Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

microcat - The ultimative ARM based handheld game console

Started by DarkestEx, August 09, 2015, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't care about which USB port is being used, as long as it's not deprecated (or if it is then the console should come with a cable in case people can no longer find any for sale anywhere). Nowadays, both mini and micro are common, but we never know how it will be when Microcat comes out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga
I don't care about which USB port is being used, as long as it's not deprecated (or if it is then the console should come with a cable in case people can no longer find any for sale anywhere). Nowadays, both mini and micro are common, but we never know how it will be when Microcat comes out.
Well I don't think USB mini cables won't be available in a few years anymore. The bare console won't come with any accessories (no SD, no cables) but the starter kit will. It contains the console, a mini USB cable (to charge it and connect it to a PC), a mini USB OTG cable (to connect USB devices to the microcat) and a micro SD card with the OS preinstalled.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

adekto

hi guys just want to mention im doing the alpha branch on arduino, its more for proof of concept for the display buffer and all that
curently looking into realtime interpreters (been playing around with basic, but havent been able to display and run it at the same time)
any ideas for this are welcome

heres the working display buffer with a sprite and a background that sets random pixels in random colors

DarkestEx

After some more research and after talking to my uncle I think that I might go back and use serial for communication between the display and the processor, as serial communication is more stable and allows faster speeds than parallel does.
In a parallel bus, factors like trace inductance and length massively affect the maximum speed of the bus, as not all signals arrive at the same time, so the master has to wait until all signals arrive at the device. So I will switch back to serial (SPI) based communication with the OLED.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Araidia

Quote from: adekto on October 19, 2015, 09:07:57 AM
hi guys just want to mention im doing the alpha branch on arduino, its more for proof of concept for the display buffer and all that
curently looking into realtime interpreters (been playing around with basic, but havent been able to display and run it at the same time)
any ideas for this are welcome

heres the working display buffer with a sprite and a background that sets random pixels in random colors

Wouldn't this be better as a separate thread?
Probably get better feedback than here.
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

p4nix

It's the microcat OLED, but not powered by the actual hardware of the actual microcat (yet), so this is the right topic I guess.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p4nix on October 19, 2015, 02:39:11 PM
It's the microcat OLED, but not powered by the actual hardware of the actual microcat (yet), so this is the right topic I guess.
Yes its alright. I am just porting his code to the actual hardware that finally works since today :D

p4nix

All the images are made with the microcat color palette then, i guess.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p4nix on October 19, 2015, 03:19:43 PM
All the images are made with the microcat color palette then, i guess.
Yes, but now the prototype has a working display and working processor, so we will switch to it now.

We did it! The processor works finally after more than 6 weeks and the display does work now too ;D
It works stable up to its maximum frequency of 120MHz, which we reach using the PLL.

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 19, 2015, 10:10:43 AM
After some more research and after talking to my uncle I think that I might go back and use serial for communication between the display and the processor, as serial communication is more stable and allows faster speeds than parallel does.
In a parallel bus, factors like trace inductance and length massively affect the maximum speed of the bus, as not all signals arrive at the same time, so the master has to wait until all signals arrive at the device. So I will switch back to serial (SPI) based communication with the OLED.
Regarding that, after running the OLED as maximum SPI speed, SPI is barely fast enough. We will switch to parallel on the final unit if it works.

novenary

I think you shouldn't worry too much about that, you're not running at extreme clocks so it should be ok.

Also congrats on getting it to work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Congrats DarkestEx and Adekto. I'm glad that this project is getting more and more into hardware format.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 27, 2015, 05:17:57 PM
Congrats DarkestEx and Adekto. I'm glad that this project is getting more and more into hardware format.

Here is a picture of the now competed BIOSes tiny text buffer in action:

Dream of Omnimaga

Good job. Are there risks of bricking the device if it loses power during booting or shutdown? Or does the bricking protection protects Microcat against that?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 28, 2015, 04:11:21 AM
Good job. Are there risks of bricking the device if it loses power during booting or shutdown? Or does the bricking protection protects Microcat against that?
There are no moving parts or anything that could brick it. But resetting it without a proper shutdown shell only be done on a freeze crash that is not handled by the chip itself. It might corrupt the data on the SD card.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok phew, will the SD card still be formatable afterwards ir useless for any use?

Also I forgot: What is the max SD card size allowed?  And what about SDHC?