Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus: Now with ads!

Started by Yuki, October 07, 2016, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbl08ma

A bit off-topic but to seal the subject: I know that Germany is quite different from most of the western world when it comes to online payment methods. I've read in multiple Hacker News and Reddit comments that most people there don't have credit cards, only debit cards (or that at least, those who have credit cards don't use them every day to pay for all stuff), that for online payment they tend to use their national solutions, and even things that seem a bit crazy like directly giving their online banking credentials to services so they can perform good old SEPA transfers. That probably makes using PayPal, which AFAIK deals mostly with credit cards, a bit hard to use. DarkestEx can probably confirm or deny what I'm saying but it's not really a PayPal or age thing, it's just the way things are done there.
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

DarkestEx

Quote from: gbl08ma on October 09, 2016, 10:10:00 AM
A bit off-topic but to seal the subject: I know that Germany is quite different from most of the western world when it comes to online payment methods. I've read in multiple Hacker News and Reddit comments that most people there don't have credit cards, only debit cards (or that at least, those who have credit cards don't use them every day to pay for all stuff), that for online payment they tend to use their national solutions, and even things that seem a bit crazy like directly giving their online banking credentials to services so they can perform good old SEPA transfers. That probably makes using PayPal, which AFAIK deals mostly with credit cards, a bit hard to use. DarkestEx can probably confirm or deny what I'm saying but it's not really a PayPal or age thing, it's just the way things are done there.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't have a credit card but a debit card instead. You can pay anything here in Germany. Nobody needs credit cards here really as we have our own ways of paying that are often a lot more secure.
And I am not going to request a credit card in the next time because I don't see much need for it. But PayPal needs a personal verification in order to use the local payment methods which I am not really wanting to do.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

aetios

Now that we're talking about this anyway, this is also the case in the Netherlands. We can pay almost everything with iDeal, which is pretty much a direct transfer. In fact, on a site like marktplaats.nl (online market place for 2nd hand stuff) trades are often paid via direct bank transfer. Few web shops use Paypal, and even fewer support credit cards. It's kind of a culture thing, really.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. In Quebec we use Interac, which is pretty much serves all Canadian banks and credit/debit card services, so we don't really have much of a national, proprietary payment method.

It kinda sucks that Paypal is not supported at all in some European countries, though, because this makes it really difficult to design online shops.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

yess as DarkestEx already said that'S 100% true. But even for the few families using credit cards for online payments, they often only have one card for the whole family, like using dad's account for everything so they dont all have to give away their data.
In Germany we still write all our direct bank transfers on paper and wait 3-4 days until the money arrives ;D
*Mr. Paranoid likes that!
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

c4ooo

Isnt the only difference between a credit and a debit that when you pay with a credit card - the bank gives you debt that you then pay of, while when you pay with a debit card you're paying your own money? That's how it seems to be in USA.

Yuki

Pretty much.

Debit: you give your money to the bank and it's accessible from your card

Credit: the bank pays your bills (within a spending limit) and you'll have to pay them back later

Otherwise, here in Quebec, you can give PayPal your bank account number and they can withdraw funds directly from that account. No need of credit cards, although it can help for speeding up the process as it takes a few days to transfer funds from a bank account. It's exactly like if you're writing cheques to PayPal, except it's all done electronically and automatically.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

So... why cant he transfer money from his debit/bank account to paypal?

p2

little offtopic (actually ontopic) question:
How much must I pay for setting up an add for 1 month and will any ad text be accepted? Even stuff like "Cookies are Great, eat more cookies"...? ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 09, 2016, 07:59:23 PM
How much must I pay for setting up an add for 1 month and will any ad text be accepted? Even stuff like "Cookies are Great, eat more cookies"...? ^^
There is no fixed pricing. You need to bid on the ad on project wunderful. Your ad can be free or it can get more expensive. Just have a look at the explanation on project wunderful's homepage.

Quote from: c4ooo on October 09, 2016, 07:53:28 PM
So... why cant he transfer money from his debit/bank account to paypal?
Well again, personal verification. I don't want to do one.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Yuki

Quote from: p2 on October 09, 2016, 07:59:23 PM
How much must I pay for setting up an add for 1 month
More than the highest bidder. Could vary wildly within that month, so you might want to check it out often. You can setup your ad to automatically outbid by $0.10 anyone up to a spending limit you set. Check it out here.

Quote from: p2 on October 09, 2016, 07:59:23 PMand will any ad text be accepted? Even stuff like "Cookies are Great, eat more cookies"...? ^^
Yes, as long as it goes within the safe for work rating.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Keep in mind that some credit cards cost money to set them up. Also if you don't pay your entire debt after 21 days there are interests and your debt slowly increases
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

It looks like if strange religious beliefs are fine with their terms... So "The book of Walrus" and stuff will be fine to advertise for ;D
I only wonder if I can tell them only to advertise on CodeWalrus or if they will advertise on multiple sites...   :ninja:
Might get strange when people not knowing CodeW get advertisements for the holy book of Walrus and the Walrus' prophecy... <_<

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 09, 2016, 10:00:21 PM
It looks like if strange religious beliefs are fine with their terms... So "The book of Walrus" and stuff will be fine to advertise for ;D
I only wonder if I can tell them only to advertise on CodeWalrus or if they will advertise on multiple sites...   :ninja:
Might get strange when people not knowing CodeW get advertisements for the holy book of Walrus and the Walrus' prophecy... <_<
I think you don't quite know how this advertising works :P
Have a look at their site. You are only bidding for one or I thin you can even bid on more country. You only bid for one spot on one site and only for as long as you need :P

Yuki

Yep, bidding is per region of an ad box (or for the whole world, but that would make 4 bids). So you can advertise only on CW, although you can make campaigns and place your ad on many sites at once, like this MMORPG yesterday, although they easily got outbid and their ad never showed up.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN