Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Android]Supersonic Ball[PC]

Started by Yuki, November 14, 2014, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

This is the PC and Android port of DJ Omnimaga's Supersonic Ball, originally for TI-83+. In this game, you are a bouncing ball trying to get through a bunch of tunnels.

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I liked how this came out, although I felt that at the same time there were some issues that made the game somewhat look unpolished or incomplete, especially considering there is a paid copy:

-Some features are missing compared to the TI-83+ original. For example, the background in Level 3 and 9 should normally scroll by itself (backwards in LV 9) or be animated to act like it's scrolling. The animations speed are sometimes wrong too.
-Although on the PC it's fine, on my Nexus 5 the frame rate is extremely choppy. I'm unsure if much can be done about it due to the language limitations, though, but I suspect that you are rendering the entire map every frame rather than only what's visible.
-We can change the resolution as we see fit, which gives an unfair gaming advantage to people playing in full screen mode. I think that instead, the game should scale itself up (using no smoothening filtering on the sprites) so that it always remains a 20x15 sprite grid in 4:3 or 27x15 in 16:9.
-Since there is music, maybe some bouncing or hit sound effects could be added.
-Also the highscore list no longer works.
-The title screen logo animation is missing
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

This needs a port to the Nspire :3 Wouldn't be too hard, I think.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

I agree. It would probably either need to be Ndless with full graphics like the above or Lua with limited graphics and scrolling. I think it should probably stick more to the original, though, by adding missing features mentionned above (although screen resolution should not be a problem).

Here is the level 3 background as it should be (looping through 4 cloud tiles at 20 fps like the original, although you could make it just scroll pixel by pixel with an offset value)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U