Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI's new peripheral for the CE and Nspire CX

Started by Adriweb, February 26, 2016, 01:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriweb

As of today (the 25th), the "public" T^3 international conference hasn't started yet (that's on the 26th), but some sessions have already taken place for the T3 instructors. So, I'm not allowed to attend then, but I've been exceptionally invited by TI to one, which was about things that we have been noticing the past few days... And I can even talk about it - Thanks TI! :D

TI will soon (≈ fall) launch the "TI-Innovator", external device compatible with the TI-84 Plus CE / TI-83 Premium CE et TI-Nspire CX (CAS), and defined as "A project-based system that enables students to learn basic coding and design, use those skills to program and build working solutions, and connect science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) concepts."

TI-Innovator™ Hub with TI LaunchPad™ technology
  • Plug-and-play ready with TI-84 Plus CE and TI-Nspire™ CX technology
  • Built-in single and multi-color LEDs, speaker and brightness sensor
  • Multiple ports and breadboard connector available for use with activities
  • Durable classroom-ready protective enclosure
  • TI LaunchPad™ technology built in
TI will also provide "expansion packs": "Fundamentals", "Resistors, capacitors, LEDS and other components for design activities that explore electronics principles.", and "Science", "Sensors, motors and other components for projects that connect science concepts, programming and coding skills."

Activities tailored several use cases are also going to be available:

Note: Regarding USB things, OS updates for the CE and CX are scheduled for around "Fall 2016", which will refine/improve what's already there in version 5.1.5 et 4.2 of respectively the CE and CX.
I was also able to see a little something about the future CE 5.2 OS that a lot of us will appreciate, but I'm not allowed to talk about it... so you'll find out by yourself when it's released ;D

Official website: https://education.ti.com/go/innovator

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

aetios

That looks kind of interesting... I'll be watching how this turns out :)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Holy hell, there are so many news lately. As a result I didn't notice this one and now it appears second on the front page due to the other topic being more recent >.<. But anyway, I wonder what this device will mean for the programming community? Will it allow new hobbyist possibilities? And how much will it cost?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Looks pretty good. Will it also feature a 8192 bit rsa key? :P
But yeah its basically a raspberry pi that connects to a calculator?
How expensive will it be?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

GalacticPirate

Cool  ;D But Adriweb, I think you mistranslated the TI-Ïnnovator release date, because on TIPlanet you said printemps (=spring) and on CW fall (=autumn=automne) :P
Also, the troll smiley does exist on CW :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

utz

Excuse my ignorance, but aside from the builtin calc connectivity, what exactly are the benefits of this over just using an Arduino with some shields?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

aetios

I'd guess it's better for your warranty, if that's anything you care about. Plus official support from TI means HW projects can become more widespread.

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm unsure if using an Arduino with some shields can void the Nspire warranty, though? I'm definitively curious about the benefits of this over the Arduino, though. Maybe TI will try to sell the idea to schools so that students learn from it, but have schools disallow alternatives such as the Arduino? I don't know.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Well, if you mess something up and fry the USB port of your nspire using an arduino I guess TI might be a bit less lenient than when the same thing happens when using this TI thing.