Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-84+ce] Androides - Tilemap-based platformer for the CE, made in C

Started by critor, October 26, 2015, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriweb

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 05, 2015, 09:32:25 AMOne suggestion I have would be to add background variety, eg have a different background for each world.
Background take a lot of space though :( The 65k limitation was what forced the appvar use, actually, otherwise if everything was embedded in the program, it would have gone over that limit, making the 8xp invalid.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

alexgt

You could have backround types (like lava for some maps and trees for others) just reusing a few would add allot to the game without using to much RAM (I would think)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Couldn't the backgrounds be compressed to a lower color depth then decompressed? They could also be a lower resolution.

Otherwise what you could do is make the current background color different in each world and flipped horizontally.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

How come you're the pale guy in a white suit on the cover, while the yellow dudes are the killer androides, but it's reversed in the game? And if the androides look humanoid, why don't they kill each other? Game questions that may never be answered. I'm gonna make that a topic. :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

critor

Here are two playthroughs of the original Androides game, with the first 10 levels :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcaSO2QAlxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRVxh-js2TI

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, that is quite old school. Kinda odd to see a calculator port with better backgrounds (not from a calc programmer point of view, but I mean that people outside the calculator community probably don't always expect calculators to be more powerful than old computers)

Also those walkthroughs will be handy if I play again. I couldn't even beat the first level >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 11, 2016, 07:24:33 AM
Darn, that is quite old school. Kinda odd to see a calculator port with better backgrounds (not from a calc programmer point of view, but I mean that people outside the calculator community probably don't always expect calculators to be more powerful than old computers)
But the takeover is happening! Soon all the people with XP computers will sell them to Best Buy and replace them with CEs, which will rule the world!  >:D
But then again, they'll be replaced someday.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 11, 2016, 07:24:33 AM
Also those walkthroughs will be handy if I play again. I couldn't even beat the first level >.<
I'm stuck on level 23... :trollface:
There's only one enemy there....how....?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

VictoryFirst

I am currently stuck at level 15 and I think that that level is impossible. Can someone give me a walkthrough, or does anybody know where I can find a walkthrough? I play it on the TI-84 Plus CE-t calculator.

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya, so far I have only been unable to find a walkthrough for any level past level 9 on Youtube. It seems that this game was either almost completely forgotten and most info about it lost to time except for download links. All Google results just lead to completely irrelevant Android phone-related links, same for Duckduckgo. It probably lived in the shadow of Lode Runner, Great Giana Sisters and Mario series when it first came out in the 80's.

VictoryFirst

Hi, thanks for your reply. I believe the reason that there are no search results, is that the pc version of androides is only ten levels long, while the version for the graphical calculator has a lot more. And the calculator game is not the most popular thing out there.

I saw somebody in a youtube comment also saying that he got stuck on level 15, and that he also thinks the level is impossible. But on this thread, somebody said he was stuck on level 23. That means level 15 is possible but how?

I need to get in contact with someone who knows about the game, and also knows how to do level 15.

VictoryFirst

I just contacted the developer of the game, Xavier Andreani. Hopefully he can help me out.

critor

Sorry, but I am stuck at level 15 too.

I can see no transcription error between my port and the original 1986 game :

http://dcmoto.free.fr/programmes/super-androides/index.html