Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-84+ce] Androides - Tilemap-based platformer for the CE, made in C

Started by critor, October 26, 2015, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

critor

These last few days, I've been working (with some little help from Adriweb) on a game for the TI-83 Premium CE / TI-84 Plus CE, "Androides".
It's not a Mario, but it's still the first platformer game for the CE !

More accurately, it's an adaptation of a Lode Runner like game released in 1985 by Infogrames.

In this game, you have to collect all parcels of a room filled with walls, ladders and suspended hand-to-hand bars, in order to access the next room.
But you'll have to avoid the deadly android guardians who are constantly going to pursue you everywhere !
Fortunately, you can make a wall disappear for a short period in order to access new places or to trap androids.

Here's a Youtube playthrough up to the 3rd room :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlva4Um6Nk
But there are many more rooms if you dare ! ;)

For better performance, the game uses the CE's LCD 8bpp mode.
It features a new key scanning method compatible with simultaneous key presses. Quite useful to run before the very reactive androids !
It's also used to make block disappear, the key combo being [alphs]+[left/right].

As you can see, there is no lag. A useless sub loop has been adding specifically in order to slow down the game which was originally totally impossible.

Once again, the game was built thanks to the TI-Planet online C compiler for the CE, and as usual it's open-source.

Download : https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=335066
Link : online javascript demo (with much harmless androids :P )
Cross posted from : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17462&p=191299#p191299

Araidia

Nice, but do you have to download anything else before you can play? (Like Doors CSE or Textlib CE)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Adriweb

In fact, it happens to work more reliably when launched directly with Asm( than from Cesium. However, I changed something and it works 100% of the time from me, but not for some other people, from Cesium... :(
Edit: wait, Critor changed something else and apparently it works fine now, for both of us... :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

critor

Dream of Omnimaga

They predicted Android phones but misspelled it as Androides? O.O

Just kidding, I actually read the topic :P, this looks very cool. I wonder if you plan to release those games on ticalc.org as well while Travis still write some news? Those new games for the CE should get more exposure. :)

Anyway good job :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool :D, I am curious if they'll make it in time for 2015 POTY :)

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Cool, I have a friend that has a CE.... maybe I could test it out :3
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't have time to try the CE version yet, but I tried the JS version linked in the first post. How do you beat the first level? O.O

Adriweb

Look at the walkthrough (which is critor's youtube video showing the game :P)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah I mean the enemy always seemed faster than me :P. I'll check Critor's tutorial I guess

critor

Game update :
  • 90 new levels
  • saves your progression upon exit, and loads it automatically on the next execution
  • levels data is now stored in a separate archived appvar, which saves a lot of RAM
Download : https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=335066

Dream of Omnimaga

One suggestion I have would be to add background variety, eg have a different background for each world. Awesome update by the way. Saving on exit can be handy when you need to quit fast and I'm glad that levels can now be archived. THe calc has a lot of RAM but having stuff archived protects it against accidental RAM clears caused by other programs and betas. :)

alexgt

Awesome :)! I really wan't a CE now (for other reasons also to)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX