Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Eiyeron's pixel paint room

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, December 17, 2014, 08:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see. Hopefully it's not too restricting for my needs. I wonder if First Fantasy would be possible?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Beware, only 15KB of program source code. Each ASCII character takes one byte.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

NOt really pixels, but I somhow got hooked again on Pokémon. I rushed the scenario in a few dozen of hours and always overleveled by around 7-10 levels. Welp.

Technically speaking, I really liked how the models were detailled for a 3DS game. THey didn't count the polygons and that shows. Bored, I wanted first to remake their shading material which gives a pseudo half-tone lightning to their Mons and give back that vaguely pixel-art era sprite shading. That goal was totally forgotten at the end due to the impossibility to Cyces to know how much light a model will get. Welp, I could have gotten away with a normal mapping and a color ramp but I was too lazy and I wanted a light/environment based shading...

I used the dumped 3D model of Bulbasaur found on Models Resources, played a bit with the model to clean it up (the second geometry for the eye pupils doesn't work on Blender, I had to use another texture for the eye/iris combo, fortunately given in the archive), got back on how to pose with a skeleton/rig/armature, played quickly with Cycles renderer to give the Saur a quick Toon shader due to lack of such half-tone shader and boink, you got it.

Actually, I have next to no knowledge on rigging 3D models, I have quite the pain to give hm a static and nice pose, forget about having any GIF or whatever you want. Oh and Cycles finally support non interpolated textures, God bless Cycles.

CKH4

Wow that is awesome. I really think that it matches Pokemon's feel. Maybe you could shrink the image and do a 3d rotating bulbasaur? That would turn it into pixel art if that's what you wanted to turn this project into. It would be pretty original I think.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Mmmh. I already saw sets or things that would turn your scene into a pixel-art looking set, I need to get that again

Edit : Forget it, this is a mess of how-does-it-work and i-don't-speak-japanese.

Edit 2 : I just remembered about energy/light based ramp on Blender's internal render (not Cycles) which allow me to use a half tone shading. Gotta try this soon on another model. I made a lil Gif to show the differences between a classic shading and the same with the color ramp (affecting value to stay on 100/66/33/0 values, this making 4 grays.)

Dream of Omnimaga

That is cool Eiyeron, especially the Bulbasaur :D. I wonder how hard it would be to create a 3D model of Walrii using the 4 directional sprites posted in the Walrii fan art thread?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

DJ I'll try to make a 3d walrus eventually but I think I'll start in Minecraft. If anyone else tries it'd be awesome if you shared, good or bad.

Dream of Omnimaga

Starting in Minecraft is ok. It could be done in 2D first then more depth gets added on one side depending of which part you are drawing, then you could remove the outlines or replace them.

Can Minecraft stuff be converted to 3D models?

CKH4

Yep it can. I don't really have enough time to play any games right now, so it might be a while unless someone else tries.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. I hope you get more free time soon :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Streetwalrus asked me earlier to do something with Butterfree's model

Oh and I forgot to put the Feraligatr I did days ago

CKH4

Cool but parts of the butterfrees texture are low quality. I would recommend scaling it up in gimp or something to at least 4x with the smoothest sampling. Then you could define any lines that look blurry.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I used and want to use the original textures and not interpolating them, giving the same look than the games offer. Look at the other two, they have the same texture definition. But well, if I were given better textures I could use them.

Dream of Omnimaga

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Thanks sir. (-_(//)); That's only an expression of my lazy attidude against my refuse to read my lessons for the exams to come next week.