Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Open CW creative server to the general public [minecraft]

Started by c4ooo, June 12, 2016, 11:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

As of right now, all that the CW server is doing is eating up CPU time on some forgotten computer somewhere. No one ever plays on it much. If we open to the general public we could advertise the server on MC forums, and maybe even pull some activity towards codewalrus. Buildings could be protected by some plugin, maybe even @Cumred_Snektron could write it. Unlike a normal towny plugin, were you must 'pay' to keep your town protected, this plugin would protect land based on play time; the more you play, the longer your land remains protected. The main town and other old builds around it will always remain under protection.

Snektron

Already exists mate. Forgot what its called though, but its something with a golden shovel.
Edit: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/grief-prevention/
Also, no one has played towny in years
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

For a player's point of view, I agree it's a stupid and unnecessary step. But for an admin's point of view it's an useful tool to control who gets on the server, so I'd leave it like that, and if anyone want to play they can always sign up on the forums. Plus, if you advertise the Minecraft server that would also advertise the forums.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p4nix

Well, you won't advertise the forums that way if the minecraft server has nothing to show. That means: active community, buildings not being destroyed by *ssh*les, maybe protected places for player and stuff. Since this would require a lot of work, the change of not having to be a cw member can be done right away too then, which will also give more players. And being a CW member could give extra rights.

Or we let the server sit in a corner and let it be what it is: a lonely minecraft server :(

Well, I'm glad that the admin is SWIM :S
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

For the server inactivity I blame school. As soon as holidays ended everyone stopped playing. But opening the server to public could be an idea, providing that it's setup correctly (eg not allowing new users to build/destroy in Walritia town and also apply cw rules on the MC server too in case people comes to troll).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Actually, due to popular demand, I might consider it if and when the server will be more well-secured and setup correctly. I'd even retain forum integration if we can. But for now, members-only.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think it's a serious issue if we still require forum integration in the future, but you could make the server message less generic when people don't have an account. And when they connect to the server have a MOTD style message which advertises the forum or specifically our MC server topic.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: Juju on June 14, 2016, 02:17:26 AM
Actually, due to popular demand, I might consider it if and when the server will be more well-secured and setup correctly. I'd even retain forum integration if we can. But for now, members-only.

You could always make it a special rank. I still even have a chat formatter plugin (probably outdated by now and somebody made something better or something) it could be integrated with.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 14, 2016, 01:47:36 AM
For the server inactivity I blame school. As soon as holidays ended everyone stopped playing. But opening the server to public could be an idea, providing that it's setup correctly (eg not allowing new users to build/destroy in Walritia town and also apply cw rules on the MC server too in case people comes to troll).

I think its a combination of this and it got boring (at least for me). Vanilla doesn't really have anything to offer for me :(

Jokeriske

the only problem by making a server is getting players on it, there are over a thousand minecraft servers out there, so you need to provide a good reason to make people  chose this server over the other thousands of servers.

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

What about adding Computercraft or something like that?

Jokeriske

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

As long as it's secure, not more laggy and doesn't completely change functionality to the point where the entire map is lost

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, is it hard to make mods especially if they can replace some items or mobs? What about a mod or script where :walrii: tokens or mobs are scattered across the map and you must find as many as possible every week before they reset? Then a leaderboard could be made.