Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PC] Wal-Rush! (Scratch/Flash)

Started by JWinslow23, December 14, 2015, 12:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, a calculator version would definitively be nice. As for a CE version, the author could probably even use the original graphics, but xLIBC would be out of the question for speed reasons.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ben_g

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 20, 2016, 11:09:13 PM
I ran it on Windows 10 Pro, and Windows Defender jumped out at me, saying "programs like these could damage your computer" and all that what-not.
I had to check the box that said "I understand the risks" so I could play.
Most antivirus software (including Windows Defender) warn the user when trying to execute a file that isn't confirmed to be safe. This means that it will pretty much always show a warning with a newly released program that hasn't been used by a lot of people. So basically, your antivirus can't help you with that file and you'll have to rely on common sense. In this case, I thrust JWinslow23 and assume that he didn't embed viruses in his software to set our browser's home page to the rich roll youtube video and show popups that make us lose the game at regular intervals. So I clicked 'I understand the risk and want to run this file' and it worked great.

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

JWinslow23

The only real risk is the "advertisement" (if you can call it that) for the SWF to EXE converter I used for the EXE file. But that should not be a worry, unless you actually try to click the option to get it :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: ben_g on January 21, 2016, 01:51:59 PM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 20, 2016, 11:09:13 PM
I ran it on Windows 10 Pro, and Windows Defender jumped out at me, saying "programs like these could damage your computer" and all that what-not.
I had to check the box that said "I understand the risks" so I could play.
Most antivirus software (including Windows Defender) warn the user when trying to execute a file that isn't confirmed to be safe. This means that it will pretty much always show a warning with a newly released program that hasn't been used by a lot of people. So basically, your antivirus can't help you with that file and you'll have to rely on common sense. In this case, I thrust JWinslow23 and assume that he didn't embed viruses in his software to set our browser's home page to the rich roll youtube video and show popups that make us lose the game at regular intervals. So I clicked 'I understand the risk and want to run this file' and it worked great.
Oh I know that JWinslow would never do that. But there are software companies or code/project hosting services, such as SourceForge, that did bundle malware/junkware inside people's project binary releases in the past, without the author's consent. In Vaysoft's case, it seems that the only thing it does is hijacking the computer's clipboard during runtime and showing an ad on launch, though, which could simply be crappy coding from Vaysoft's part. Sometimes we don't have any free alternative (eg when I released PC games I had to use Clickteam install maker, which shows an ad after install, and Game Maker games will show a pop up on game launch)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

"... software to set our browser's home page to the rich roll youtube video and show popups that make us lose the game at regular intervals...."
Great idea! When can we get a team of virus coders on this?
* c4ooo runs

DarkestEx

Quote from: c4ooo on January 22, 2016, 03:58:01 PM
"... software to set our browser's home page to the rich roll youtube video and show popups that make us lose the game at regular intervals...."
Great idea! When can we get a team of virus coders on this?
* c4ooo runs
You wouldn't believe how frustrating it is for entry level computer users (noobs) if you add a batch file with
@echo off
shutdown -s -t 00

to the autostart folder.

Did this to my brother a few years back and he was really mad :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, I wouldn't have wanted this to happen to me a few years ago. >.< Some people would probably just format their computer. There are people who thinks that when they get a virus, they need to replace their computer completely.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2016, 07:53:27 AMThere are people who thinks that when they get a virus, they need to replace their computer completely.
My Mom <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah same, especially that back in the early 90's, viruses that were transmitted via floppy disks could actually damage your computer hardware. Now they mainly do annoying stuff or render your OS useless, requiring a reformat. But older people were not raised with technology so they aren't as familiar with it. Oh and when they get viruses they can panic really hard.

alexgt

Yeah, that reminds me, my friends grandma had a PC that we played minecraft on, and I made a little mod so there were folders scattered over the desktop. And apparently (this was after I left) she thought it was a virus and freaked out xD

SiphonicSugar

Lol, that reminded me. The guidance counselor for my grade at my school tried to show us a study tip website, but they reformatted it since the last time she was on it so she thought the website was glitching and that they need to fix the glitches...

The worst part, her browser of choice was Internet Explorer.  :banghead:
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P