Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What Browser Do You Use?

Started by xMarminq_, December 16, 2016, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Browser Do You Use?

Chrome
7 (46.7%)
Edge (Formerly Internet Explorer. Vote here if you use IE as well)
0 (0%)
Mozilla Firefox
6 (40%)
Other
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

xMarminq_

• Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Sorunome

IMO chrome is a bad browser because it spies on you in tons of way and keeps relaying data to google and thelike.....

Anyhow, I use firefox. Also, foxes are awesome :3
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Yuki

Vivaldi. Based on Chromium, but it's not Chrome.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Hayleia

Firefox. See this topic if you're bored and want to know why I chose that: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1660.msg46563#msg46563

novenary

Quote from: Sorunome on December 16, 2016, 06:24:51 PM
IMO chrome is a bad browser because it spies on you in tons of way and keeps relaying data to google and thelike.....
Well you can use chromium or even one of the numerous patchsets to make it less spyish. Otherwise it's much faster and has less weird bugs than Firefox so I've been using it as my main browser for a while. I want to switch to Qutebrowser at some point, or maybe back to Firefox when Servo lands (if it ever does...).

Dream of Omnimaga

I can't judge if Firefox is worse or better, but I've used Opera for so long that I kinda feel comfortable enough with it to not switch. I made the switch to the Chromium-based one despite not liking the lack of a classic menu bar at first. As for Firefox, back in 2005 I remember it froze every few minute for no reason so I gave up on it. I tried it again every now and then during the next decade, but discovered that while it got more stable, it startup times are still longer than the current versions of Opera.

As for Edge, I never launched it once on this computer. I don't even know what its setup screen looks like (if any)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Firefox, without any hesitations.
It's mostly open-source (not fully sadly since the DRM introduction), it's not controlled by evil giants (like Google with Google Chrome or Apple with WebKit),
it's secure (if you remove the DRMs, please sign the petition), it doesn't snoop like Edge or worse Chrome/Chronium and it has tons of extensions.
The extensions i love the most are Noscript, Cookie Controller, Canvas Blocker and Ublock Origin.
Only one of them is available on other browsers. (it's Ublock Origin, which is also available on Edge and Opera)

Due to the DRM issue, i kind of wish there was a better browser out there than Firefox that isn't based on Webkit or Blink.
There's Konqueror i guess, which isn't too bad but there are no way to add extensions to them.
Netsurf is pretty cool on an old computer but javascript support is still a work-in-progress.
Dillo is way too primitive and does not even render pages currently at the moment. (they are working on HTML5 support tho)

Pale Moon might be worth considering but the developers behind sometimes act like assholes, especially toward derivatives.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if new versions of Opera based on Chromium spies on you like Chromium does...
Quote from: gameblabla on December 17, 2016, 10:43:14 PMDillo

O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 18, 2016, 09:42:45 PM
I wonder if new versions of Opera based on Chromium spies on you like Chromium does...
Funny you're asking that.
Last time i tried, it was pinging back to opera.com even with the startup screen disabled.
Opera Turbo is also in some way a spy because theorically, it's a man-in-the-middle proxy.
Like any standard or cloud-based proxies actually.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 18, 2016, 09:42:45 PMDillo
O.O
I swear it's called like that :P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillo

Yuki

Been a while I checked on Dillo, but it's designed to work on devices as low as the 486 with almost no memory. Of course, speed comes with a price, it does not support everything and fancy websites relying on latest technology will not render correctly. Still useful when you want a web browser on a distro that fits in 12 MB.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

novenary

Blink can be stripped of pretty much all of the pingbacks actually. Qt webengine is based on it, and I'm fairly positive it's privacy-friendly.

Yuki

Does Blink work better standalone, without all the stuff that comes with Chrome? Might be useful for my less powerful computers.

Speaking of which, what would work better on those?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

novenary

Well there are some other browsers using it. Vivaldi is a gutted chromium more than a new browser built on blink, but there's qupzilla iirc which uses webengine.
Midori could work too. I think a good way to speed chromium up would be to change the multiprocess mode to something less memory hungry, see here.

p2

Firefox for work-related stuff, Chromium (not chrome) for *everything* and Vivaldi for private stuff ^^
If I had to chose one it would be firefox :)

I guess noone would dare voting for IE... :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

gameblabla

Vivaldi for private stuff, lol...
Using vivaldi is even worse than using Chronium because it's entirely proprietary.
I don't care what the devs have to say, we can't trust them.
It might not be as bad a Marathon but still, there's no way to review it. (like Opera)

Quotebut there's qupzilla iirc which uses webengine.
I completely forgot about Qupzilla, it's a pretty good browser but again, no alternatives to noscript or cookie controller.
Same for Midori, plus it's quite unstable. I don't know if they have improved that.
Another browser is Otter-QT5, which is based on Webkit.

I like the idea behind Pale Moon but the only ppa carring it is now outdated...
Which means i have to recompile it every time they make a release.