Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

WalrusIRC - An OmnomIRC rewrite

Started by Yuki, January 16, 2015, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest I liked the other theme better, because now nicknames are even harder to read with the shadow effect and also with such large spacing between lines of text this will be problematic as a shoutbox. D: That said, if we can customize it ourselves via the CSS then hopefully this should not be an issue.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I agree the line height is kind of large. The nav bar at the top was also kinda large so I reduced it. I switched from unordered lists to tables so it works kinda better when the line is too long. Also I tried text shadow because yellow on white was pretty hard to read. It's kind of hard finding the right colors...

Also thanks to alberthrocks and UnknownLoner (and his yellow nick) for advice while I was testing tonight.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Well for colors the best IMHO is to use colors like in OmnomIRC. They are much darker :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

unknownloner

No auto scroll in firefox (using firefox 35 on arch linux if any of that's relevant)

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Seems like a Firefox-specific issue but maybe not. I know I don't have that issue in Opera 26 nor Chrome.

I am also changing the CSS of CW install in particular so that it matches the forum theme more and so that as shoutbox it shows more text at once.

novenary

Quote from: unknownloner on January 21, 2015, 05:07:47 AM
No auto scroll in firefox (using firefox 35 on arch linux if any of that's relevant)
Same issue for me on Firefox beta 36.0 on android.

Also in chrome beta 40.0 (android too), the input field doesn't appear. Edit: seems to have fixed itself lol.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 21, 2015, 07:22:02 AM
Quote from: unknownloner on January 21, 2015, 05:07:47 AM
Same issue for me on Firefox beta 36.0 on android.

Mozilla bought IE6 engine? O.O

Although more seriously, I hope juju can make this cross-browser compatible. With Omnom it was a total nightmare back then.

Yuki

I heavily use cross-browser libraries (such as jQuery, Bootstrap and socket.io), so that's helping a lot, but there might still have a few code that is not compatible with something somewhere out there.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

One bug that I noticed is that it seems that nickname location on the page is based on the largest line of text available in the backlog:

If somebody then posts a very long line of text, then on next refresh the nicknames will be located much closer to the left edge. I am willing to bet that if for a long while, all we post are smileys or 1-word lines of text, then nicknames will almost be centered. >.<

aetios

Ugh, 3D buttons x.x fixpl0x, I'd like if the buttons looked kinda like the buttons on the forum so the chatbox fits in. Also, I still can't use it because it yells "you need to login to chat!".
I can also confirm no autoscroll in Fx. I have no idea what my version is but I did pacman -Syu yesterday so should be quite new :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

Hmm you probably have version 35 then. I have version 38 on my PC I think (nightlies ftw).

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Aetios this gradient isn't too much vista-ishz they are fine actually. Maybe a lighter gradient could be better.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Welp it's more the fact that it doesn't really fit with the general site design. :P

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Me too. It looks nice but out of place on cw. :P