Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[3DO] Evil Australians - A new platforming game for PC & consoles[Dreamcast][PC]

Started by gameblabla, February 03, 2017, 12:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 04:58:38 AM
Maybe @gameblabla could update the title screen to say JamesV & tr1p1ea-approved :trollface:
Wait until they play the game and get the ending :trollface:

Btw, i have updated the game with the new routines from snektron (thanks !) and the clean-up that comes with it.
It should run a little faster on Pentium hardware :P
However this sped up the 3DO port considerably. It is still not fullspeed though...
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

gameblabla

Bump.
My last release was crashing on level 3 because i forgot to put some outbound checking on the new collision function...
This is a bit embarrassing but i have fixed this.
I also have (tried) to optimize rendering for the background tiles but the improvement is very slight.

All ports were fixed, feel free to download the new version (same link, first post).

Also, i'm working on the N64 port but for now it's very buggy.
Hopefully i can figure this out in the next few hours before the ludum dare closes :P

EDIT: I have ported the game to the N64, it looks identical to the PC & Dreamcast release.
It has no sound because libmikmod, the only sound library available, does not work properly...
The N64 port is very smooth and is fluid, i was honestly surprised !

It is partially hardware accelerated (the background tiles) but everything else is software rendered,
because the N64's RDP (texture unit) has a ridiculous amount of VRAM space : 4k !

To emulate the N64 port, you need to use MESS 0.156 and put the file n64.zip (BIOS files, it can be found in MESS romset) in the roms directory.
Then start the game like so in the command line :
mess.exe n64 -cart evil_australians.v64
And the game will run.

Dream of Omnimaga

Are textures blurred on the N64? Anyway nice to see progress and bug fixes :). I'll try it on the PC soon
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2017, 05:46:34 PM
Are textures blurred on the N64? Anyway nice to see progress and bug fixes :). I'll try it on the PC soon
Background tiles, which are using the RDP, might still suffer from a second filtering pass on a real Nintendo 64.
The second pass can't be turned off on the RDP through software, sadly.
Everything else is software rendered and thus, they are not affected by the hardware filtering.
The only way to completely destroy the N64's filtering is to use the UltraHDMI and turn on VI-Deblur option.

If filtering is an issue, i can switch the background tiles to software rendered.

c4ooo

Quote from: gameblabla on February 03, 2017, 12:58:24 AM
I'm also planning a N64 port, like i did with Opossum Massage Simulator.
Not trying to be rude - I just don't understand - why port it to a N64, when most people are going to play the N64 port in an emulator - running on a PC - the original platform? :P

gameblabla

Quote from: c4ooo on February 07, 2017, 02:53:59 AM
Not trying to be rude - I just don't understand - why port it to a N64, when most people are going to play the N64 port in an emulator - running on a PC - the original platform? :P
Well because poor DJ can't buy an everdrive for 100$...He often complained to me about it. :p
Of course, if you own a Doctor V64 or an Everdrive, that's not an issue.

I will add more levels once MiniLD is done.
The deadline has been extended so i improved the 3DO port, which now works smoothly and is on par with the PC&DC ports.

Dream of Omnimaga

@gameblabla thanks for explaining the blurring issue. Since the game graphics are kinda blocky, would the blur effect be less intense?
Quote from: c4ooo on February 07, 2017, 02:53:59 AM
Quote from: gameblabla on February 03, 2017, 12:58:24 AM
I'm also planning a N64 port, like i did with Opossum Massage Simulator.
There are websites that produces custom SNES cartridges for those who either want specific ROMs on a real cart or are willing to sell their own games. There is also a company that publishes Sega Genesis games on real cartriges as well. I don't know if that exists for the Nintendo 64, though. In any case, it would be interesting to know if this game runs on a real console. Now imagine if Gameblabla could make a custom cart+label.

If BeX is a viable development option and is compatible with Deflatemask music, then who knows? Maybe CW could eventually sell Sega Genesis games with Walrii in it via Magical Games Factory or on their own. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 07, 2017, 04:20:11 AM
@gameblabla thanks for explaining the blurring issue. Since the game graphics are kinda blocky, would the blur effect be less intense?
Actually on 2D elements, it's extremely annoying and the second pass makes 2D elements ugly.
if you want to know more about it, check out my life in gaming's RGB video about the N64 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpy1M6v2_MI
The 3DO also had a different but still annoying issue : all games were using 480i by default, rather than 240p.
However unlike the N64, progressive scan can be enabled through software and that's naturally what i did with this game.

QuoteThere are websites that produces custom SNES cartridges for those who either want specific ROMs on a real cart or are willing to sell their own games. There is also a company that publishes Sega Genesis games on real cartriges as well. I don't know if that exists for the Nintendo 64, though. In any case, it would be interesting to know if this game runs on a real console. Now imagine if Gameblabla could make a custom cart+label.
While making N64 carts is definitively possible, it is expensive, due to the CIC chip that is required for authentication.
I guess this could be bypassed through the expansion port but nobody other than the Doctor V64 tried that,
especially since some N64 models such as the Pikachu one lacks it.

QuoteIf BeX is a viable development option and is compatible with Deflatemask music, then who knows? Maybe CW could eventually sell Sega Genesis games with Walrii in it via Magical Games Factory or on their own. :P
If Deflatemask can export to VGM then it is BeX compatible. You can also thanks to BeX make a Sega CD version of your game and use CDDA music tracks instead.
But i don't want to deal with BeX ever again, despite me being the proud owner of a Mega CD/Megadrive combo ! :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the video. I didn't know that everything was anti-aliased on the 64 (I thought that only textures were)

By the way, fun game, although it would be nice if there was an option to disable the "always shoot in same direction as long as an arrow is pressed" thing, since it makes it extremely difficult to aim toward enemies that moves back and forth.

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 08, 2017, 01:50:47 AM
By the way, fun game, although it would be nice if there was an option to disable the "always shoot in same direction as long as an arrow is pressed" thing, since it makes it extremely difficult to aim toward enemies that moves back and forth.
You actually find my scheme to be worse, playability-wise ? hmm...
I might add an option to disable it, since it's just one single line of code.

The deadline has been indefinitely extended, that sucks as my game (among others) are still not reviewed by the guy and they already
started another MiniLD ! lol

Kind of offtopic but i managed to make my first demo running on the Sega CD32X.
That's right : it's a CD game that can take advantage of the 32X POWER !
But because the example is cographic in nature, i can't share it yet :(
Hopefully i can use it to port other games such as Opossum or even this one.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, they extended the deadline indefinitvely? O.O I hope it doesn't end up like the final Void Productions contest (started 2001, ended 2005).

Also glad you managed to make a Sega CD 32X thing lol. Shame that few people own both add-ons/can afford them.

Ranman

This is cool.  8)

I'm really curious about your wrapper library that you developed. Does it allow you to easily move and recompile for the platforms that you mentioned.

Neato!!
  • Calculators owned: TI-89 HW1, TI-92+, Casio 9860G Slim, Casio fx6300, Tandy PC7
Ranman
Bringing Randy Glover's Jumpman to the TI-89 calculator. Download available at Ticalc.

tr1p1ea

I actually had a lay-by on the Sega CD 32X but cancelled it when the N64 was announced/released as my aunty had bought us one for Christmas lol!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on March 17, 2017, 12:03:17 AM
I actually had a lay-by on the Sega CD 32X but cancelled it when the N64 was announced/released as my aunty had bought us one for Christmas lol!
I did not even have a Sega Genesis back then. As kid, I kept hearing about Nintendo and told my mom I wanted one. But we couldn't afford both at once and we wanted Mario. :P

gameblabla

Quote from: Ranman on March 16, 2017, 06:34:43 PM
I'm really curious about your wrapper library that you developed. Does it allow you to easily move and recompile for the platforms that you mentioned.
Yes, it makes it easier to port games, but you have to stick to some limitations. (due to the numerous platforms it needs to support)
16-bits graphics at 320x240, 60 FPS, no pixel drawing, one joystick is supported etc...
On some platforms like the 3DO or N64, it may need some modifications but on others (GCW0, Atari Falcon, Nspire), it doesn't.

For the CD32X thing, i don't fully understand it and one thing that is particulary hairy : transfer from the Sega CD to 32X.
Since they cannot share memory, it's very difficult to communicate between the SH2 processor and the Motorola proc inside the SCD.
No need how i'm gonna do that (maybe use the Genesis tile layer and read it ?)

As for MiniLD 71, it seems that he never intended to review all games... so it's over already.