Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Unofficial CW Teamspeak

Started by Max Leiter, November 05, 2015, 04:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Leiter

Have a server laying around, decided to throw Teamspeak on it. The IP is Avatar.playat.ch if anyone wants to hop on (but please use push to talk/voice detection, continuous transmission gets annoying)

Dream of Omnimaga

Shouldn't this topic be named Unnoficial CW Teamspeak server? ???
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Max Leiter

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 05, 2015, 06:12:11 AM
Shouldn't this topic be named Unnoficial CW Teamspeak server? ???
I was tired when I made it...

Dream of Omnimaga

That happens. I just fell asleep at 6:30 PM >.<

On a side note, does Teamspeak supports detecting when noise is coming out of your mic? Because I tend to hate having to press enter or a button to talk since I always forget, but some softwares have noise reduction support that makes you only send audio when enough sound comes out of your mic. With skype you could even set the db at which it starts sending.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 05, 2015, 06:19:00 AM
On a side note, does Teamspeak supports detecting when noise is coming out of your mic? Because I tend to hate having to press enter or a button to talk since I always forget, but some softwares have noise reduction support that makes you only send audio when enough sound comes out of your mic. With skype you could even set the db at which it starts sending.

Yes, teamspeak has a "Voice Activation Detection" feature which does that. You just to go options->capture and you'll see it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

I see. If I ever use Teamspeak again (I used it a lot when playing Starcraft and Halo PC because Skype kept disconnecting me from calls during games) that might be what I use.

novenary

Mumble also has that feature. I mostly use Google Hangouts instead of Skype nowadays because it works much better, especially on Linux where the Skype client is stuck several major versions behind and is confirmed to upload your private data "somewhere" (logging shows that the process accesses files it shouldn't like your Firefox profile, and there is constant encrypted outgoing traffic).

aetios

What I especially like about Hangouts is that it just works. Street and I tried a lot of things including but not limited to Tox, mumble, and skype (wait, those are the only 3 alternatives we really used) but Hangouts somehow still tops it in terms of 'just work' - because it does. I never really tried Teamspeak, though.
ceci n'est pas une signature

CVSoft

Hangouts is also the worst with system resource usage, as it runs in browser. TS and Mumble don't cause my gaming performance to drop. TS has a bit more features but uses a bit more resources.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

aetios

Quote from: CVSoft on November 06, 2015, 10:06:12 AM
Hangouts is also the worst with system resource usage, as it runs in browser. TS and Mumble don't cause my gaming performance to drop. TS has a bit more features but uses a bit more resources.
That's true, but I've used it a lot during gaming sessions and never really noticed any problems. If anything I had to turn off my webcam.
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

We also tried another web-based voip thingy which I forgot the name of, it was suggested by @bb010g on IRC a while ago but I couldn't get it to work on my end.
Hangouts uses native library support from the browser, even if it uses system resources it's not really a problem on modern machines. Turning the webcam off helps more with bandwidth than system resources.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean Ventrilo? I used that once for Starcraft II and it was a nightmare to get to work. >.<

And yeah Hangouts would probably be a better option overall, because it's more mainstream and popular. Just see how successful HCWP was in the past. That reminds me, perhaps we could just restart hanging out on HCWP before it actually starts, like before this site opened (usually from 3 PM to 7 PM GMT-5). But of course it depends if the Cemetech folks gets there early, in which case we might be better off setting up our own Hangout thing.

I agree that game performance might be an issue, though, especially if a lot of cams are active.

novenary

It depends on the machine really, games usually don't use more than 2 CPU cores so VoIP software will happily run on another core without causing any trouble if you have a quad core or a dual core with hyperthreading. I have a quad core with HT so I don't really see the difference. :P

bb010g

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 06, 2015, 10:08:35 AM
We also tried another web-based voip thingy which I forgot the name of, it was suggested by @bb010g on IRC a while ago but I couldn't get it to work on my end.
Discord. It's pretty awesome.
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

Was that last one named in reference to My Little Poney? :P Anyway @Streetwalrus regarding performance, I got a quad-core with HT as well and during Starcraft Brood War games, Skype disconnected from time to time. It was much worse with Starcraft II, though. It probably depends of the software. Also Tinychat was handy since it worked in most browsers, but being Flash and low quality was annoying. What was cool about Tinychat though is that the URL never changed, unlike Hangouts.