Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

DJ waves goodbye from Telegram. See you on forums & WalrusIRC (update).

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 12, 2015, 04:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

DJ tends to be more sensible than other people to some things and can easily take offense for things that other people wouldn't, especially when his mood is down. The last incident happened half on IRC, half on Telegram, I won't disclose what happened (I was involved though and I'm sad that it happened), but I think that if he judges it to be best for him, then it is. I don't want another december 2012 to happen.

Dream of Omnimaga

Er actually it was 2012, not 2010. Also the issue is not so much about sensitivity as it is about being unable to figure out people's intentions when they say stuff, literally misinterpreting them or even not understanding them at all. Eg when somebody explains me something and it takes them several tries before I finally understand, due to having to explain things in a different manner to me.

Regarding working out people's intention, it's made much worse online by the fact text medium doesn't transmit them as easily as voice medium.

Regarding 2010, just before that year began, it is when it became clear that I would never be able to get rid of my issues, so I pretty much gave up and simply tried to avoid potential issues afterward, except that this failure severely ruined my self-esteem at the time, which almost led to stuff I won't disclose outside the safe-haven board or private messages. By 2012 I had mostly recovered, but in late 2014, after repeated issues with specific people elsewhere I was all back to the start case. The problem is when I feel down or am in a bad mood I am actually worse than normally, so that only exacerbates the problem. Nowadays I try to not complain publicly about incidents unless a forum member is really breaking the rules, so this is why sometimes you won't see anything wrong, but it still happens privately.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

I am sorry to be late on this and I am sorry DJ for you having to leave the IRC :( but if it helps you I understand, I just really hope it does not come to you having to leave the CW forums O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

• Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE: The main reason why I left WalrusIRC is that it lacks an /ignore feature that OmnomIRC had. I don't want to permanently ignore anyone here, but during hard times it can be handy to be able to do it on a temporary basis (it won't prevent everything wrong but at least it can help sticking around). While IRC has an ignore feature, there are always high risks of unwanted PMs there and I can't ignore specific WIRC users from IRC. As for Telegram, /ignore only works for private messages and CW staff can't even ban anyone in the group (only juju can, since he created it).

To ignore people on WalrusIRC, Streetwalrus directed me to Stylish extension after he edited the CSS of the shoutbox and I used the following code:

.message.<nick> { display:none; } (for example, .message.walrified { display:none; } would hide all new posts notifications)

Anyway, basically this means that I can now return to WalrusIRC :D. I just won't use IRC directly unless in special cases such as when WalrusIRC is down or not relaying messages.

I would like if people PMed me on the forums before contacting me on Telegram and if people didn't invite me to any group on Telegram. Anyway now I guess I can :walrii: again unless things somehow gets worse (but I think if we ever get any trolling problem on IRC then the bansticks would not be far away anyway)

EDIT: I also find it rather ironic that Telegram advertises itself as a secure chat medium, yet it won't even let group creators add admins to ban people and it won't even let people remove their phone numbers from other people's account .

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 15, 2015, 09:02:11 PM
.message.<nick> { display:none; } (for example, .message.walrified { display:none; } would hide all new posts notifications)
Careful, it's case-sensitive. Well, I think. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Doesn't seem like so, but it's sure picky about http vs https, because it took us minutes to fix it >.<

Yuki

Oh, that's a nice way to do it. Might use that trick when we'll actually code the actual command, thanks @Streetwalrus!

By the way, I dunno what you're doing, but in some cases instead of http:// or https:// you just do // so it automatically picks up the right one.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Stylish compares the beginning of the url so it won't work. Also not that this causes some issues (scrolling gets triggered and alternating line colors are broken) but otherwise it works pretty well I guess. When you implement the actual feature you can just compare the nickname to a list in a cookie and skip adding the message altogether.

Dream of Omnimaga

Will it cause WIRC to stop working entirely if I enable an ignore on someone who posts?

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok good. I was worried that ignoring people or bots would prevent good functioning of WIRC >.<