Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

crafti and nGL - a fast (enough) 3D engine for the nspire

Started by Vogtinator, May 20, 2016, 10:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Quote from: Vogtinator on January 20, 2017, 08:04:03 AM
Good job!
Thanks  :D

Is that the reason for the lack of the overlay textures? (Does it actually have 16 Mb (=2 MB) or 16 MB? The classic Nspire has about 8 MiB free with OS 3.9)
Yes, exactly. They were corrupted when i attempted to show them on the screen. Not sure why ?
And the Dreamcast has 16 MB, 16 Megaoctets, not 16 Megapower.

With only 8 Mib left, i doubt you can run crafti on it :P

QuoteHehe :P If you are able to improve the performance in a upstreamable way, please send patches!
There is certainly a lot of room left, but as I never did any software 3d rendering before nGL I implemented it the most KISS way.

For example, by using spans instead of a z-buffer, only the scanline segments that actually end up on the screen need to be drawn:
https://mikro.naprvyraz.sk/docs/Coding/1/S_BUFFER.TXT
Hmm, this looks interesting. I wonder for which MS-DOS games used this technique ?
Sadly, this is beyond me... especially since you seem to enjoy C++'s tentacles...  ;D
I will look at uploading the framebuffer to a PVR texture instead
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Vogtinator

QuoteYes, exactly. They were corrupted when i attempted to show them on the screen. Not sure why ?
They're created during runtime. You could try to embed them into the RO-section by replacing the newTexture calls with hardcoded ones.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gameblabla on January 20, 2017, 08:49:28 AM
Is that the reason for the lack of the overlay textures? (Does it actually have 16 Mb (=2 MB) or 16 MB? The classic Nspire has about 8 MiB free with OS 3.9)
I thouggt that OS 3.9 only left you with 2-3 MB?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U