Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Calling Python Developers! Help Needed

Started by ACagliano, July 30, 2016, 08:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACagliano

As many of you know I've been working on a project that entails the use of Python for networking. I have made significant effort to learn Python, and while I know how the language works, learning how to create an application with networking is a whole other ball game. I need a hands on approach to this and therefore am asking anyone here who knows Python at this level to PM me or comment and ill discuss what im trying to learn to do and what i need.

edit: here are some details. This is for the calcnet server to my Star Trek game, a realtime MMO, where calculators render graphics and do some stuff like firing weapons and changing position/direction. Every time a packet containing something (a client join/leave, a weapon fired, a change in direction and speed, a chat message, etc) is sent to the calcnet "server", the server responds in some fashion. It could be as simple as retransmitting the packet to another unit, adding an "object" to a database of objects in the virtual world, changing its coordinates or status, or sending information about environment to a unit. If you head to my project page, http://clrhome.org/startrek and go to "Features", you'll see some of the things I want to do.

Thanks in advance.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ CE

Dream of Omnimaga

* DJ Omnimaga thinks @Cumred_Snektron might know some python, even if he doesn't use it much nowadays
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I don't really know much about the calcnet protocol, but wasn't it only for calculators to calculators? If you want to connect a calculator to a computer with a relay to the server host then you'll need to look into the TI USB stuff and PyUSB.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

ACagliano

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on July 31, 2016, 11:31:56 AM
I don't really know much about the calcnet protocol, but wasn't it only for calculators to calculators? If you want to connect a calculator to a computer with a relay to the server host then you'll need to look into the TI USB stuff and PyUSB.
No. CALCnet itself is a calc-to-calc protocol, but globalCALCnet is a man-in-the-middle that lets CALCnet communicate with the internet. All you need is a program that can handle connections and packets with data, as if you were creating a fully online application. The gCn program handles the rest-- including libusb and stuff.

Snektron

Oh thats pretty neat. Still i have no idea about how global calcnet works. I assume it works with network sockets, and im pretty sure Python has a socket library built in (almost every serious language has). You might need to look into them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

ACagliano

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on July 31, 2016, 02:06:43 PM
Oh thats pretty neat. Still i have no idea about how global calcnet works. I assume it works with network sockets, and im pretty sure Python has a socket library built in (almost every serious language has). You might need to look into them.

There's a skeleton somewhere that can be used as a template. Once I find and share it, I'll be able to be more specific about what i actually need help learning :)

Edit: here is the skeleton. Assuming you recommend I stick to python as the language, I'd need to first be explained how this works for connecting, and where in the code should i begin to insert my own.
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=909

Dream of Omnimaga

It would be nice to see more Calcnet-related stuff in action. The only issue is if it's for monochrome calcs or the CSE then it might not be used as much, but it's still cool to see such things in action. Besides, Patrick Davidson still releases TI-85 ports of his monochrome games. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ACagliano

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 31, 2016, 10:22:05 PM
It would be nice to see more Calcnet-related stuff in action. The only issue is if it's for monochrome calcs or the CSE then it might not be used as much, but it's still cool to see such things in action. Besides, Patrick Davidson still releases TI-85 ports of his monochrome games. :P
its intended for the CE, and perhaps later to be forked to earlier models.

Dream of Omnimaga

Has the USB protocol been figured out yet on the CE, though? I think I recall in 2010 that the TI-84+ USB protocol was still not fully figured out and it's hard to tell from a BASIC programmer perspective if any progress has been made on color models, since there seemed to be no interest in making games or programs that used the USB port until now. gCn was more meant to be a proof-of-concept, but it does have quite a lot of potential, especially for games or shells.