* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: Prime Linux  (Read 709 times)

Offline Hooloowalrus

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
  • Post Rating Ratio: +1/-0
  • super-intelligent shade of the color blue
Prime Linux
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:21:09 am »
Linux is coming to the Prime.
It should have been there a long time; the chip it runs on, the S3C2416, has been supported for a long time. Recently gaining access to tools for jtag, I decided I would go and connect things up, not realizing that the newer revision of Prime didn't even have jatag pins broken out on the front of the board. I bought a prime, and started working.

Tonight, I got up and running with a shell. There's nothing else here but the shell, actually, and many things don't work. But I got the LCD and serial port working, which is easily enough to test with.

Here's a picture of the shell up and running on tty0:

The sources can be found on my github:
linux
ripem build with loader
qemu for Prime
Since I don't have a good setup for the initramfs running right now, I'm going to figure out how to get buildroot up and running. As long as I'm not too busy with school, I'll figure out how to make a keyboard driver and get the rest of the theoretically working platform drivers (usb, touchscreen) working. If anyone wants to help, go ahead!

x-posting to Omni and Cemetech

• Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

Offline Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +32/-2
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
Re: Prime Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:31:29 am »
Oooh, that's awesome ^_^
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
On semi-hiatus until who knows when. CODEWALRUS 2.0 COMING SOON
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +99/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:35:27 am »
Great news @Hooloowalrus . I'm glad to see some HP Prime development again, especially here or other TI websites where user reception for such HP Prime project was good. Please, though, don't send this calc in space like your previous HP Prime, though. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline pimathbrainiac

• Full User
  • Original 5
  • Post Rating Ratio: +2/-1
  • Formerly Banned CW Co-Founder Turned News Editor
    • pimathbrainiac
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 05:26:02 am »
It was only a matter of time! I like what I see!

That feeling when there isn't a gcc port for ez80 so you can't get TI-80+ CE linux :'(
Well, I'm bach here too!

Offline Jean-Baptiste Boric

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 04:39:18 pm »
Nice!

Looking at the code, my only remark for now would be to use a device tree instead of ATAGS. I don't think it's possible to upstream new non-device tree ARM platforms for Linux anymore.

Offline Hooloowalrus

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 07:16:46 pm »
I wanted to get everything working before starting to mess with DTBs, as someone else working on a similar system, http://blog.weinigel.se/2016/05/07/linux-on-sds7102.html and said that it did not work. I think DT support is worth working on, but I'm not sure if it's my first priority.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

Offline Adriweb

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +7/-1
    • Adriweb
    • @Adriweb
    • Adriweb
    • @UC-UIrbk5SuaUCvnV6SQvt-Q
    • /u/Adriweb
    • Adriweb
    • TI-Planet.org
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:04:35 pm »
Great job !
This also deserves a cross-post on TI-Planet ;) (Yes, posting in English is perfectly fine)

Edit: and yep, upstreaming the work would be nice, it would also be the 2nd graphing calculator (AFAIK) to be there, after the Nspire (CX) :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:46:47 pm by Adriweb »
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Offline Lionel Debroux

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +11/-0
    • debrouxl
    • 58/5891
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 05:48:49 am »
Fantastic job, congratulations :)
We knew since the beginning that it would be possible, but nobody was sufficiently interested in doing that work - until now.
Good thing to be posting on this board as well.

Mainlining the port is an absolute must for long-term maintenance, and for a 32-bit ARM9 platform, this does indeed require using DT: it already was a requirement when the Nspire Linux port was mainlined years ago, as Arnd Bergmann indicated when replying to https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/4/113. The tools associated to Nspire Linux may save you some time with that task: there's a DTB loader in there.
It's alright to make a bit more progress on a non-DT kernel for now, but you'll soon be spending time on code you'll have to redo for using DT, so you shouldn't wait much ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:01:36 am by Lionel Debroux »
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Offline Hooloowalrus

• Full User
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Safe-haven access
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:15:24 am »
I updated some stuff, so now loading DT and stuff should work. It appears as if the s3c framebuffer driver doesn't have any DT code in it at all, so I'm going to figure that part out before I start writing drivers of my own, like for the keypad.

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games