Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Android] TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game!

Started by DarkestEx, February 12, 2015, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on February 18, 2015, 09:46:42 PM
Also maye it's a good idea to use github?
Hmm. I thought about this. Actually for such projects I prefer Dropbox, as I don't want to share our game's source code to the world. A private Dropbox share between trusted persons would be more secure.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you plan to make it open-source once finished or if developement slows down? I never do that during HP Prime dev due to risks of code theft by one person in particular, but once I have a demo out I usually keep my source available so that other people can learn. I usually release the program on multiple sites so people know I made it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

One person as in you know who it is, or just in general?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 20, 2015, 12:26:00 AM
Do you plan to make it open-source once finished or if developement slows down? I never do that during HP Prime dev due to risks of code theft by one person in particular, but once I have a demo out I usually keep my source available so that other people can learn. I usually release the program on multiple sites so people know I made it.
Well, as it will be released on Google Play, I don't really want to release the source. Maybe sometime later. But if I (for any reason) cancel the project, I'll release the source publicly on github.

Quote from: CKH4 on February 20, 2015, 12:55:14 AM
One person as in you know who it is, or just in general?
Well, everyone who works with me or contributes something to me will be included to see the source code.
E.g. AliceIsDead for the artwork (that will be made), Cumred_Snektron in case he wants to help, soelchf, as he sponsors me the Google Play fee and he had the idea of the game and DJ Omnimaga in case he wants to see it, or contributes some of his nice music. :)

Also check this out (Textures are made by me for testing, touch works -moves the cursor-, random map is generated, no actual gameplay implemented yet):
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

CKH4

Sorry for the miscommunication, I shoulda quoted DJ but that's cool to know.

DJ: One person in general or one person that you know of who is particularly bad offender?

Dream of Omnimaga

@ DarkestEx Oooh that looks nice. I like the graphics, although some might seem confusing if someone gets the game with no instructions. Do you plan to have larger maps that fills the screen or playable area for the Android version? Also is the game dependent on a specific resolution like Supersonic Ball or will graphics be scaled up/down on larger and smaller screens?

As for publishing source if you slow down progress, indeed it was so that if the project ever showed signs of tanking (like 99.9% of all projects on the Internet) then if you disappear for good somebody else will be able to take over.

@ CKH4  I won't name him publicly since I generally discourage doing this out of the blue/with no immediate motive on CodeWalrus forums, but the person used to run a French TI website that used TI-Planet news content without citing them as the source and a few years later he also modified someone else's Periodic Table software without giving credits to the original author.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Yeah, I've seen some bad offenders before but never had it happen to me before. Hopefully eventually people will stop stealing code but I'm fairly sure that people will never stop stealing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Thankfully there were only two cases of code theft in the TI/HP community in the last half a decade, so it's generally not a problem. However, it makes it understandable why someone would be reluctant about making his project open-source. Doors CS 7 is closed-source for similar reasons (although Kerm is willing to give the source to trusted people).

CKH4

I personally believe that all code should be open source because it benefits people learning but I completely understand how sometimes releasing the source could be harmful, especially if the program is the developers best work. We tend to try to protect things which we are proud of and having someone else make a crude impression butchering your work is like having your pride broken. I've found that most of the time if you ask for the source the developer will give it to you, only asking for credit if a modified version is released. It's a shame that people cause this distrust by acting untruthfully.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think if someone steals your code after your program was released by yourself publicly, then it's safer because you can then prove it's your work. The major problem arises when someone steals the source before your program gets known then some people might think you are the one who stole the code. >.<

CKH4

Yes indeed, I'm just glad that no one has stolen any code from me (although not much is worth stealing).

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah in my case, nobody did it to me either, although in two occasions people re-uploaded my games with the readme intact, not stealing any credits, but preventing me from editing it and also getting download stats at my expense. Kerm and Bryan Thomas gotta be by far the biggest victims of code theft in the past on ticalc.org (especially Bryan Thomas with Contra 83)

Anyway we should probably get back on topic. :P We can always start a debate thread about open vs closed source and such matters, though.

CKH4

Yeah, I can imagine. They're both very high profile. Contra 83 is very impressive, it looks quite nice for being written in pure basic.

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. Many people nowadyas dislike it because now people hate any game that has sub-programs no matter if it's the highest-quality game ever. That sucks because sometimes the author has no choice to do it. It's generally even discouraged for that reason on CW to downgrade someone's work solely based on the language used, amount of files, file size and platform unless justified (eg if it's possible to make it smaller). But that hasn't happened much yet I guess :P