Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Minecraft] [HP Prime] MinePrime - Minecraft on a Hp Prime!

Started by alexgt, April 20, 2015, 12:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

But then wouldn't it be slower to draw many translucent lava tiles than just 1 player sprite?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

alexgt

Yeah, but it would look cooler :P. Also I would have to have each loop run in 16.6 repeating milliseconds for it to be 60fps, and 33.3 repeating for 30fps so I am going to try for 30fps or higher. (I only need like 20 for it to look smooth though :P).
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

30 FPS would be fine. That said, even 15 would be ok, considering many calc games run at that speed. Good luck
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Yeah, I have been doing some tests and I should definitely be able to make it run quickly. Drawing 15 or 20 blocks to the edges of a GROB only takes 1 millisecond O.O. So if I can keep it below 33.3 milliseconds per loop I can use a wait function at the end that adjusts the wait duration dynamically with the amount of time it takes to run the code up in the actual game loop, that would make lag spikes very few and far between, and the ones there would be wouldn't be noticeable at all :)

Dream of Omnimaga

That is good to hear. I was curious about how updating the screen sides was in terms of speed, since just storing the entire map rendering in a massive GROB was a RAM hog. I'm glad you made the switch :3=

alexgt

Yeah, I am glad too :P.

Today I got the menus finalized and made the new world menus use the INPUT() command so the GUI isn't that pretty but it works :P And also I have world rendering for the whole screen at once is working to. I just have to design an in game GUI and then I can make a demo where you fly around the world ;).

And hopefully with my experience before I won't have any problems or as many bugs with previous versions xD

alexgt

Ok, so I have made progress and got a loading bar in :P! Now I just have to make the render'er that renders the sides and the top/bottom. Also the when I render the entire screen (320x240 or 20x15 blocks) it only takes 126 milliseconds to draw 300 BLIT_P() commands O.O. So I will hopefully get the world display working and a collision map generator by the end of today ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder how it looks like now :). Did you add the main character in the game?

alexgt

No, I have just made world rendering but I am working on my PC for skins right now.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. I was wondering since it has been a year since the game character was just a red rectangle. :trollface:

alexgt

Yeah, this time I am ironing out the little things as I go (That is why I haven't got a playable version yet) I just want to not over look anything with the essential stuff ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it's a good move. I wish you good luck :3=

alexgt

Just have some bugs to be worked out with collision map generation.

Dream of Omnimaga

Which bug are they? I never really tried collision detection on tilemaps that are tile-based but have smooth movement between tiles. Sometimes in Axe I just used a second map with a different tileset that served for pixel-testing but that was twice slower :P

How are you doing it and how do you check for each side?

alexgt

I am using a GROB that is the same size as the world (as in the number of blocks not a huge one, more like 200x150 so not that big). Then I just go through the morld matrix and use this equation to make the colors different shades: 100*BlockID so BlockID is the id of the block pulled from the matrix, so I can use this as  a durability map to (the lower the color is the faster you can break it and so on). And if a pixel is equal to 0 then that means there is air there, and also there is no collision then ;).

For detecting what the color is I use GETPIX_P().

But I have collision map generation done and we can move on. (Now to world rendering which I am kinda rethinking so smoothscrolling will be easier).

Also I need a couple BETA testers!
All you need is a PC (with the emu) or an HP Prime!

I will hopefully make the game run on the PC and calc at the same fps so you won't have to install two separate games xD.

If you want to test it out e-mail me at [email protected]