Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-84+ce] SQRXZ for TI-84+CE

Started by JamesV, December 14, 2016, 01:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on December 29, 2016, 03:49:06 PM
such a frame is a great idea :D
But make sure it's just as dark as the rest of the game :)

Buuut I'm actually worried about aone part:
if he addds a border around it, the screen will get even smaller.
Then he would deefinitely have to implement y-scrolling.
The reason why the screen is smaller is because the original SQRXZ came out on the TI-86, which used 16x8 tilemaps. He's keeping the screen 16x8 on the CE because having to modify all maps to be adapted to the larger screen size would be too much hassle. Kinda the same reason why if I ever port Reuben to the CE that it will use 24x24 tiles or 3x zoom 8x8 tiles.

That said, for existing worlds, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to write a script that automatically adds extra rows of tiles at the top of each map, such as sky tiles or blocks, depending of if the world is underground or not, to make the map look larger.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Enemies have now been added in - you can see the Blob and Hedgehog in the below screenshot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I like how the metal blocks flashes a bit when you hit them :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Another small update showing Sqrxz running animation, a couple of other enemies and simple status bar text at the bottom showing lives, sausages collected and the level number. I'll probably add a 2nd font for the status bar text to look like the original PC game.. :)

The game is almost running fully as per the TI-85/86/83, etc. versions. Once it is, I'll start refining it further.

Dream of Omnimaga

Really beautiful. Do you plan to add stuff at the top of the screen too, such as the stage name, number, the game title and other stuff?

p2

Quote from: JamesV on January 06, 2017, 04:55:49 AM
Enemies have now been added in - you can see the Blob and Hedgehog in the below screenshot.

I love the blob  :love:

but am I mistaken or is the ground as well as the big rock fickering a little bit...?
(might only be the gif of cause)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 09, 2017, 08:14:56 AM
Really beautiful. Do you plan to add stuff at the top of the screen too, such as the stage name, number, the game title and other stuff?
In the short term, yes I'll be putting the world name and author. Down the track I'll experiment with increasing the level height, depending on performance.

Quote from: p2 on January 09, 2017, 11:38:54 AM
I love the blob  :love:

but am I mistaken or is the ground as well as the big rock fickering a little bit...?
(might only be the gif of cause)
That's just the GIF :)

I've improved my font routines to now support multiple font packages (shown below in the status area). It's currently limited to monospace fonts, with the characters being 15x15 pixels maximum. But it allows for either textured or non-textured fonts, and the option for transparent font drawing if you want to maintain the background behind text, or opaque font drawing if you want to remove trash as the string is being rendered.

JamesV

The game is pretty much finished. I just have a couple of minor bugs to iron out, and I also want to experiment with the possibility of having a larger play screen size. Additionally, I think I'll write a Windows world editor, as the old world editor supplied back in the TI-83/85/86 days needs Dosbox to run on modern computers, which is inconvenient.

p2

I dont think you would need anything else than monospace fonts... It's not like there are long dialogues in the game ;)
(great choice, that red font, firs perfectly!)
that robot' walking animation is both super weird and cute  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

JamesV

Quote from: p2 on January 12, 2017, 09:07:31 AM
I dont think you would need anything else than monospace fonts... It's not like there are long dialogues in the game ;)
(great choice, that red font, firs perfectly!)
that robot' walking animation is both super weird and cute  :thumbsup:
Heh, he's actually a little bug (apparently). He's a Sqrxz (pronounced skwerks), and he loves sausages :P Yeah the red font is cool! It's taken from the PC version, so I can't take credit for it.

The game is finished and I've done some final work today separating the sprite & title screen data into separate appvars to reduce the program size. The game file is less than 11KB. All other data & world files can be put in the Archive to save RAM space.

I also added a dark blue background to the play screen to give it a slight separation from the status bar and world details.

Now I'll start working on a Windows world editor :)

Lionel Debroux

I'm sure the MacOS X & Linux users would love a natively portable world editor, like Oiram's :)
But I do understand that it's more work in the short term if you're not familiar with Qt.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

JamesV

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on January 13, 2017, 07:02:12 AM
I'm sure the MacOS X & Linux users would love a natively portable world editor, like Oiram's :)
But I do understand that it's more work in the short term if you're not familiar with Qt.
I wasn't familiar with Qt, but it looks interesting and I'm downloading it now to give it a try :) A cross-platform compatible world editor would be ideal!

Lionel Debroux

Qt isn't perfect, but over time it's become the way to make cross-platform C/C++ GUI programs :)
It can be used for non-GUI programs as well, though in this case, special care needs to be taken not to over-use it.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

aetios

I only just noticed this thread, I really like the aesthetic of the game. I was just wondering if you noticed that the first level says 'briefing' instead of 'briefing'? Or is that something in the level itself?

Voicing my support for a cross-platform level editor.
ceci n'est pas une signature

p2

You should start reading ALL threads so there is no unread content left by the end of every week ^^
you put the same string 'briefing' twice ;D