Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The Most Important Languages

Started by SiphonicSugar, November 17, 2016, 03:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Quote from: p2 on November 23, 2016, 10:33:11 AM
about spoken languages: I wonder why so few people in europe learn mandarin while it's suc an important language thinking globally...
Mandarin is indeed important when you're around China or anywhere in Asia, because, well, they're what, 1.4 billion by now? Outside Asia, I'm not sure it's widely spoken outside Chinatowns all over the world.

Contrast this to English, which is spoken everywhere the European had the idea to invade, which is pretty much everywhere. Literally. It's said it's easier to count the countries the British Empire haven't invaded. 22 countries. The British Empire invaded everything but a mere 22 countries, which accounts to about 90% of the world. So don't ask why English is spoken everywhere, because I think it's pretty much why.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p2

I speak english because I really love the word cucumber  :thumbsup:

but I really think its stupid that so few people learn mandarin.
you can learn japanese EVERYWHERE but not mandarin... :/
also, english, mandarin, russian, german and spanish are all languages you need to be able to communicate almost everywhere...
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Patrick Davidson

z80 doesn't count as a spoken language?

kotu

pmp squats and squash are not real words they are assembler noises.

C++
C
BASIC.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Snektron

Quote from: kotu on November 25, 2016, 11:36:18 AM
BASIC.
Quote from: Unicorn on November 17, 2016, 05:55:40 AM
TI-BASIC
Quote from: E. W. Dijkstra
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
:P
Also, this topic is for important languages, not your favourite languages right? I have nothing against (ti) basic, but i do not think it is a really important language though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

kotu

Quote from: Snektron on November 25, 2016, 11:41:49 AM
Quote from: kotu on November 25, 2016, 11:36:18 AM
BASIC.
Quote from: Unicorn on November 17, 2016, 05:55:40 AM
TI-BASIC
Quote from: E. W. Dijkstra
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
:P
Also, this topic is for important languages, not your favourite languages right? I have nothing against (ti) basic, but i do not think it is a really important language though.

that implies all a programmers knowledge will be ruined once he learns any BASIC, therefore the whole statement has been quashed.

edit**
and i think in fact most people Experience the reverse

anyway its on my list so
TROLL ENDING

*edit**
here is my impression of a web programmer...

PHP
JavaScript
HTML
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

p2

actually far less is done in PHP than most people think.
You pretty often jut use a CMS and pack it all in a software like IBM Notes or other alternatives. ^^
also lots of stuff is run by a java backend, not a PHP one :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

kotu

well, i only run two websites, so i don't care  :P

p2

I plan to maybe learn Swift soon. Are there any other Swift developers around? :)

AmazoNKA

Swift looks very promising in deed but I wonder if it will be limited to Apple systems only...
I like Swift but because it is based on C and objective-C I nominate first of all
C
Then JavaScript, C++

Spoken ones: English then Spanish and Chinese just because how widely they are used

Sorunome

While JS is a nice language I personally think it's been over-used, that every device, no matter how limited, kinda needs a JS runtime these days. And that other apps which are written in JS and thus perform poorly while they could have just been developed in like C++......
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

I think BASIC still has its place, not as the most important language overall but one of the most important ones in the way that it's a startup language and many people, contrary to what some so-called experts claim, used it as a brige towards superior languages. However, it depends of how long you used BASIC.

As for JS I don't think it's very important anymore, because it always had severe cross-browser compatibility issues and many people have JS disabled. Flash is even worse. As for Java I'm not sure. What do you guys think about Python and Lua? Both seems pretty popular.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

In my mind BASIC isnt used as a language you learn ut rather as a tool to learn programming in general as thats where youre supposed to make your first contact with the most basic techniques like conditions and loops.
lua gets used in software running on routers and stuff but rather less on the internet in general. So you use it, but you dont even notice it most of the time.
Java is more and more used for servlets while on the other hand applets are dead (client-sided java in websites). Only a few simulation stuff for physics class and similar sites still us them.
JS is still rather important but also hard to use as you have to ensure compatibility with multiple browsers as you mentioned above. Still it gets used a lot as it somply comes a lot handier than the alternatives.
I sadly dont really know about python... All I know is that 99% of Kali linux (the PenTest OS) is based on python scripts which would make it rather importaant for pentesting/security in general...?

Snektron

Lua is nice, very small and embeddable, perfect scripting language for in a larger project.
Python is nice too, but i feel its a bit overhyped. Good for prototyping and small to medium projects though.
Lua is actually the first language i learned :) i feel like its the modern day equivalent of BASIC, it has simple syntax to learn programming in
but does have features a modern language would need, like functions.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???