Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[FiXos][C]FXSH : FiXos SHell

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, March 03, 2015, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hello everyone. I'm finally on something and that is quite good. (-_(//));

I'm on with FiXos development as we finally have something like a more-or-less working libc around there for FiXos and thus started to program something that would work a shell on a terminal.

Here's the code : FXSH

Here's the technical specs at this moment :
- it can read up to 16 elements of 128 bytes (even though the VT buffer can read up to 128/256 bytes at this moment)
- it support quoting and double quoting
- built-in support : ls and cd are somewhat done. They lack some features, like cd .. but they gladly work)
- environment var management. It even pushed the libc to support them!

And here what's planned :
- no programming is currently planned but variables should be. At least to tweak things like PATH. It should be simple to parse, heh.
- As a needed feature, I'll add case switching in the VT in the kernel (TI-like, probably). At this moment, one can only write caps and I had to cheat to add a working ls as LS.
- PATH management. As for now, one could execute a program if it could reach the file, but without caps...
- neat source file structure that could be even improved.

- better argument storage. I don't know at all how I will store the arguments but I'd like to make a version without argument size or command line limits.
- Should the shell work on other *nix I'd be very happy . It works quite correctly on Cygwin!bash.

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh thanks for the cross-post. :D Hopefully this gets this project more known in the community. :) I am glad it is still progressing. Of course I am not much into the technical stuff of it because I have no clue what that stuff does, but a custom OS would definitively be nice on this calculator series. Do you think dual-booting would be possible for people who still want to use the Casio OS for school? That said, I don't think getting a second calculator is a serious problem because you can easily get a FX-9750Gii model for $50 in North America and they are sometimes on sale. I myself plan to get one at Target if they still have any in stock because they are 25% off right now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Which cross-post? This is the original post! :p

At the moment, you can only run the kernel by hotswapping the OS with the bootloader. OS overriding is not supported at all and Kris doesn't has this in mind, so yeah, don't worry about keeping Casio's OS safe.  Make care of buying a SH3 so, we don't have any SH4 in hands and thus can't program for them at all. (I would try to port the kernel for them if I had one).

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on March 03, 2015, 12:17:50 PM
Looks awesome :D

Thanks!

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I thought this was a cross-post from Planète-Casio, since that's where FiXoS official thread is located. ???

Also are the SH4 FX-9750Gii calcs the white ones?

http://cdn.toptenreviews.com/rev/scrn/large/50058-fx-9750gii1.jpg
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, but that project is not FiXos! :p FiXos is not really my project, I wouldn't post it in my project section.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, my bad, I mixed the project up with FiXoS. And I thought you were co-author of FiXoS anyway. :P

Also are the SH4 FX-9750Gii calcs the white ones?

http://cdn.toptenreviews.com/rev/scrn/large/50058-fx-9750gii1.jpg

That's what Target has, and all Canadian stores opened their doors in 2013 and 2014, so I doubt they carried stock from several years ago, but we never know.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I don't think so, they seems to be the equivalent to my Graph35+. Do you know which OS they're bundled with? If it's 2.02 or higher, you'll end up probably with a SH4. On Sh4 there is to "USB Power Graphic 2" under the screen but that's not for every calcs.

EDIT : If you know their prices and the price of a shipping to France, I could be interrested into getting a SH4 if that's not too expensive.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't know, because they're factory-sealed and brand new, so I won't know until I opened the calculator package, and I can't get a refund if it's the wrong calc because all Target stores in Canada are closing so they no longer accept any refund. Also the USB Power Graphics 2 thing is only in France I think, because I have never seen a FX-9750Gii with it, let alone a FX-9860GII.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

So, heh, you have three outcomes:
- DOn't buy it
- Sh3 : YOu'll be able to fiddle with FXSH as soon as you got to how to tranfer files, the kernel, setitng file, bootloader and the shell
- SH4 : You'll have to wait until we get a decent architecture thing going on. Sorry.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually if I end up with a SH4 then it could be at my advantage, right? Because my current FX-9860G is a SH3, so by getting a SH4 9750Gii I would then have both processors. Unless your program is 9750Gii-only (which would be strange since we can flash those calcs to run 9860G OSes)?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hey, but you have a fx9860! DO you have a recent OS? Can you launch addins? Have you tested FiXos yet? And no, Kris has a similar calc and I compile only for SH3, not a specific model.

EDIT : work is done on my side to make the keyboard (the calculator's keys) support switching cases. I just opted for a simple toggler : F6. I'm able now to LS various places in the FS now!

EDIT 2 : Ti-like Shift(2nd)/Alpha system implemented. I need to ask the boss on how to share the keyboard state to other devices/structures. Maybe an ioctl...

Dream of Omnimaga

I would prefer not using FiXoS on my 9860G yet since it's incomplete and I spent $90 on that calc. Plus I have an history of having connectivity issues with FA-124 so I am worried about being unable to get my old OS back. I got OS 2.00 atm btw. I need to upgrade :P. The extra calc I got now was bought mostly as guinea pig and stuff. I guess I'll see, though. If the new calc seems faster then I might instead use the other for guinea pig purposes.

That is the calc in question, by the way, which I got for $37.50 before taxes

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

FiXos is globally inoffensive (pun INTENDED), as no write on flash is done. (There is nano chance to override a bad part of the RAM backup and Casio OS would take it as normal backup to load and crash the system but with all the fiddling I did nothing happened yet)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok, but how do you send the Casio OS back if you want to get rid of FiXos? And what if FA-124 stops detecting the calculator?