Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-84+ce] Checkers

Started by MateoConLechuga, March 25, 2016, 11:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MateoConLechuga

Because of the advent of C, the CE is open to a lot more possibilities. I went ahead and grabbed a nice looking checkers engine and coded the interface and GUI around it, including user movement and such. Now you can play checkers against a pretty difficult AI :) Or even make the calculator play against itself, which is enjoyable to watch I guess. Anywho, here's some screenshots and hopefully the download will be up shortly. It also auto-saves all the positioning and board information, so reloading your games is a breeze. Hopefully the source is inspirational to someone :P All told, this took about a day to make, so in all seriousness, I <3 C.

Download: CheckersCE

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks very nice. I wonder if I could beat the AI. Is it quite fast? It would be interesting to see the calc beat itself.  Are there difficulty settings?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 25, 2016, 04:49:04 PM
Looks very nice. I wonder if I could beat the AI. Is it quite fast? It would be interesting to see the calc beat itself.  Are there difficulty settings?
The AI is rather hard, so good luck :) There are no difficulty settings, mainly because this is supposed to make you good at checkers, not  be too easy :P (Maybe I'll add that later) Anywho, it is very fast, there's minimal wait time for thinking just to give you time to think.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. Maybe you should put a warning on ticalc.org that it's intended to be very hard and not for novice players, so that you don't get bad reviews due to the game being too hard. :P

Also wait, do you have a time limit to perform moves too? O.O

* DJ Omnimaga hopes that's not the type of game that cannot be beaten without tool-assisted speedrun means :P (like Kaizo Mario levels and Superman 64)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I wonder if you could beat your own AI?  ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 25, 2016, 11:00:09 PM
Aah ok. Maybe you should put a warning on ticalc.org that it's intended to be very hard and not for novice players, so that you don't get bad reviews due to the game being too hard. :P
Haha, perhaps. :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 25, 2016, 11:00:09 PMAlso wait, do you have a time limit to perform moves too? O.O
No, not at all :P

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 26, 2016, 01:29:59 AM
I've only done it once.  ;)

Dudeman313

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on March 26, 2016, 04:56:26 AM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 26, 2016, 01:29:59 AM
I've only done it once.  ;)
Out of how many times did you try? :P
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope that somebody is ever able to beat it, unlike my first castle level in Super Mario Maker O.O (it was only beaten once, out of 200 tries)

Dudeman313

Well, it could always be given to Google and played against the World Chess Champion...
The answer is "Sure."

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk