Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your game purchases and collection!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 24, 2014, 07:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

No thanks. It's most likely gonna be just emulators if things work out well, otherwise it will most likely be used as replacement to my PS Vita for games that support it, since I prefer playing on a big screen. Or both, but I would rather not connect the thing to the Internet if possible, so I won't update to a non-hackable firmware by mistake.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Dream of Omnimaga

I finally got this in the mail:

I pre-ordered it in 2013. This is the 2nd print run (the original edition came out in 2010).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

They didn't start making cartridges and packages until they reached an high enough amount of pre-order, so that the cost per item is cheaper to produce in bulk. Also near the end they ran into issues with their original team for quality control so they switched to another team which added up to delays. Many people canceled their pre-orders as a result and said they would never buy from WM again. Due to the long wait this is why we got some extras in our package (such as that toad keychain thing and two postcards. The good news though is that they probably still have a few copies left as a result, so whoever wanted to buy a copy can probably do so without having to wait years for another print run (if they ever do any more).

Also this 3rd print run supposedly have troubles running on an model 1 Sega Genesis/Mega Drive that has the "LICENSED BY SEGA" splash screen at the beginning, causing the game to not start on 1st power-on. Pressing reset fixes the problem. I am not affected since I got the 2nd model of the Sega Genesis.

novenary

Oh I see lol. I understand why people got mad tho but showing patience always pays. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. That said, with the many companies being shady and sometimes even scammish, and the fact this is an obscure company not many people know about, people tend to jump to conclusions fast, so it's possible that with the long wait people might have thought they are just in to grab our money and escape with it without giving us anything. I personally felt that this wasn't the case, because they sent the original shipments of Pier Solar in 2010-11 and the work seemed very professional. I think the issue is that it's a very small company and since producing something in small quantity is much more expensive for each item than it is to produce it in large quantities, they had to wait a very long while to get enough pre-orders and also find a reliable factory to produce them. We were actually lucky to get the game for $57 with the shipping.

By the way, since nobody else checked my other thread about the game, WM are also working on other games and have recently published a Sega Genesis horror visual novel. They plan to release a beat-em-up in the future too.

novenary

It's nice to see commercial games are still being made for retro consoles.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yes. Especially the SNES and Sega Genesis. I believe some NES games are still being made too and the Atari is the most popular console for new game cartridges. For the SNES I remember they released Nightmare Busters a few years ago but I don't know if they still make copies anymore. IN this case, though, the game was started in 1995 then discontinued for some reasons, and a few years ago a neew company partnered with the original one then released the game on cartridge.

The downside is that due to inflation and the smaller amount of cartridges being produced, new SNES/Genesis games are usually as expensive as they were back in the days, so the high price despite being for a very old console might be a big turnoff for some people.

novenary

I see. That doesn't make the games/consoles less awesome tho. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. It's just that today so many kids go batc insane when they see realistic graphics and throw up when they see pixel art, so fewer people will buy 2D games that look old school. IMHO it doesn't matter if the game is fun and enjoyable.

novenary

They don't understand the real fun. I love 3d games (though I don't really like what the n64 could do, 3d with few polygons looks like c) but 2d games are something else entirely.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hey, low poly games are fun too! starfFox 64 was a good example of what to do with technical limitations.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't mind small amounts of polygons, but the N64 graphics were blurry so unlike pixel art they didn't always age well. Starfox, Mario 64 and such games still look kinda cool, tho.

Also I finally played Pier Solar and it's really cool sometimes. It does have the usual quirks seen in indie or freeware games but it still manages to play like typical JRPGs of the 90's.