Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+] Lazer 2 [axe]

Started by c4ooo, September 08, 2015, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Download the latest version of Lazer II: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/464/46490.html
Well, after close to a year of direct / indirect work, it seems that Lazer II is just about done. Lazer 2 is a cool laser puzzle simulator game, where you must spin mirrors, using portals and buttons to your advantage, in order to make one or more lasers hit the target(s). The concept is similar to <that one laser game>, but there are major gameplay differences. (For example all lasers are shot simultaneously)
Lazer II is a sequel/rewrite to the TI-Basic game, Lazer I, which can still be found here. As the level editor is going to be released next weak, (it will be part of the main file) I may fas well call this project "done" :) (That makes two done projects for me  8) )
Lazer 2 adds the following to Lazer 1:

• Re-Writen in axe, every thing faster!
  • Greyscale
  • Level packs
  • level editor
  • Switches and gates
Note: old screenshot

Image thanks to @chickendude

Read the readme.txt for how to play the game :)

I would like to thank@Runer112 for the greyscale code and @chickendude for bug testing :) (and gif)

Dream of Omnimaga

Good job on this so far, or is it complete already? I like how it looks like, even better than the original, and the use of the grayscale is nice. :)

Mind if I clone this topic in the file downloads archives? (which consists in making this topic show up in multiple forum categories at once)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 08, 2015, 04:42:41 AM
Good job on this so far, or is it complete already? I like how it looks like, even better than the original, and the use of the grayscale is nice. :)
The core mechanics are mostly all done, but the game has few levels :P

Mind if I clone this topic in the file downloads archives? (which consists in making this topic show up in multiple forum categories at once)
Sure! :D

NB: ticalc.irg is still pending the file aorn

alexgt

Looks great, I am letting a friend loan my 84+ so I will put a game or two on it and this might be one ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on September 08, 2015, 10:47:23 AM
The core mechanics are mostly all done, but the game has few levels :P

Sure! :D

NB: ticalc.irg is still pending the file aorn
It's approved now. I'll give it a try when I have a chance. Also that last typo could be interpreted in various ways :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

erm... i think i see what you are getting at  O.O But "aorn" is a contraction for "as of right now". :P

Snektron

ohh that looks sweet :) I will try it out soon
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on September 10, 2015, 07:11:06 PM
erm... i think i see what you are getting at  O.O But "aorn" is a contraction for "as of right now". :P
Oh I see. It's the first time I ever see this acronym being used. :P

c4ooo

I havnt bean programming latly do to lack of time/energy/motivation, but today i added a new feture allowing the laser to optionaly traval at 2 pixels per frame. I plan on having 4 different speed setting (1pxl/frame with pause, 1pxl/frame, 2pxl/frame with pause, 2pxl/frame) There is a way to make the lazer go slower in the current version by pressing the enter button, but its mostly a debug feature, and not well made.

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear about your motivation/time/etc, glad to see a new update though :). Speed settings seems like a cool idea. :)

c4ooo

Bump
I have released the third version, v2.2.
Here is a changelog:
+MAD optimization
+Over 20 new levels, but maybe more ;)
+Pressing [ + ] will make the lasers go 2 pixels at a time, and [Enter] will pause it.
+The game now requires only 1500 bytes at run time, which is a less arbitrary number then 2000B was :P
+Minor visual improvements
+Level name can be seen in the level selection menu.
The game itself looks relatively the same as before... so no need for a screenie.

ticalc.org is still aproving, so you guys might have to wait a few days before you can try it out ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see new levels. I need to try the new version when it comes out. :)

Will level packs with no level names still be supported?

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 18, 2015, 11:15:08 PM
Glad to see new levels. I need to try the new version when it comes out. :)

Will level packs with no level names still be supported?
Thanks ;D

No, nameless levels are not supported, but you can use a space. When i actually make a level editor, (hopefully soon) i can also make an option for a "nameless level", where it will automaticly place either a space, or a FE char, which is a black dot. (the last 8 or so chars in the char set are black dots, but i cant use the FF char because that is a special byte in the level loading code)

Dream of Omnimaga

So if anyone made level packs before, then he now needs to remake them due to lack of name support being phased out? I guess it's ok if no one has made levels yet, but otherwise, could you make it like MirageOS programs that lack a description?

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 19, 2015, 03:39:04 AM
So if anyone made level packs before, then he now needs to remake them due to lack of name support being phased out? I guess it's ok if no one has made levels yet, but otherwise, could you make it like MirageOS programs that lack a description?
Ehh?
I think we are on different pages :P
No one has made packs before because there was never an editor :P Also levels are stored in a custom format, and it would be much easier to have the editor insert a random invisible char then to test if a name exists :P (Although now that I think of it I don't think that anything will fail if the save file lacks names)

Originally I planed to have the ability to have many custom packs, as well as several official ones, but I think the best that will happen is the ability to edit from a max of 225 levels  :-\ At least there I still plan an editor.