windows 8 allowed you to use Windows 98/XP/7 themes)
Of course is it Windows 7 compatible (I am running Windows 7 as you see in the screenshot :P). It is compatible to Windows Vista and 8(.1) and all major Linuxes aswell. Mac should work too.
Yeah I was asking since I wasn't sure what Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 used as theme options (eg if we could switch back to Windows Vista style. I know that in Windows 7 we can still use WIndows 95/98 theme)
Quote from: DarkestEx on May 28, 2015, 06:07:52 PM
Quote from: Hayleia on May 28, 2015, 05:44:43 PMAwesome idea, and great implementation already :D
Thanks, Hayleia. Great that you use it on Linux. It should work fine on any Linux, and I already tested it on Ubuntu and Debian so far and it works great there.
Don't forget to install Mono ;)

Quote from: Hayleia on May 28, 2015, 05:44:43 PMNot exactly on topic, but why is there two "+1/0" on that post instead of "+2/0" ?
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe a bug in SMF?
That's a problem resulting from failed mod install attempts a while ago. We tried to fix it but this pretty much destroyed our SMF install, so we reverted to a backup that had the problem and have yet to fix it. It should not be too hard, though, because it only requires editing a file for the CW theme.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Hey. Do you mind if I fork this to be a configurable notifier for any SMF forum that has the php script running (Specifically, I want to use this for Omni, but making a general solution makes the most sense imo)?
Well, I'm bach here too!

alexgt

Awesome I will definitely download this when it comes out :) :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on May 28, 2015, 07:34:25 PM
Hey. Do you mind if I fork this to be a configurable notifier for any SMF forum that has the php script running (Specifically, I want to use this for Omni, but making a general solution makes the most sense imo)?
I guess it would be a nice idea, since Tapatalk gets worse and worse after each Android update. If Cumred says yes then I guess just make sure to credit him and the original app (maybe link here too?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Actually, after looking at the php file, the script doesn't necessarily have to be on server. All I have to do is parse the xml file in the notifier, instead of on a server.

EDIT: errr... maybe not. I am no good at php and converting to other languages from php :P
Well, I'm bach here too!

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 28, 2015, 07:51:20 PM
I guess it would be a nice idea, since Tapatalk gets worse and worse after each Android update. If Cumred says yes then I guess just make sure to credit him and the original app (maybe link here too?)
Yeah, Tapatalk really gets worse and worse over the versions.

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on May 28, 2015, 08:17:42 PM
Actually, after looking at the php file, the script doesn't necessarily have to be on server. All I have to do is parse the xml file in the notifier, instead of on a server.

EDIT: errr... maybe not. I am no good at php and converting to other languages from php :P
The script does not have to be running on the same server. It basically only parses the API data that all SMF forums provide by default. Just change the define of the feed url to set it to another forum.
Yeah, I know. But to save the forum server traffic and capacity, to save time and because I like doing heavy string processing and multidimensional array stuff alot more on php than C#.
The script does also parse the feed and strip the html, caches and compress it before sending.

No problem, do whatever you want to do with the code. I licenced it under the MIT Licence. The only two important things are: If you accidentially screw anything up, its not my fault. And it'd be nice if you leave a small comment in the code that says that I made the base of it (It would be nice, but you don't have to ;)).

DarkestEx

The latest main UI is looking like this:

I don't think I'm going to change anything on this screen anymore.
How do you like it?

Unicorn

Looks pretty good! I like the smooth look.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, what would be cool, as I suggested on IRC, is if when loading new posts the title bar changed to reflect it, else I thought that the app froze for a few seconds. :P

Another nice thing would be if closing the app only minimized it in the Windows status bar as a :walrii: icon or something, with options to go in settings, maximize window, or quit the app entirely.

And maybe options to have the app auto-start on computer startup?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 31, 2015, 04:02:22 PM
On a side note, what would be cool, as I suggested on IRC, is if when loading new posts the title bar changed to reflect it,
Alright, In progress :)

else I thought that the app froze for a few seconds. :P
Yeah, it does. I am working on this right now.

Another nice thing would be if closing the app only minimized it in the Windows status bar as a :walrii: icon or something, with options to go in settings, maximize window, or quit the app entirely.

And maybe options to have the app auto-start on computer startup?
They're both nice things, but they're impossible to do sadly :(
I can minimize it, but this is not a Windows only application. It must run on Linux and Mac OS too. You can always put a shortcut to it into your Start Menu's Autostart folder and add the --minimized option to start it minimized.