Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[3DO] Evil Australians - A new platforming game for PC & consoles[Dreamcast][PC]

Started by gameblabla, February 03, 2017, 12:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Here's a new game i worked on for the Ludum Dare Retro : Evil Australians.

Evil Australians is a video game developed by me, gameblabla.
It's a platforming arena game made from scratch with the help of my own library, Gameblabla's Wrapper.
The game has several missions and in each mission, you are stuck in an arena where
you must defeat all the remaining enemies.
To defeat the enemies, you have a rapid-fire gun that can shoot several bullets at the same time.

3DO version

Story
John, living in Australia, is an avid video game collector.
However, he learns from the news that the Australian government is soon going to ban video games.
John became furious :
he grabs his weapons and swears vengeance on the government.

However 7 years ago,
the government collected his own DNA as part of a secret project.
This secret project allowed the government to steal DNAs from all the aussies.
The Government learned of John's plan and they used his DNA to build an entire clone army of himself.

John is now facing an entire army of himself,
will he make it alive and finally kill the law ?

Controls (PC)
Use a Gamepad or the following keyboard keys :
X : Jump
C : Shoot
Cursor keys : Move

Download
Itch.io

Dreamcast
3DO
Old PCs on Windows 95/NT4
Modern PCs
N64
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

That story is weird O.O (reminds me of Hong Kong 97). Anyway gonna give it a try later. Glad to see a new game from you, :) albeit with a questionable title :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 12:47:47 AM
That story is weird O.O (reminds me of Hong Kong 97).
Play the game, get the ending and you'll get offended, probably :P
That being said, yes, the story was written in a similar way to HK97 but i swear that was not intentional at first lol

Quotealbeit with a questionable title :P
I know, right ?
KILL DAH AUSSIES ! (Please don't go out and kill them for real, lol)

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed about the latter. There was already enough singling out of specific nations in the world lately <_<

By the way do you mind if I put tags in your topic title so I can list it in the games download section?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 12:56:51 AM
By the way do you mind if I put tags in your topic title so I can list it in the games download section?
Go ahead !
I would be glad to hear your feedback !

I'm also planning a N64 port, like i did with Opossum Massage Simulator.

Dream of Omnimaga

If you do a N64 port you should try to make it compatible with both emulators and the real console, because not everyone can afford the $200 Everdrive :P

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 01:01:56 AM
If you do a N64 port you should try to make it compatible with both emulators and the real console, because not everyone can afford the $200 Everdrive :P
But doing so would mean violating Nintendo's old TOS and be stuck with a crappy devkit.
Emulators should fix their crappy job, not me :P
On the good side though, it (and Opossum) should work properly again on MAME latest version but i need to try it again.

Dream of Omnimaga

Isn't there a way to do like with web browsers and run different code based on if the game runs on the real thing instead of an emulator? Or is that out of the question? In any case, I personally wouldn't want to develop on a game console if I can't even test the game to see if it works at all. <_<

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 01:49:51 AM
Isn't there a way to do like with web browsers and run different code based on if the game runs on the real thing instead of an emulator? Or is that out of the question? In any case, I personally wouldn't want to develop on a game console if I can't even test the game to see if it works at all. <_<
That's basically what i did with Opossum Massage Simulator but a bit different : it uses a common codebase among all platforms.
Opossum Massage Simulator actually works on MAME, it's just that later versions broke input support so you can't interact with the game.
I was able to test it by setting checkpoints.
I might do a MAME package so everyone can try the N64 port

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. And yeah what I meant was like CSS and Javascript, where your code checks which browser the user uses and if it uses IE6, it runs a different piece of code, another for Firefox, another for Opera, etc, when it's impossible to do otherwise without breaking cross-compatibility.

JamesV

As a fair dinkum Aussie bloke, all I can say is CRIKEY!

This gives me much chuckles :) (Although yes please don't actually kill us, most of us are quite nice.. Most of us :) )

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol JamesV. And yes I agree, especially you and @tr1p1ea :P (still a shame Belle Haven couldn't do the trip to Canada last time D: )

tr1p1ea

*Laugh hysterically*

Bloody struth mate!

Nice work mate, I like the graphics especially., a classic. This would probably make the news over here :).

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe @gameblabla could update the title screen to say JamesV & tr1p1ea-approved :trollface: