Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[calcs] TilEm2 sound enabling: Either crashes or has no sound (Windows 7)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 18, 2015, 03:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So I have Windows 7 64 bits and just downloaded the latest beta of TilEm that had sound on Windows, but I am unable to get sound to work.

When I go to Link cable then connect to speaker, I have the option of choosing between default, dsound and waveout. Neither of the last two options work and waveout actually produces weird static sounds or clicks instead. Sometimes, it will even crash, with Windows saying tha tthe program encountered a problem and must close and TilEm saying that it is unable to play sound.

Massive lag also occurs in emulation when sound is enabled.

Am I missing drivers or something?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

hello,

I launched the tilem binary on a windows 7 system, and so far everything is working fine for me, the sound is OK. I only used the automatic driver and the default settings. I also tried wabbitemu, and while tilem is more accurate (especially for lower sounds), I find wabbitemu good enough but I have only tried on my tune.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

Could it be something related to my sound card being outdated or using a 64-bit system?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

I don't know. I also have a 64-bit system. It's quite powerful though, core i5 with 8 Gb ram. My soundcard is an external one: presonus audiobox usb.
Is wabbitemu working for you?

I've tested further the differences, in comparison to the real TI. On my tune, which is 1'45", the tilem version is 1 second shorter, while wabbitemu is 3-4 seconds shorter. I think it does affect the tuning as well. When played together (real + tilem or real + wabbitemu) there is a quite strong phasing effect.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I have no issues with WabbitEmu. It's only TilEm that has no sound.

I can't use Virtual PC to check if it works in VTI, because the fact that most sites became HTTPS have rendered Virtual PC nearly unusable (even Firefox can't be downloaded anymore) and it's impossible to copy/paste stuff from Windows 7 to Virtual PC (CTRL+V/C doesn't work). EDIT: Actually Opera works but now I remembered that VTI lacks archive support.

garvalf

for virtualisation, I'm using Virtualbox, it's free software and works OK I think.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah now it's a moot point though because HoustonTracker 83+ is 100% unuseable in VTI (archiving doesn't work, so no DCS7). There might be an alternative, though, because I think WabbitEmu can actually create ROMs with apps in them, so perhaps I could instead use VTI 3.0 Alpha (which won't let you send files, but will actually support Flash)

It doesn't solve my TilEm sound issues, though.

garvalf

I thought you could try to launch tilem2 from virtualbox or virtualpc... (they have their own sound driver)

Dream of Omnimaga

I could always try that, but I'm not too confident that this will make much of a difference. Maybe @utz or @Lionel Debroux might know some tricks?

garvalf

It's difficult to know what could be the problem because there are so many possible issues. For instance on the same windows system I never managed to make the Arkos tracker works: http://www.julien-nevo.com/arkos/ (the same with arkos in virtualbox). Probably because of the .net thing in arkos. For tilem it's using gtk. When trying to launch tilem from my linux system, it required several external .dll and I couldn't use it.

I guess you can just stick to wabbitemu which will be similar for "monitoring" your Houston tracker 2 tunes before recording them from your real TI.

utz

I can't help with this unfortunately, as I don't have access to anything newer than WinXP on a 32bit machine. I'm actually only using tilem2 on Linux.
But well, if wabbitemu does the job for you guys, then you might as well do that. It never did for me, audio was always skippy and/or garbled.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: garvalf on October 19, 2015, 06:29:54 AM
It's difficult to know what could be the problem because there are so many possible issues. For instance on the same windows system I never managed to make the Arkos tracker works: http://www.julien-nevo.com/arkos/ (the same with arkos in virtualbox). Probably because of the .net thing in arkos. For tilem it's using gtk. When trying to launch tilem from my linux system, it required several external .dll and I couldn't use it.

I guess you can just stick to wabbitemu which will be similar for "monitoring" your Houston tracker 2 tunes before recording them from your real TI.
Do you mean you had no sound at all? With my previous computer, most trackers I tried, along with Reaper, had no sound coming out.

Quote from: utz on October 19, 2015, 08:35:18 AM
I can't help with this unfortunately, as I don't have access to anything newer than WinXP on a 32bit machine. I'm actually only using tilem2 on Linux.
But well, if wabbitemu does the job for you guys, then you might as well do that. It never did for me, audio was always skippy and/or garbled.
I do have some skipping issues, but that's pretty much it. I usually fix them in Audacity since they are rare. But yeah if the sound is similar in Wabbit then I guess I'll save myself the hassle of getting sound to work in TilEm.

garvalf

> Do you mean you had no sound at all?

no, for arkos tracker it completely crashes at startup. Other trackers are working fine (but I don't use much this windows partition).

> I do have some skipping issues, but that's pretty much it.

I guess the tilem2 emulator might be less ressource intensive than wabbitemu. So far I didn't notice skipping in wabbitemu but the computer I'm using is quite powerful so it doesn't show.

Dream of Omnimaga

I see. I should try TilEm in XP mode to see if I get any sound. But i am pretty fine with Wabbit if TilEm doesn't work for me.