Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

NHL Playoffs (ice hockey) + bracket challenge!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2015, 05:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Leagues like the NHL have things in place to ensure all the teams are more or less on the same level. You can't really do that with countries. So olympic games will naturally be pretty much one-sided until the quarterfinals or the semifinals where all the 6 countries who actually have a hockey program to regularly produce players for top-class leagues will meet each other and the other countries who probably sent their only 20 players will fail spectacularly in the preliminaries they don't even bother showing you. Of course, some of these countries, with some determination, will field a few players into the NHL or the KHL, but you don't see that often. Like France, they will be able to make it to the playoffs, but there's something like 2 French players total in the NHL.

EDIT:
[spoiler=whaaaat]

This is Eric Lindros with a Nordiques jersey for the first time on Tout le monde en parle.
[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, the NHL works with a franchise model, with each team being owned by separate owners. So inevitably, there will always be a few bad apples (like this year with Colorado and Arizona and last year with Toronto and Winnipeg). But yeah overall each team are the same caliber. Revenue sharing and the salary cap also helps, although MLB doesn't have much of an hard cap (a luxury tax is in place), yet small teams still compete from time to time. The NBA and NFL, on the other hand...
Quote from: Juju on February 11, 2017, 12:44:07 AMEDIT:
[spoiler=whaaaat]

This is Eric Lindros with a Nordiques jersey for the first time on Tout le monde en parle.
[/spoiler]
Lol, Lindros is sure a great contributor to the Quebec Nordiques. Look at the massive trade he got involved in in 1992. He literally turned our team into a stanley cup contender overnight (although the Habs had Patrick Roy... ugh x.x). I don't hate him as much now that we have learned the true story about why he refused to play for Quebec (Marcel Aubut sucks). I just wish he had told the truth much longer ago, but again, if he did it too early (eg before the team was sold), then maybe he would have gotten at the wrong end of a lawsuit. >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 11, 2017, 02:31:35 AM
Marcel Aubut sucks
Reminds me, speaking of Olympics, remember his time at the head of the Canadian Olympic Commitee? Of course, that didn't really impacted athletes' performance, but he also got his fair share of controversies there.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Wasn't the controversy when he was at the head of the COC related to the sexual harrassment thing?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Apparently Lindros mom had problems with Aubut and this could have explained part of why he didn't play for Quebec. Sure, back then maybe he was not willing to learn French this fast and wanted to play for a winning team at good salary, but his mom seemed to play a big role and he later said Aubut was one of the reasons. Not that we liked Aubut either anyway, after he sold the team and allowed it to be moved despite not losing this much money

annoyingcalc

I'm 6th cousins once removed with Johnathon Toews, apparently.

Dream of Omnimaga

Really? O.O If you're related to him or family then that's awesome. I knew some people who eventually became hockey player or had friends that played in minor leagues but that's it.

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 12, 2017, 06:55:07 PM
Apparently Lindros mom had problems with Aubut and this could have explained part of why he didn't play for Quebec. Sure, back then maybe he was not willing to learn French this fast and wanted to play for a winning team at good salary, but his mom seemed to play a big role and he later said Aubut was one of the reasons. Not that we liked Aubut either anyway, after he sold the team and allowed it to be moved despite not losing this much money
That's pretty much what the legends says.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 12, 2017, 10:37:17 PM
Really? O.O If you're related to him or family then that's awesome. I knew some people who eventually became hockey player or had friends that played in minor leagues but that's it.
I think my brother has a friend who plays in the QMJHL. Wouldn't be surprised I knew someone related to Antoine Vermette back in high school, either. I went to high school in his hometown and it's a pretty small town.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Yuki

GUYS

IT HAPPENED

Claude Julien replaces Michel Therrien as Canadiens coach.

Well, I hope it works.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I knew it lol. I forgot to post earlier XD

Glad Claude Julien is back, though, even if I don't like the Habs that much. What the hell was Bob Gainey thinking in 2006 when he fired him? Yes Théodore was not that great at the time but he had personal problems and the team was not this much in trouble. Claude Julien was a good coach. Also if Koivu did not get injured during the 2006 playoffs I think the Habs would have gone very far.

We'll see now if it works out. I think Therrien system did not fit well with the players. Also notice how the team starts sucking as soon as he changes the lineup for no reason.

They still need to do something with some players, though. Deharnais is so inconsistent, Plekanec is nonexistent, etc

kotu

someone needs to teach everyone how to do magic spells!

not
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think that will work with ice hockey unless you are the 1991 Minnesota North Stars or the 1980 Olympics US Men Hockey Team. <_<

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

I was more refering to how that particular hockey team and the 1991 North Stars pretty much accomplished the impossible during their respective tournaments :P (in the case of the North Stars it's refered to as a cinderella run, although they did not win the championship)