Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] This Is The Only Level +CE

Started by JWinslow23, September 11, 2016, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

What DJ said, or make sure you are compiling with the most up-to-date toolchain, as well as putting the newest version of the libraries in CEmu. Oh yeah, and make sure CEmu is up-to-date.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

JWinslow23

The toolchain is completely up to date, as is CEmu. The thing is, recording screenshots is problematic, and it always has been. Would I do something with the key bindings?

I'm soon gonna be resorting to a screen-to-gif recorder recording CEmu directly.

MateoConLechuga

I believe I told you this before; but you can change the frameskip rate of CEmu. That's what your issue is :P

p2

cant wait for new pics.
Also I'm curious how you did the menu ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

JWinslow23

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on December 12, 2016, 12:08:56 AM
I believe I told you this before; but you can change the frameskip rate of CEmu. That's what your issue is :P
Agh, I'm not sure you're understanding my issue.

I looked into it, and it seems like the arrow keys are not controlling the keypad after I select any option at all; rather, they switch between the options.
For example, if I set the scale to 100%, and then try to press left and right, the left and right buttons on the keypad don't register, but the scale changes.
Same with key bindings, refresh rates, and basically any option you can control with the arrow keys.

Changing the frameskip rate, of course, did nothing, because it is always set to something else anyways.

Quote from: p2 on December 12, 2016, 10:40:31 AM
cant wait for new pics.
Also I'm curious how you did the menu ^^

Not yet. The menu is next, be patient ;)

MateoConLechuga

You just click on the screen. Because yes, you are changing an option. Set the frameskip to 1; click the screen, and that's it.

p2

this level of tech support reminds me of the "press any button" problems you get sometime :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

p2

wow, that'S really an interesting level :D  :thumbsup:
can the elephant still stand on the button or will it fall through it once the floor below is gone?
(probably make the button disappear as soon as parts of the floor below it are gone?) ^^

Edit: Also shouldnt the timer pause during the text screens? ;)

JWinslow23

Nope, the button is pinned to that spot in the air. You never really stand on the button, you just stand on the ground beneath the button.

And no, I don't plan to stop the timer during the ending screen. It's harder anyways.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on December 12, 2016, 04:10:50 PM
You just click on the screen. Because yes, you are changing an option. Set the frameskip to 1; click the screen, and that's it.
I didn't understand his issue completely either it seems. I thought he meant that even after clicking the screen the arrow keys didn't respond, because I had this happen with old versions of CEmu.

The strangest part in my case, though, is that keypresses would be missed regardless of the screen capture software I used. Even Camstudio caused CEmu to not register all my keypresses. Now I understand that in his case, he just forgot to click the screen, which causes arrows to control the GIF capture settings instead. :P

Also JWinslow23 nice levels. I am curious about what happens if you fall through the floor at the very bottom of the screen...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Thanks! Yeah, it's my fault for not using it correctly :P .

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 13, 2016, 01:51:05 AMI am curious about what happens if you fall through the floor at the very bottom of the screen...
You die.

What, do you think I wouldn't implement some bounds-checking by this point? If I'm aiming to get this entered in the next Monthly Program Awards here, I'd better not have game-breaking glitches...just game-breaking Easter eggs. ;)

As for a menu, this time I might not opt for a simplistic one like the 84+ game. I'm actually planning to have a whole stage-like layout for the menus. It'll make sense once I get it done. I'll probably mock up a screenie soon so you know what exactly I'm talking about.

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, we never know. :P Even some Sam Heald/JoeW calc games left out some semi-important checks :trollface: (and still won POTM/POTY)

In my case, though, sometimes in games I ended up implementing funny stuff instead of error checks (such as death), or at least that's what I would do in the future instead of fixing bugs. If for example the Supersonic Ball bug where you can go outside the map had happened often, I would probably just implement death with a funny error message saying you just broke the game :P

Also a menu stage would be cool, as long as it's beatable <_< (as in, level 1 is not impossible to reach)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U