Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Audio-Video player you'd recommend on PC ?

Started by Hayleia, October 23, 2015, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

My main issue is getting used to new interfaces and for music I really prefer the old iTunes interface (which shows a list of files like in Windows explorer when they are set as lists. In newer iTunes versions you can emulate that interface by creating a dynamic playlist of all your songs). I hate iTunes for everything else, though, but its old interface is the only reason why I still use it.

As for video players, I used to like VLC, but I got tired of it a year ago because it now rebuilds its font cache everytime I start it, which takes over 2 minutes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 26, 2015, 12:13:48 AM
mpd doesn't need to be set as default, it maintains a DB of files and you play them by selecting them from your GUI of choice, not the file browser. I have mpv set as my default media player and it works just fine.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 26, 2015, 04:18:22 AM
My main issue is getting used to new interfaces and for music I really prefer the old iTunes interface (which shows a list of files like in Windows explorer when they are set as lists. In newer iTunes versions you can emulate that interface by creating a dynamic playlist of all your songs). I hate iTunes for everything else, though, but its old interface is the only reason why I still use it.
I didn't think it was worth mentionning in my first post, but I actually always open all my files from the file browser, so Street, I "can't" use mpd from a GUI, and DJ, I agree about interfaces being annoying but I don't think that the old iTunes one would work for me.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 26, 2015, 04:18:22 AM
As for video players, I used to like VLC, but I got tired of it a year ago because it now rebuilds its font cache everytime I start it, which takes over 2 minutes.
True story. That was also a reason why I gave up on VLC. You double click on a file, nothing happens. So you go back to what you're doing (like browsing) and then, from nowhere, VLC appears and make you lose focus -.-
But then, what do you use now :P

Also Street, I agree about mpv, I discovered it on my netbook like one year ago (because VLC couldn't read anything on it without lag -.-) and was pleasantly surprised to see how fast it started and how smoothly it played. That's actually the last player I used before making this thread. It only lacked the last two features (without scripts :P) but apart from that, it was awesome.

novenary

Quote from: Hayleia on October 26, 2015, 07:20:03 AM
I didn't think it was worth mentionning in my first post, but I actually always open all my files from the file browser, so Street, I "can't" use mpd from a GUI, and DJ, I agree about interfaces being annoying but I don't think that the old iTunes one would work for me.
Oh I see. Well I liked the old itunes as well with the library thingy, but I guess everyone does not. I just find things messy when I have to use a file manager to play music. Library-based players are more flexible too, for example you can easily listen to all the songs by an artist on shuffle with a couple clicks.

Hayleia

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 26, 2015, 10:45:10 AM
Oh I see. Well I liked the old itunes as well with the library thingy, but I guess everyone does not. I just find things messy when I have to use a file manager to play music. Library-based players are more flexible too, for example you can easily listen to all the songs by an artist on shuffle with a couple clicks.
I almost never want to listen to more than one music from an artist, mainly because for most artists, I don't listen to more than one of their musics :P
It's already pretty rare that I listen to two musics from the same artists, let alone 3, and I can only name one artist who made 4 musics I listen to right now, off the top of my head (Overwerk). So yeah, not enough to fill a playlist, and file browsers for me are just enough, libraries won't add anything :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I have that issue with electronic music artists. Most songs I listen to are from compilations because most of the time their other work isn't that great. They often make money just from 1 hit.

With power and heavy metal bands, on the other hand, it's a different story, same for indie VGM artists.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

I switched from GOM to MPC-HC because GOM was annoying me with its update popups. And you'll say "well, just update". Well, I wanted to but that checkbox to make Yahoo your default search engine was still there and still impossible to uncheck <.<

And what follows is for people like me or for me in 2 years when I'll wonder what I did to have everything to work.
When I tried to read a flac file with MPC-HC, it didn't work. I read online that you needed madFlac or things like that, so I installed it and tried to add them to MPC-HC but it didn't work.
Installing the 32 bit version of MPC-HC made everything work.

DarkestEx

Well I have no issues with either VLC or WMP.
I normally just use Windows Media Player on Windows or ffplay on Linux.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Hayleia

Well the topic isn't about "no issues" but about "needed features" :P
Except maybe for VLC for which the "lack of features" was more the presence of issues, but yeah, mostly that's what the topic is about.