Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Android] CodeWalrus Post Notifier

Started by Snektron, April 16, 2015, 01:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

UDP is connectionless, so SMF don't care if the message arrived to its destination, the packet got lost, the server is off or whatever, and won't block until some sort of confirmation, that's why I chose it over TCP (which makes sure the packet arrived to destination in the right order and stuff). And when the server is 127.0.0.1 I don't think there's packet loss.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

This and UDP doesn't care abut which packet comes before another. There aren't any attempts to get the original flow at client side.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

That's good then. Good luck Cumred for the project and to whoever is involved in the SMF side of the notifier. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Hello! It's been a while since we announced this project and yesterday i finally decided to start coding.
I've implemented android's recyclerview so it looks nice with not too much effort. Also i added a http requester and a xml parser
so it can display posts.

As you can see, nothing is done about the raw HTML yet. Also there is not yet a menubar.
The menubar will also contain a fancy side menu for options and such. Also there is not yet a notification service.
The source is also on github: https://github.com/QuantumInfinity/CodeWalr.us-Post-Notifier
Let me know if you like it / have suggestions ;)

Also since this is a project for cw... *cough* featured project *cough cough* :P
But seriously maybe thats a good idea.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks very good so far! Will there be options to open the browser to view the thread? This would be a must I think. And yeah I considered a sub-forum for this, although it depends if you plan to update this more in the future once it's released to public. That would make MinePrime (next update that adds crafting) and the post notifier the next two sub-forum additions.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 09, 2015, 04:22:47 PM
Looks very good so far!

Thanks! :D

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 09, 2015, 04:22:47 PM
Will there be options to open the browser to view the thread?

Yeah i was already planning to add that, but i don't know if i wrote it under the features

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 09, 2015, 04:22:47 PMAnd yeah I considered a sub-forum for this, although it depends if you plan to update this more in the future once it's released to public. That would make MinePrime (next update that adds crafting) and the post notifier the next two sub-forum additions.

That depends on how many there is to update. I will at least keep it maintained and add features if necissary :)

novenary

Sounds fun. With the new mobile theme it will make using the forum on a phone pretty neat. :3

Yuki

That looks pretty nice Cumred. I'm definitely checking it out. And if you want a server/mod to run on CW you can always ask me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

Currently the mod adds one action feature, "walrifier". It returns the id of the latest message. The app will then check
if the latest ID is the same as the new ID and if not, request the full feed from the ".xml" action. Though it might be better to strip it down and make my own feed via a subaction (if im making a mod anyway). I'm also thinking of making a subaction where you supply the last checked ID and it returns a list of ID's/posts since the supplied ID (with a limit ofcourse). This way doesn't require a server, while its probably just as data-efficient (and is probably lighter for the server too). I wan't the least amount of data as possible, so it can also run on mobile data without consuming a lot of data. This way it probably wouldn't even be a Mb per day, which is a quite acceptable amount i'd say.

novenary

Hmmm nice. I'm not having too many problems with data usage but again I have a 3GB plan. Not everyone does tho.

Snektron

Yeah i was using 200MB before, now i have 1GB. But for the people who are having no/low data, i'll just add a option :)

CKH4

This looks very cool. Maybe you could add an option to fetch irc too? But then it'd be like wirc for android sort of.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

DarkestEx

@Cumred_Snektron, why don't you use a PHP page to preprocess the feed online, where you have unlimited traffic and then send only n-items to the client.
Or tell the client, how many messages happened since a specific id and then fetch only those.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Snektron

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 09, 2015, 10:26:00 PM
Yeah thats what im going to do :)
Ah okay.
I already wrote a good part of that actually before I posted that reply.
You can check it out soon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2