Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 03, 2015, 02:10:07 AM
Aah I see. Too bad it couldn't be made faster, but nice job nonetheless. I'm glad to see that some of the obscure consoles are getting some love too.
Yeah, i hope the Prime gets ASM support soon because that's the only calc can see it run it fullspeed :/

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 03, 2015, 02:10:07 AM
I wonder how feasible a SNES emu would be... I know that people can simply use SNESAdvance through gp-SP Nspire, but I heard that SNES advance was extremely unreliable.
Yeah, SNESAdvance is the only solution for now and it is indeed pretty bad. (still impressive for the gba though)
The only emulator i can see being ported to Nspire is PocketSNES.
To get it to work, i need to get rid of the menu.
After that, i will have to hope it doesn't crash on nspire....

SMSPlus, NeoPop, Genesis Plus GX, that crappy Handy emulator...
I ported all of them and they either crash or they just suck. (Handy)
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, anyone can create and install a third-party HP Prime OS that adds ASM support as he sees fit, because the calculator doesn't have much protection against third-party OSes. Lionel once made a proof of concept on TI-Planet, but the OS didn't do much besides display colors. The best, in order to respect HP's wishes to keep the platform locked away from cheaters, would be to only create a patched OS (patchable via an IPS file to avoid copyright problems) that gives you the option to either launch ASM/C programs or the official OS from a bootloader. If the exam mode is enabled, the bootloader would simply skip directly to the official OS or lock down ASM/C programs from execution and the OS license would have an anti-cheating policy that forbids anyone from releasing modified versions that allows people to use ASM/C programs when the exam mode is enabled and would require any fork to keep that license restriction intact. But yeah, basically it's possible. It's just that most HP Prime owners only care about maths and education, so very few people are interested in making game-related material for it.

For now with the HP PPL language, something such as a barebones TI-83+ BASIC simulator would be possible (to make porting games easier), or perhaps even some emulator, but it would obviously run very slow. HP PPL is best for games ported or coded from scratch and third-party languages.

And thanks for letting me know about PocketSNES. Hopefully it can be ported without too much hassle. It would most likely be quite popular (although not as much as if it was for the 84+CE)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Yo, Good news everyone !
I have ported PocketSNES to Ti Nspire and it runs pretty well on it !
I basically had to remove the spu & apu and disable the menu and i got it to work.
All the games compatible with Snes9x 1.43 will work on it as well.
I tried Megaman 7 and even the Megaman X3 with its own special chip and they work great.
Super Mario World should work faster than those games.

NOW YOU CAN FAP TO MEGAMAN ON THE GO

Already excited ?
Download it here
Github repo

Dream of Omnimaga

Shaq-Fu on the TI-Nspire *.*

But more seriously, Mario Kart will rule on that calc. Are there frame-skipping options to improve speed like in TI-Boy CSE?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 03, 2015, 07:06:20 PM
Shaq-Fu on the TI-Nspire *.*

But more seriously, Mario Kart will rule on that calc. Are there frame-skipping options to improve speed like in TI-Boy CSE?
PocketSNES has auto-frameskipping so it will skip frames when needed.
The more power you have, the less frame it will skip.

novenary

That's way cool. People have been waiting for an SNES emulator for ages. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

That is good gameblabla. Darn now I can't wait to play Hong Kong 97... er Mario Kart.

EDIT: By the way I cannot run PocketSNES on my TI-Nspire. I am using Ndless 3.1 revision r914 on OS 3.1 and when I run the emulator, the calc simply reboots.

gameblabla

QuoteEDIT: By the way I cannot run PocketSNES on my TI-Nspire. I am using Ndless 3.1 revision r914 on OS 3.1 and when I run the emulator, the calc simply reboots.
I have the same configuration.
I guess you don't have enough memory, could you try again ?
Maybe you have to much files on your calc, which is eating memory up...

Voginator got it to work so i'm pretty sure it's that.
You need the TI Nspire CX with 64 Mb of RAM, any other ti nspires won't work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean RAM or Flash? I got 67.3 MB out of 115.2 MB.

Could the hardware revision (B) have something to do with it?

Or did I do something wrong when updating to Ndless 3.1 r914? (I replaced the ndless_resources.tns then reseted the calc)

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 03, 2015, 11:03:57 PM
Do you mean RAM or Flash? I got 67.3 MB out of 115.2 MB.
I mean RAM but due to TI, the more you use flash memory, the more it will eat RAM.
I guess you should try to reinstall ndless again.
You really just can't start the emu ?
What game are you trying to play ?

EDIT: You can check RAM usage with TILP.
If you have TILP, connect your calc to your PC.
Right below "Memory:",
it should show the memory available on your calc.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. I tried a different Ndless config/resource copy and still no luck

I can't even play any game because the emulator simply won't start at all. It just shuts off the calc then reboots. I'll reformat my calc then reinstall OS 3.1 once I finished recharging it. Could it be hardware issues? Because I had troubles running some other Ndless programs in the past.

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 03, 2015, 11:11:42 PM
Ah I see. I tried a different Ndless config/resource copy and still no luck

I can't even play any game because the emulator simply won't start at all. It just shuts off the calc then reboots. I'll reformat my calc then reinstall OS 3.1 once I finished recharging it. Could it be hardware issues? Because I had troubles running some other Ndless programs in the past.
It shouldn't do that, because the file browser (which starts up) was reported to work on real hardware
by almost everyone else. ( RoQPlayer, Dgen etc...)
It sounds like NAND corruption. (or worse, a hardware issue, RAM is broken)
If you can't run some other ndless, you should backup and format your calc several times.
I don't know what it could be.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I definitively think it's a NAND corruption or hardware issue. Possibly caused by past mistakes with past Ndless installs (maybe I accidentally set the AHB too low in Nover once?)

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 03, 2015, 11:15:22 PM
Yeah I definitively think it's a NAND corruption or hardware issue. Possibly caused by past mistakes with past Ndless installs (maybe I accidentally set the AHB too low in Nover once?)
Yeah i think so, PocketSNES, depending on the game, requires much memory
so the fact it's such a memory hog could trigger the rebbot.
(running Megaman X3 on Ti Nspire for example requires around 24MB of free RAM)

Sorry to hear this, dj

Dream of Omnimaga

Well it looks like my calc is busted now.

Or rather, it still works, but now that I reformated it with option 4 in maintenance menu then reinstalled OS 3.1, I can no longer use Ndless because Ndless simply won't install.

In other words, my TI-Nspire OS 3.1 is basically a TI-Nspire running OS 4.0, but still with 3.1 functionalities.

Could you make a video of Mario Kart in action for me?

EDIT: So I decided to upgrade to OS 3.6, and I could install Ndless 3.6 on it once. Then when I ran PocketSNES, Mario Kart told me it failed to load the ROM. So I downloaded more ROMs, but then when I tried running any ROM, it would instantly exit back to the TI-OS documents menu.

In order to fix this, I have to reinstall Ndless.

Could I just be doing something wrong, like invalid file names? This is the error message I get on both Super Mario Kart (USA).sfc.tns and Mystic Quest Legend.smc.tns by the way:

Loading ROM
/.snes96_snapshots/.srm.tns
Failed.

Press Button to continue.