Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 18, 2015, 10:40:46 PM
I like it so far :). Do you plan to make the title screen have some extra effects for the title so that the text is larger or something? I'm unsure how hard it would be without using sprites, though. Or you could use the remaining sprite space later for a larger title font.

Will there be battle backgrounds at the top, such as a row of tree sprites?
I think it will be pretty hard to make a larger title screen, but I could try to center the text. I have 15 empty tiles left so far, after planning out all of the tiles I need, so I probably can't make a custom font. The reason it's not certain is because I have 13 sprites reserved for future use in case I need stuff I haven't thought about. Even if I could, though, I'd probably use the extra space for more content.

I have thought about battle backgrounds, and I think maybe there will be the walkable ground tiles displayed on the topmost layer, as a row like you said. I'll have to see what I can do.

Another quick note is that I'm going to take my time with this and make sure AoU (Arcane of Uvutu) is good before I fully release it. If I can, I'll probably release beta builds.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Good idea. Just don't fall into an endless project restart loop like what someone on Omni mentioned, though. E:ToR went through this and it barely even survived and I saw many projects die because of that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 19, 2015, 03:45:04 AM
Good idea. Just don't fall into an endless project restart loop like what someone on Omni mentioned, though. E:ToR went through this and it barely even survived and I saw many projects die because of that.
Yeah, I'll try not to. It's just that some games I release in a complete but less-than-ideal state. I want to make sure I have all of the features I want before I call this project complete.

123outerme

So I have made a lot of progress. The battle screens are looking really nice, I've added a stats menu (with at least one stat missing actually DX), polished up the graphics and done a ton of behind-the-scenes work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you plan to add some magic animations in battles, like some of the ones in First Fantasy?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 22, 2015, 02:30:13 AM
Do you plan to add some magic animations in battles, like some of the ones in First Fantasy?
I have made two sets of moves, magic and melee. I haven't decided exactly how I'll use it, but ii know that you'll be able to use both.

Dream of Omnimaga

You could do like Illusiat 13 and feed the magic routines a list of sprites and colors then do animations from those.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 23, 2015, 06:09:43 AM
You could do like Illusiat 13 and feed the magic routines a list of sprites and colors then do animations from those.
What I did is just used a few rows of sprites and just defined the ones you can currently use in your save file.  When you enter a battle, it saves your 4 moves into a list, and when you enter a direction for an attack, if it exists, it saves the corresponding value to a variable and displays the sprite.

Dream of Omnimaga

Good move. Does it cause any slowdowns?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 23, 2015, 05:11:44 PM
Good move. Does it cause any slowdowns?
Not that I can tell, no. It's already been implemented, so you can see the speed at which it runs in the latest screenshot. I've also added the ability to create your own name, which is a lot of fun.

123outerme

Bump:
I made a screenshot. Like I said, you can create your own name. Now, the enemy can actually fight back, and the battle engine supports the Speed stat, which means that if you're faster you'll show your animation and do damage first, and if the enemy's faster then vice versa. As well as that, I've added battle ending messages like "You ran away" and "You won", and stuff like that. Also, I've decided to drop having a party because that would be insane to code and probably push me over 20 KB.

If anyone's interested, the program is at about 6500 bytes right now.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I like the name idea and I'm glad it doesn't just use the Input/Prompt commands like some of my old games. Also I am fine with no party. 1v1 RPGs can still be fun as long as they aren't too repetitive (which you are trying to fix with this game) and don't have an abusive amount of grinding to do.

c4ooo

Is there a possibility of having different attack sets for enemies? For example, for an ant you could have an attack called "stomp" and for, say a dragon you could have something like "chop of wing" (that would reduce its speed)?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 24, 2015, 08:21:49 PM
Oh I like the name idea and I'm glad it doesn't just use the Input/Prompt commands like some of my old games. Also I am fine with no party. 1v1 RPGs can still be fun as long as they aren't too repetitive (which you are trying to fix with this game) and don't have an abusive amount of grinding to do.
Yeah. My only worry is that level or money grinding will be an issue but if I play test a lot then I'll be able to fix it if it does happen.
Quote from: c4ooo on October 24, 2015, 09:59:52 PM
Is there a possibility of having different attack sets for enemies? For example, for an ant you could have an attack called "stomp" and for, say a dragon you could have something like "chop of wing" (that would reduce its speed)?
I don't think so. I have 32 attacks already, although 2 of those are the block animations. I could change the text and effects but I don't think I will. But different types of enemies have different attacks, even when you're in the same area.

123outerme

I added map transition stuff, including buildings! Also reworked the tile that was previously a flower, and made it a tree. Some other small stuff too. BTW I may change the texture for the wood floor in the house.