Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2016, 11:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if anyone will get this game? Star Ocean series is similar to Tales series in the way that there are random battles, but battles are real-time action like in Zelda. In SOV, however, your party can have up to 7 characters at a time O.O

http://www.staroceangame.com/us/

I personally have Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP), the Second Story (PS1), Til the End of Time (PS2), The Last Hope (Xbox 360 and PS3) and am planning to get the 5th one. I hope that they did away with the cinematics abuse, though. In The Last Hope near the end of the game there were just way too many.

It's supposed to come out this Summer for the PS3 and PS4, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version was cancelled. No Xbox One version are planned.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

not enough hentai, won't buy the game.

QuoteIt's supposed to come out this Summer for the PS3 and PS4, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version was cancelled. No Xbox One version are planned.
I don't think the PS3 version will be cancelled because that version released this year in japan.
I might buy the PS3 version though even though i don't own it, it might become a rarity.
(just like my copy of Rodea : The sky soldier with the wii version)
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah my concern is that RPGs are a niche genre and usually have a limited print run outside Japan, and since fewer and fewer people play PS3 games then I worried that if they think PS3 SOV sales will be too poor they could cancel it. But if it's already out in Japan then I guess it doesn't matter as much.

Or perhaps they'll do like Rodea and package both versions together? Btw I think Rodea is the last Wii game ever in North America. And yeah I might buy the PS3 version of SOV for the same reason (see what happened with Twilight Princess for the Gamecube and FIFA 14 for the PS2).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

So I was finally right about the PS3 version: Release outside Japan has been canceled D:. So I guess I'll have to go with the PS4 version.

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 25, 2016, 01:28:06 AM
So I was finally right about the PS3 version: Release outside Japan has been canceled D:. So I guess I'll have to go with the PS4 version.
f*** !
Well, guess i won't buy it then, they censored the panties anyway.

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder, though... could there be a way to uncensor the stuff? I know for example that Ys VI for the PS2 came with an absolutely horrible set of CG animations as replacement for the anime ones to cater to North American audience, but the original voice acting, animations and lots of other stuff were still present on the disc, so you could enter various cheat codes on one of the screen to switch to them.

But yeah, personally I don't mind getting the PS4 version instead of PS3, but I would have liked the PS3 one because of the collectible value. Besides, the PS4 version is apparently a port of the PS3 version anyway.

Also yeah I don't know if I'll buy it as soon as it comes out. I might just wait until used copies are available or if the price drops, because I just spent $75 on Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii (which is very cheap considering that game used to be $150 a few years ago). <_< In any case, I will play it, because I love Star Ocean and its music (not as much as the first two games, since SNES/PS1 music had some charm that newer games sometimes lack).

gameblabla

GUYS, I HAVE FOUND THE REASON WHY STAR OCEAN 5 GOT CENSORED !

THE TERRORISTS WERE BEHIND IT ALL

Dream of Omnimaga

Link to valid source, or it didn't happen. :P

But I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Terrorists ruin things for everyone else all the time (for example it used to be possible to cross the US border from Canada without a passport, but then 9/11 happened). And terrorists are not the only problems: Remember when PETA protested against the racoon suit in New Super Mario Bros 2?

TIfanx1999

If the Japanese PS3 version has English, you could always import it. Personally, I've never played this series. I only know it because of the music. I think you used one of the tracks from The Last Hope in one of your videos. That's how I found out about it. Great soundtrack imo. :D

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I am curious as well. I know that Ys VI PS2 had both English and Japanese cutscenes, so maybe that's the case with some PS3 RPGs too. It's also nice that the PS3 is not region-locked like other consoles.

And yeah if you like JRPGs like Tales of Symphonia, you should try Star Ocean series out. Some great music but also fun games (although hard).

Dream of Omnimaga

I had those older games for a while but I thought I would share the collection since they look nice together. I now have all SO games, although for the first game I got the remake rather than the Super Famicom game. Also I am curious if the Xbox 360 version is rare, since JRPGs weren't very common on the 360? EDIT: Apparently it's the cheapest of all, but is selling less often than the PS3 version. I guess most people are unaware that there's a 360 version, since JRPGs are normally the last thing you expect on Xbox.

On a side note SO5 has the same battle system, but unlike previous games where battle encounters triggers a transition that puts you into a totally different map, this time the action takes place directly in the map you are in, just like in Final Fantasy 12, Zelda, etc. Also apparently you can move around during cutscenes, which could be a good thing considering how often they happened and how long they were in SO4.

gameblabla

Cool that you got SO5.
So... Is it any good ? I heard people online (mainly japanese people) complaining about the short lengh of the game : 20 hours.
Seeing how i found my 30 hours in GC Fire Emblem pretty short, they must have cut down the story a lot...
But i don't have the ga(y)me so i have no idea but the fact they censored panties killed the game, the story, the gameplay, EVERYTHING.
I still believe ISIS is behind the PS3 version cancellation in the West and the censorship.

Also, great photo, you are only missing the SNES cartridge.
Surprisingly, Star Ocean for Super Famicom is not that expensive (15$ to 40$) so it's definitively up your reach.

QuoteAlso apparently you can move around during cutscenes
Move during a cutscene ???
You mean that I could like teabag Miki while she's talking ?
I must see this in action.

Dream of Omnimaga

20 hours is a little short but tolerable for me, plus this game most likely have those extra 20 hours of side quests anyway. Chrono Trigger was about the same lenght on the PS1. I can't play yet though since my bro owns the PS4 at home and I need to ask him permission before installing the game and stuff. I dont even know if he bothered making an account on PSN because I never used the console before. Either way I'm playing soon. It's just that he's rarely home when I am home+awake :P

I am surprised that SO for the SFC is that cheap. I thought it was like $300. That said I tend to not ppay Japanese language RPGs.

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, I finally had time to install the game yesterday and I have some comments to make:

-For some reasons, it seems like either I did not need to install it or it installed in less than a few minutes. On Xbox One and PS3 lots of games took close to an hour >.<. I could probably have played sooner lol

-Those who want this game just for the graphics will be disappointed. Yes, they're great, especially compared to the PS3 version, but they're definitively not pushing the PS4 to its limits. I think that's a common problem with JRPGs, though, so those who wants hardcore realistic graphics might prefer to stick to western RPGs instead. Anyway, they'll do the job I guess, plus the frame rate was very smooth compared to SO4.

-The OST has the exact same style as SO4. It's nice, although I still kinda miss the style from SO2 and SO3 (but again maybe SO2 was due to PS1 limitations)

Dream of Omnimaga

Bump, commenting on the game now:

-So @gameblabla I finally spent a few hours playing it so fat and it's nice, but some annoyances makes me like it a little less than SO4. The main issue is that while real time convos are fun, text boxes disappear too fast when you walk around, are hard to read since they move all over the place and you have to be pixel-perfectly placed in order to talk to someone that requires pressing X.

-The French translation is a nice addition over the previous English-only copies of past iterations of SO that they sold elsewhere, but the translation was a little weird so I switched my PS4 to English.

-Real time battle encounters are amazing and speed up the game considerably.

-There is no :walrii: in the game, but that's expected. :P