Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Warlight

Started by c4ooo, December 05, 2015, 06:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Warlight is a highly customizable risk-like war game where you must conquer your opponents on one of thousands of different maps. Warlight can be played as an online Flash game or as an Ios app.
The most prominent changes warlight has over risk are:

• An army can only atack/move one time during a turn
  • All people move simulataniusly by submitting orders
  • Thousands of different maps. Some maps are very detailed for long diplomacy games, while others have much less detail for quit 100% stratagy games. There are ven abstract maps.
  • Hundreds of customizable options
  • Different types of games, reflective of maps.
There are two main types of games: FFA (Free for all) and diplomacy.
FFA games are short(er) and reqire you (or your teem) to conquare every one else.
Diplo[macy] games are much longer and are played on very detailed maps. Unloke FFA, they involve roleplaying as nations, creating aliances and starting wars. (This does not mean you cant have aliances in FFA games). Diplo games commonly have no winner, but rather have the players agree to a tie.

Pictures:
[spoiler]
Me, red, unleashing my armies. I had been stacking up my armies for several turns, and when i unleashed them, the other players simply did not have the power to fight back. I won this FFA game. (One must also remember that stratagy differes wildly on a per-game basis because of the modifiable settings)

Here, is a picture of my empire during a diplo game. I called it the "Great Northern Empire". (My color was red once again) I played this game on my PC but took a scrrenshot of the game from my iPad, which does not have the resolution neccesery to render all the detail on the map.

[/spoiler]
* c4ooo is not a spambot €:=

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm not necessarily into those games, but if it's fast-paced then I might give it a try. I remember games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the SNES and there was a similar Genesis game.

Maybe there should be a  calc clone of a Risk game called Walriight. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Is there an Android app too? Also your link doesn't seem to work :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

c4ooo

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on December 06, 2015, 10:08:33 AM
Is there an Android app too? Also your link doesn't seem to work :(
it should be fixed now. To answer your question, they have an ios, android, and kindle apps.

Snektron

Oh cool, i'll try it out.

Dream of Omnimaga

I found the similar Sega Genesis game btw: It's called Genghis Khan II - Clan of the Gray Wolf.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Brent and me set up a game. It's pretty fun :)

brentmaas

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on December 07, 2015, 01:22:26 PM
Brent and me set up a game. It's pretty fun :)
Hehe, I totally rekt you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if the game involves lots of strategy and micro-related stuff where 1 little mistake costs you the game, like in Starcraft?

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 07, 2015, 11:43:57 PM
I wonder if the game involves lots of strategy and micro-related stuff where 1 little mistake costs you the game, like in Starcraft?
Well, that depends on the map and on whether you can counter an attack. For example, most Free For All maps are split into bonuses, and you must capture all territories in a bonus to get the bonus armies. In a FFA with many bonuses, like Rise Of Rome, losing a bonus will not be such a big deal if you can counter the attack. (But it can turn gameplay). In maps with many bonuses, initial expansion is much more critical then actually fighting. In smaller FFA maps, like the small map shown above, losing a bonus, and not capturing it back after a few turns, can really under mine your success.
In diplomacy, the sortof  'mistakes' that really get you KO'ed is choosing who to ally with, and your diplomatic strategy in general. If you are wormaging to the south then your neighbors to the north may not trust you and attack you, unless you first allied them, of course.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. In Starcraft II, you can't really ally with others as you wish, and in multiplayer you have to destroy the enemy base completely. The kind of things that can cost you the game is if when sending units to the enemy you do one little micro mistake, such as sending some key units at the wrong second, and same if you send the wrong type of units against another they are weak against.

In Starcraft Brood War, however, you could unally an ally and ally an enemy, but it was up to them to do the same on their side and it served no purpose in the game other than trolling (since you were almost guaranted to lose).

c4ooo

You can also post game URLs, and then watch the history.
To see me win a game, goto https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=10022437 ,then click on "Menu"->"History" and use the ">>" arrows to look at the game as it went on. In the end (turn 16 yellow surrendered). I had more bomuses and was getting alot more troops then him.
@DJ Omnimaga: alliances are not physycly enforced, btw, so you have to be carefull ;)

https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=9923360
Another interesting game. Shows that you can have a very bad starting game and yet win the game ;)

https://www.warlight.net/MultiPlayer?GameID=9723700