Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-84+ce] Crystann or the Diamond Dungeon - platformer for the TI-84 Plus CE

Started by critor, November 19, 2015, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

critor

Today comes a new platformer for the TI-84 Plus CE, "Crystann or the Diamond Dungeon".
Once again, it's an adaptation of a 1985 game, this time by Loriciels, and it has been built using the TI-Planet online C compiler.

With walls which can disappear, ladders, suspended ropes anf fiends, it may look like a Lode Runner.
But it is much more than that with treasures, traps, secrets and magic items... a dungeon-scale adventure !

So you're called Crystann and have decided to become the greatest mage of the kingdom. Thus, you must enter the Diamond Dungeon to steal the valuable Jade Statue which contains the Ultimate Incantation.

The dungeon is so big that you may have to make a plan of the rooms you visit. The Great Portal where you start is particularly important, and you'll have to come back to it many times...
The dungeon is inhabited by two venomous monsters, the awful Red Medusoids. They can teleport in all the rooms where they wove their network of Spiroids, to pursue you and try to kill you. If they touch you, you lose some of your life force... And without it, you'll eventually perish.
Fortunately, you'll be safe on suspended ropes, as the Medusoids won't be able to cling to them despite their powerful tentacles. ;)

In the dungeon you will find number of traps, but also secrets and magical items :
  • Try to pick up many giant springs. Each of them will allow you to jump twice. You can thus reach the highest ledges and sometimes avoid the Medusoids. ;)
    To initiate a jump with a spring, press . You can then direct your jump with the arrows for a short time.
  • You won't hurt yourself just by falling back, but never touch the torches or bloody peaks as you would not survive them.
  • Incidentally, beware of disguised traps. They have the appearance of normal rocks, but disappear as soon as you step on them... and ciao bye bye!
  • You will discover five Energy Fountains. By touching a fountain you instantly regain all your vital force needed to confront the Medusoids.
  • The Enchanted Vial contains an inexhaustible elixir. A single drop is enough to remove a block of stone where the rock is as clear and tender. But beware as the stone blocks reappear quickly: try not to let yourself be locked !
    By cons, you can lock these foul Medusoids! ;)
    To use it, press or to clear the ground to the left or right.
  • Some rooms of the dungeon are crossed by an underground river whose water is bubbling. Do not dive all-in-on ! Only the Blue Buoy you'll have to find will let you swim in it. Then you will discover new passages and will be safe as the Medusoids will perish if they fall into the water. :D
  • Find the Magic Bulb. It will light the room where there is no torch. Attention traps await you !
  • You will have to also find Silver Key. It will let you open gates to shortcuts and especially to the cave where is the Jade Statue.
To help you in your quest, a great sage once engraved valuable insights into the dungeon portal :
  • One hundred-five diamonds, you will gather.
  • Old parchment, you will find.
  • Secret Passage, it will open.
  • Jade statuette, you will bring back.
  • The great portal, you will touch.
Last hint, here is a small playthrough of how to pass the left tower of the dungeon, up to the point of the game where you'll have to choose your way forward :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIpaaQuS08g

Download : https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=353827
Online demo : https://tiplanet.org/hosted/crystann/
Source : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192414#p192414

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome work Critor. This is a nice addition to the Nspire library and I flagged this as article :)

The only thing is that since this game is by Loriciel, I am glad that they did not add parallax background scrolling like they did in Jim Power for the SNES They made the parallax backgrounds not only scroll in the wrong direction, but also faster than the foreground *.* . They made some great games like above, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

Thank you very much.

I didn't know about the "Jim Power" game.
Yes, the backgrounds seem to be buggy on the SNES, but not on the Genesis.

Strangely, it reminds me of "try and die" games from the "Ghosts and Goblins" serie by Capcom, especially "Super Ghouls and Ghosts" on the SNES.

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 20, 2015, 04:42:10 AM
Awesome work Critor. This is a nice addition to the Nspire library and I flagged this as article :)

Nspire? It says this is for the CE
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wait, my bad. I always mix up Nspire and CE names since the CE came out, because both calc support C in some ways, have similar faceplates and the same screen dimensions. I really meant to say CE :P
Quote from: critor on November 20, 2015, 06:24:35 PM
Thank you very much.

I didn't know about the "Jim Power" game.
Yes, the backgrounds seem to be buggy on the SNES, but not on the Genesis.

Strangely, it reminds me of "try and die" games from the "Ghosts and Goblins" serie by Capcom, especially "Super Ghouls and Ghosts" on the SNES.
I think the reason why the backgrounds scrolls in the wrong direction was to give the illusion that the game is in 3D, because it came with 3D glasses. The DOS version also has the same issue and I believe another version did as well,  but scrolled slower. The game is incredibly hard (mainly because the first stage is 7 minutes long with no checkpoint).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

@critor , is there any part of the game where you leave the dungeon and meet the open sky? It would really help to know for the title screen.
I'm trying to do something a bit more creative than the original's title screen :P.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

critor

@Dudeman313 no.
You've got the online Javascript version if you need to have a larger view :
https://tiplanet.org/hosted/crystann/

By the way, I've update the zip hosted at TI-Planet.org with an english readme.txt file, as some of you requested it. :)
https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=353827

Edit : I've just extracted the map image for the online version.

Dudeman313

Thanks, @critor . What does the Jade Statuette look like? I could put that on the title screen instead.
The answer is "Sure."

critor

Starting from the top left-hand corner, you find it in the 8th rooms column and 5th rooms row.
I don't really like its sprite, but it's the original one.

If you need sprites, here are they :

Dudeman313

I made a first draft title screen! What do you think, @critor ? I would've put the statuette in his hands, but my statuette looks much better than the original's. ;D

EDIT: I might have to make the characters a bit smaller...
The answer is "Sure."

Araidia

• Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dudeman313

You..WHAT?? You lost your precious CE that is the only calculator you own?!? I keep mine in my pocket @ all times!
:blah:
:walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

Dudeman313

Thanks! I think the sprites on the screen could be smaller, though. How do  you like my Jade Statuette? It has Pi on it for some strange reason. :blah:
The answer is "Sure."