Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What do you think of strange texts?

Started by lazydogP, December 03, 2016, 04:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

Quote from: JosJuice on December 04, 2016, 04:34:58 PM
Quote from: p2 on December 04, 2016, 12:11:48 PM
the trick behind it is strange text symbols that have a letter width of 0px.
Noone really knows what they're actually ment to be used for..
They're used for putting diacritics on letters, but normally you're only meant to use one or maybe two per letter, depending on the language. For instance, you can write é by first writing an e and then using a special combining ´ character. In case of é, it's very rarely done that way because there already is a pre-composed é character, but some languages use combinations of letters and diacritics that don't have any pre-composed characters in Unicode.
That's pretty much it. As a matter of fact, since I've worked with unicode stuff a lot, I'll add that you can do this with pretty much any combination of characters. Very few text rendering engines handle that kind of stuff properly because they either didn't bother reading the specs (I wrote my own utf-8 decoder, and took a look at some others for reference, they were all broken beyond repair even though the algorithm is trivial and described in detail in the unicode spec) or because of the extreme complexity involved (which is why HarfBuzz is pretty much the only text shaping library out there nowadays, and it's used by browsers).

Dream of Omnimaga

Which reminds me, aeTIos should make a post in the staff forum on how to ban someone from WIRC by using those characters in the user nick, since WIRC has a bug about that <_< (at least it would still allow the user to see the chat, just not sending text)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

so by changing user's names in the IRC you can mute them? That can definitely come in handy :D
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

So as I understand, you guys found a bug in WIRC I don't need to fix because it does some unintended, but useful side effect? Nice. Just document it somewhere and we're in business.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Haha yes indeed, having zalgo in your nick prevents you from sending messages to wirc.

lazydogP

Thank you, @p2 ! I'm busy these days and forget to change the title in time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS(used most often), Casio fx-9860GII SD, TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad, Casio fx-991CN X, Casio fx-82MS, HP 39GS(rarely used)
Need to buy more calculators.
Busy with study but trying to come here every day.