Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

ASCII Video Generator [UCC2]

Started by Jarren Long, September 14, 2017, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_iPhoenix_

Ahh so it just filled it all with char DB.

That's why I though a custom palette could be cool;)
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Jarren Long

More or less. Here's the font I threw together for testing, minus the char->bitmap definitions. Wouldn't be too hard to +/- characters, or change colors once I can bust the charmaps out of the code and dump them into a config file.

Jarren Long

Latest Updates (not many):

* Bunch of memory optimizations, now doing some of the processing in parallel, so I got a nice speed boost (ballpark of 7-8x faster) and memory reduction (about 70% less memory) in the image conversion process. Video conversion now only takes about a minute for every second of video to process at higher quality settings with coloring enabled. Only a minute :/
* Fonts are now XML-file configurable; characters used for output can be added/removed at will, and the font bitmap can be changed too. I have three fonts right now, all based on the same bitmaps
- Full set: 69 possible output characters (all printable characters from ASCII 1-128) - Slowest, best results
- Only Symbols: Full set, minus all letters/numbers - Middle ground for speed vs. accuracy
- Two character Set: It's either a # or a space - Fastest, edge resolution leaves a bit to be desired
* Added a command line program that can be used to call the API. Takes an input image, some flags, and spits out the result to a destination file
* Now have a "rescale" option, lets the output image be scaled back to the same size as the input image to fix some of the distortion problems (Console app only right now, need to add a checkbox to the WinForms test app to toggle it)
* With exception to the code snippets that handle the FFMPEG/AVI formats, everything is written in pure C#, should be easy to port to other .NET platforms now

B&W Video Test:
Color Video Test:

ordelore

This is looking really neat! i'm particularly impressed with how accurate the color ascii looks. It kinda reminds me of late 90s PC game illustration.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+SE, TI_Nspire CX
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: ordelore on October 01, 2017, 03:16:54 AM
This is looking really neat! i'm particularly impressed with how accurate the color ascii looks. It kinda reminds me of late 90s PC game illustration.

I agree; it looks very beautifully crappy in a very awesome nostalgic way.

Evolution of my avatar:

RalphDSpam

Looks neat!

Just out of curiosity, how good is this as a "compression algorithm"?
If you put each frame of raw text in a file and zipped it, how would it compare to the original video?

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks awesome given the limitations!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: xlibman on October 08, 2017, 10:32:53 PM
Looks awesome given the limitations!

No kidding!

Both entries (I'm making an [un]safe assumption that there are only two) are exceptional, and it will be quite the challenge to judge them.

I'll probably enlist the help of some IRL friends to help me with the judging, and will post their results on the official unofficial thread.

Evolution of my avatar:

Jarren Long

Now that the contest is over, I've released the source code for this atrocity, see https://github.com/JarrenLong/bmp2ascii, in case anyone is interested in this big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey trainwreck, have at it! Hoping @Juju will be letting his out into the wild sometime soon too, I'm definitely curious to see that magical goodness in action :)

Yuki

Quote from: Jarren Long on October 18, 2017, 08:30:39 PM
Hoping @Juju will be letting his out into the wild sometime soon too, I'm definitely curious to see that magical goodness in action :)
I'm going to update my topic, you won't believe line 12! #clickbait
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder how is the performance like, considering that some softwares have trouble displaying text at a reasonable speed. Even the TI-84+ OS font display had that problem, to the point where ASM sprites were actually faster
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U