Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

nspire-z80: open source ti-84 emulator for the nspire cx

Started by pbfy0, March 06, 2016, 04:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbfy0

I've been working on a ti-84 emulator for the nspire for a while now, and I think it's in a workable state now. It can boot up TI-OS, but it still has some bugs (the OS freezes if it's left idle for a while). It can save the state of the emulated calculator between launches.

Download
Source code

To use, launch it once to register the file association, then launch a rom file with the extension "8rom". The state of the emulator will be saved between launches in an "8sav" file. Launch the 8sav file to restore the state.

I know there was another nspire cx ti-84 emulator, but it often left the nspire unusable, and its author disappeared without leaving any source code, so it's not very useful.

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya pbfy0 and welcome to the forums. :) A while ago, Calc84maniac tried making such an emulator but then he lost the entire source code. Jacobly then tried as well, but also lost the entire source. I'm glad that someone else has taken over such project, because on the Clickpad models we had 84+ emulation and I was sad to see it removed from color models.

And yeah, don't forget to backup your progress often. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

I'm not sure if jacobly lost the source code, but I think his project was rewritten from scratch a couple times. Welcome to the forums @pbfy0! I'd love to see how your emulator works out :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

Hayleia

"TI-84" :(
:P

Anyway, nice to see this indeed. I know some people who want to try out z80 programs on their Nspires and couldn't use other emus due to crashes. Not sure yours works better but even if it doesn't right now, it can be improved due to being open-source :D

Dudeman313

Hmm...Seeing this now makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Nspire CX on sale for the same price as the CE I bought...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. This emulator doesn't emulate the TI-84 Plus CE as far as I know. That reminds me, does it support linking, so far? Because that was one feature that the other Nspire Z80 emulators lacked.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 06, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
It depends. This emulator doesn't emulate the TI-84 Plus CE as far as I know. That reminds me, does it support linking, so far? Because that was one feature that the other Nspire Z80 emulators lacked.
I meant the fact that I still would have been introduced to a cool new calculator with more capabilities than my 84+, but I still would have been able to have a monochrome calculator so I could still learn and program Axe away from my laptop.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true, but there are many factors to take into account. Some people dislike the TI-Nspire CX because they're locked down every OS or so and they don't like the interface, or there's the fact that most Nspire games are mainly ports of existing games and emulators, while on the TI-84 Plus CE, most games are new content or fan games. Also, do you want a z80/ez80 calc that is still very popular or are you fine with a model on which games barely get any downloads anymore?

That said, I am curious about how fast a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition would be on the TI-Nspire CX. Would the calculator be fast enough to emulate the TI-84 Plus CE?

pbfy0

Emulating a CSE should be possible - in fact, I started working on CSE support, but it doesn't work yet. I don't know about the CE - it's a very different design. It has a different cpu, and there's no ready-made ez80 core to use with your own IO code. In addition, the IO is very different from the CSE and earlier calculators. I think speed-wise it's not impossible, but it would be a much bigger undertaking than the CSE.

Ivoah

Also, CEmu runs on the Nspire, so there would be little point.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, right, I forgot that there was a TI-Nspire version of CEmu :P

Dudeman313

Well then, I definitely should have gotten the Nspire! Oh well....  :-\
The answer is "Sure."

semiprocoder

Now wabbitemu must come out for the CE so that I could get a CE rom to emulate.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dudeman313

Quote from: semiprocoder on March 07, 2016, 01:12:25 AM
CEmu makes CE roms....
But WabbitEmu with CE emulating would be cool, especially if BootFree worked too.
Wow! It seems like Valhalla is totally slowing down my CPU! I'll have to be off the forums for a bit to test it...
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: semiprocoder on March 07, 2016, 01:12:25 AM
As Dudeman313 said, there is already an emulator for the TI-84 Plus CE called CEmu, by MateoConLechuga. Check the topic about it at https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=965.0 . It even lets you make your own ROM from a calculator.