Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Buying a new laptop for 450 dollars

Started by Unicorn, April 21, 2015, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: TheMachine02 on June 05, 2015, 05:02:50 PM
Well pretty much every processor now have an integrated cards. (All intel does, some AMD doesn't (but mainly have one)).
But support for these type of cards is well better, as well as plug and play / driver management.

EDIT : 66 posts >:D
Oh I didn't know that. I thought they were just inside lower-end computers you buy at the store and that most high-end gaming PCs had removable cards.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Snektron

i though that at first too, a few years back.
Appearantly it works something like this:

also if you compare that with the size of a desktop pc's gpu O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TheMachine02

Yeah, desktop GPU are much bigger in size. (At least for the chip, pcb size doesn't count  :P). Your image isn't totally correct, size in general, memory control is more on CPU side, but I guess it depend on model.
But now, in newer processor, integrated graphics is indeed like half the size  of the chip :P

CKH4

Soon full size graphics cards might be that small though. Nvidia is planning on stacking memory on the cards so we may be seeing much smaller cards, especially if they don't require a fan.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

TheMachine02

Yeah, most likely. But I do think that even if they got something smaller, they'll go for adding more core/cache, so total size won't really change.
Also, on-die  memory (HBM), reduce the size of the PCB, but not really the chip in itself. AMD will release soon the first card with this though.
I think that the size of the chip will really reduce when they'll change to 16nm FinFET or such (and they will can make even bigger GPU  :P)

Snektron

Omg yess, r9 300 series looks so awesome *.*

TheMachine02

Yeah, I agree. I can't wait to see it released. Futhermore, that reduce all price on market, so that is all good  :P
I reaally wonder if they made significant improvement over consuption/heat produced. I hope so.

Snektron

Yesh, my PSU can barely handle my current setup <_<. Though it will probably take a while before a get a new one since i just got a new gpu :P

TheMachine02

Yeah  :P  Those beast are quite watt-eater.

So Unicorn, how does your laptop handle minecraft shader ?  :P

Unicorn

I haven't used shaders yet, but I haven't experienced any lag yet!
I should do that today, but I don't really like them. :/
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

u wot m8
Shaders are awesome. Though it depends on the shader pack :P

CKH4

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 09, 2015, 07:02:46 PM
u wot m8
Shaders are awesome. Though it depends on the shader pack :P
Which packs do you like? My favorites are Kuda and sildurs
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

alexgt

I play with regular textures and no shaders, I am boring :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Me to alex :P

Anyways, I was just mobbed by spiders, and it was not fun. About 30 of them. *.*

??? ??? ??? ??? ???