Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks better and better. I think you should make the game menu look like the battle menus for consistency purposes or maybe add a border to the game menu then make the battle menu a different color (eg blue with gray border). Also, inside houses you should add a row of wall tiles at the top like the ones in the middle with maybe some windows.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 26, 2015, 03:56:39 AM
Looks better and better. I think you should make the game menu look like the battle menus for consistency purposes or maybe add a border to the game menu then make the battle menu a different color (eg blue with gray border). Also, inside houses you should add a row of wall tiles at the top like the ones in the middle with maybe some windows.
Done, and done. Thanks for the suggestions! I also changed up the wood floor texture to make it look like a wood floor and added the code to give you exp and money if you win.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the new name by the way. It's clearer what the game is about now I think. Also I like the house better. You could add some tables maybe. This is coming along nicely.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 29, 2015, 04:33:25 AM
I like the new name by the way. It's clearer what the game is about now I think. Also I like the house better. You could add some tables maybe. This is coming along nicely.
Thanks so much! I have so much planned, and so much already done! Here's a new screenshot showing off leveling up, the items menu, and battle backgrounds!

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome progress. I like the icons and when leveling up I like how you can increase one stat of your choice. You should make the battle background blue or gray like the sky. :)

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 08, 2015, 04:30:31 AM
Awesome progress. I like the icons and when leveling up I like how you can increase one stat of your choice. You should make the battle background blue or gray like the sky. :)
Thanks so much! I was actually thinking about that, and I'll have to try and see if it'll work.

123outerme

As per DJ's request, I have changed the battle background for the first area. I have done lots of other things, too.
(Yes I know I post a lot of screenshots)

*Changed battle backround like previously stated
*Added stat points number to stats menu
*Put Back option at the top of the items menu
*Added NPC rendering and dialog. Currently only for the insides of houses but will be changed later.
*(not in the screenshot) Added bosses, although not dialog and pun yet.
*Added function to Block attack
*Changed outside house tiles

Left to do:
*Item management inside the Items menu
*Item management inside the battle menu
*The rest of the artwork
*Adding more content like maps, NPCs, etc.

Dream of Omnimaga

It looks better and better :D and closer to an RPG more and more now. Also I like the new backgrounds in battles. NOw I got an idea, but I am unsure how hard it would be to implement, but would you be able to add gradients to the sky background using line and rectangles in xLIBC? That might be a problem for very large magic spells such as lightning or comet, though, if the animation spans through the screen. I'll try to post a mockup if I can.

EDIT:

Basically, a gradient would be drawn, then lines on top of it, so the gradient would look like old NES and Atari games. It would be done through a For loop that increments by 1, 32 or 33 each iteration, depending of your choice (32 allows for lower gradient contrasts, thus, allowing dark rooms, while 33 allows some extra gradient choices, including one with lots of gray). I added extra gradient ideas in the mockup above to give you ideas. That increment setting could be set on dungeon loading in an extra list or variable element and if set to zero then no gradient would be applied.

Make sure to backup before experimenting, though, in case. :P

novenary

Looking good so far, it's kind of sad that you can't have nice animations on the CSE, would make the game more lively. Is it possible to change movement to be one or two pixels at a time ?

Dream of Omnimaga

Animations are actually possible by using some tricks such as switching back and forth between GRAM or drawing small stuff like lines. The screen also has hardware horizontal scrolling, 3 bits mode and inverting, which are instant.

novenary

I think smooth character movement would be a nice plus on there.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 10, 2015, 06:55:43 AM
It looks better and better :D and closer to an RPG more and more now. Also I like the new backgrounds in battles. NOw I got an idea, but I am unsure how hard it would be to implement, but would you be able to add gradients to the sky background using line and rectangles in xLIBC? That might be a problem for very large magic spells such as lightning or comet, though, if the animation spans through the screen. I'll try to post a mockup if I can.

EDIT: [large, impressive image]

Basically, a gradient would be drawn, then lines on top of it, so the gradient would look like old NES and Atari games. It would be done through a For loop that increments by 1, 32 or 33 each iteration, depending of your choice (32 allows for lower gradient contrasts, thus, allowing dark rooms, while 33 allows some extra gradient choices, including one with lots of gray). I added extra gradient ideas in the mockup above to give you ideas. That increment setting could be set on dungeon loading in an extra list or variable element and if set to zero then no gradient would be applied.

Make sure to backup before experimenting, though, in case. :P
That gradient looks amazing O.O I'll see if I can do that. It seems plausible but might add just a touch more loading time to initializing the battle screen. I think it'll definitely be worth it though.
Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 10, 2015, 12:19:57 PM
Looking good so far, it's kind of sad that you can't have nice animations on the CSE, would make the game more lively. Is it possible to change movement to be one or two pixels at a time ?
Unfortunately, movement can't be anything less than 8 pixel intervals. I tried 2 and 4, and both took a long time to move around.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 10, 2015, 05:29:15 PM
Animations are actually possible by using some tricks such as switching back and forth between GRAM or drawing small stuff like lines. The screen also has hardware horizontal scrolling, 3 bits mode and inverting, which are instant.
I haven't heard of 3 bits mode before, what exactly is it? Also for powerful attacks (like endgame type of stuff), I think I'll have inverting colors.

Also thanks to the mods for hooking me up with a sweet sub-forum! ;D

novenary

Quote from: 123outerme on November 10, 2015, 08:16:21 PM
Unfortunately, movement can't be anything less than 8 pixel intervals. I tried 2 and 4, and both took a long time to move around.
Yeah I figured. :/

You're welcome. :)

123outerme

I don't think it deserved it's own 5 minute long .gif, but I started item management! So far, you can only view the item icons and names in the items menu. You can't see them in the battle menu, nor can you do stuff with them in either menu.

Dream of Omnimaga

I haven't heard of 3 bits mode before, what exactly is it? Also for powerful attacks (like endgame type of stuff), I think I'll have inverting colors.

No problem :) and for the 8 bits mode, I mean real(0,3,VALUE). Setting value to 1 will turn the screen into 8 colors mode (only cyan, magenta, blue, red, yellow, limegreen, black and white will be used). This can be handy for extra animations, but that mode doesn't work in emulators.